Crackles (Overrun) on a 1st Gen R8?

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crackles (Overrun) on a 1st Gen R8?

Crackles (Overrun) on a 1st Gen R8?

I have a 2010 V10 R8 with a Rev9 Titanium exhaust installed. Is it possible to create the right amount of crackles and pops without it being too much or exaggerated?

Would this require an engine remap? New tune?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Crackles (Overrun) on a 1st Gen R8?

Yep. Over-run is part of the ECU tune. Is your exhaust valved? Does it sound any different in sport mode? I'm tuned, but only get Rice Krispies in sport mode.

Quote Originally Posted by GT#298 View Post
    Yep. Over-run is part of the ECU tune. Is your exhaust valved? Does it sound any different in sport mode? I'm tuned, but only get Rice Krispies in sport mode.
    No valves, so doesn't sound different in sport mode. Any recommendations for the ECU tune?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

There are many different schools there. I went with APR, partly because I'm invested, but mostly because I love what they did for my SQ5. It's been the most fun / best all-around daily driver I've ever had, and this GT has been my best weekend warrior, too.

My only power mods have been the APR tune and the QuickSilver valved exhaust. My valves are normally open, which is typically how I leave them, but I can press "On" on the remote if I need it to be quiet. It always starts with sport mode off, and I will drive like that, without the raudi pops when gearing down. Once it warms up and I turn on sport mode, hello Rice Krispies! I like my setup, but then so does everyone (like their own setup) that's already spent the money.
    Last edited by GT#298; 12-17-2018 at 12:31 AM.

I have the APR tune and a valved Capristo and don't get hardly any crackles on the over run. Now and again if everything is nice and hot you will get the odd pop, but nothing of any note.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GT#298 View Post
    There are many different schools there. I went with APR, partly because I'm invested, but mostly because I love what they did for my SQ5. It's been the most fun / best all-around daily driver I've ever had, and this GT has been my best weekend warrior, too.

My only power mods have been the APR tune and the QuickSilver valved exhaust. My valves are normally open, which is typically how I leave them, but I can press "On" on the remote if I need it to be quiet. It always starts with sport mode off, and I will drive like that, without the raudi pops when gearing down. Once it warms up and I turn on sport mode, hello Rice Krispies! I like my setup, but then so does everyone (like their own setup) that's already spent the money.
    I also have the APR tune, but have a Capristo exhaust...I don't get any crackles :-(

My tune was done back in 2013...when did you get yours? Maybe yours is a newer tune, where crackles were added?
    2011 R8 V10 Sepang Blue | Stasis suspension & sway bar | Capristo exhaust | APR tune | BMC Racing Filters | 20" Vellano VCX Concave wheels | Maxton front lip | CF side skirt extensions | CF nav surround | CF rear diffuser | CF alcantara wheel | Passport 9500ci radar & Radarmirror | Xpel PPF | Black badges, markers, exhaust tips | Euro front grill plate/delete | color matched calipers | ceramic tint | custom floor mats | custom paddle shifters | PedalBox | Wave rotors

Quote Originally Posted by yahya View Post
    I also have the APR tune, but have a Capristo exhaust...I don't get any crackles :-(

My tune was done back in 2013...when did you get yours? Maybe yours is a newer tune, where crackles were added?
    Mine was done at the same time as the exhaust, which was about eight months ago, around April. They change these tunes frequently, so there probably was an update done that added them. No worries, mate! With APR, you get free updates. When I updated the tune in the SQ5, it was free, but I still tipped my tuner.

It's been said that the VF tune gives the car lots of pops and crackles.
    2012 Audi R8 V10 - Titanium package - TCU tuned - Kline exhaust

My VF tune with Kline exhaust has burbles. A buddy's VF tune with capristo has burble and a very loud bang at upshift when WOT
    R8 V10 (k&n, Kline, VF ECU&TCU)
    981B (k&n)
    991 GT3
    430 Scuderia
    458 Italia

Quote Originally Posted by kiryu View Post
    My VF tune with Kline exhaust has burbles. A buddy's VF tune with capristo has burble and a very loud bang at upshift when WOT
    Do you have any videos of the pops with your Kline?
    2012 Audi R8 V10 - Titanium package - TCU tuned - Kline exhaust

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast