Audi R8 Forums banner

Radio trim for aftermarket install

215K views 884 replies 137 participants last post by  EuroBoutique 
#1 ·
Just for you r8 owners that wanted to change for factory head unit with a aftermarket unit such as pioneer, kenwood etc...

In Japan the factory head units are different and has a clean 2din install

So with this factory piece you can get a clean install of any aftermarket head unit

I'll attach the picture so you can see what it looks like
I think this part is only available with audi Japan but do not quote me on that

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If that is indeed a factory piece, do you happen to have the Audi part number?

#7 ·
Here is a picture of the actual radio/Navi trim for factory Head unit made by clarion Japan for the Audi R8

I picked it up from Audi today

The Japan factory head unit is different from the rest I the world

I am attaching a picture of a 2 din pioneer Navi head unit already installed with the Japan factory Audi trim piece

The Audi factory part number is J42 AE2 C12

So if anyone wants to change their head unit now you can with a factory trim from Audi...

And as for steering wheel functions just buy a PAC steering wheel control adapter... I'm going to install it soon when I got some time...

Hope this info helps

Attachments

#9 ·
I don't know why JDM r8 mostly LHD.... They do have RHD but it's very rare ...

As for wanting the same bezel for right hand drive you are in luck they do have it
Here is a picture from a RHD r8 with the clean double din bezel

If you want i can get the part number for you... Just send me a PM and I'll get it for you

Attachments

#735 ·
Hi bud,

Am new to this forum and found your helpful post regarding RHD Audi R8 bezel surround from Audi that one could buy. Any idea what it may have cost you back then? Would be great if you could please share the part number for the RHD. Also would you know if any Audi dealership should be able to source it?

Also you mentioned about some PAC steering wheel control adaptor, does that have to be ordered from Audi too or any aftermarket part would work? Excuse the ignorance, just lack of knowledge but really want a aftermarket stereo that actually works and does what I want and is current than the factory one that does nothing.

Look forward to your help.
Thanks.

#12 ·
Ok everyone I made it to Audi and here are the part numbers for the trim piece to change your radio head unit to a aftermarket head:
RHD: J42-AE2-C14
LHD: J42-AE2-C12

Here is a picture of my car with the brand new pioneer head unit.... Love this head unit... CarPlay... Bluetooth YouTube songs... 2d and 3D Navi etc....

Well hope I was helpful anyone got questions just shoot me a message

Attachments

#25 ·
shooted you 2 messages and no answer so far.
At which Audi Dealer did you get it?
My friend is the director of a luxury hotel in Tokio and let his concierge organize this doesn't matter in which location in japan it is and ship it to me in switzerland via internal post. Just posted here or PM me PLEASE.....
Or you can buy it an post it to me in switzerland, I will pay upfront and you are allowed to make some money with it too;)

#16 ·
I am curious about the steering wheel functions too. if they do work i propose a group buy. I would love to get a better system to replace my existing stereo/nav system.

#17 · (Edited)
Steering wheel control is no problem, pioneer has a working adapter. Review camera you can use pioneer version which is much cheaper them oem one and you want to retrofit one if you don't have one. There is an adapter for oem one too. Problem is the B&O connection and I wanna definitly keep this as you have to spent a fortune to get the same soundquality and more space, the radio is the bottleneck for the b&o. try to order the part already via my audi dealer.
Hpaudio maybe have a ready made loom for b&o connection but not confirmed yet

#19 ·
Part numbers are on page 1 of this thread Pioneer headunit is japanese one and not out over here. You can take every Pioneer 2-Din headunit, most of them are android car play and Iphone ready.let yourcar audio.dealer suggest you one that suits you.
Install definitly via car audio guys, technic behind is a3 and you need adapters which they know which one. Your audi dealer has no know how about this....

#21 ·
No luck finding it for US so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.