Great charger connection

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Great charger connection

Great charger connection

I recently got my first battery "maintainer / charger". It is a CTEK MXS 5.0 and works great so far. But, I wanted to find an easier way to hook it up. I know that there are several ways to make a connection inside the frunk, but I really didn't want to have to open my frunk every time I wanted to hook up the charger. So after doing a little research I found a really cool magnetic connection from a company called MagCode. In addition to being a simple magnetic connection, there is only 12 volt power at the connection point when the magnet is in place. So that means it doesn't need to have a cover because there is no power unless it is connected to the charger. I wanted to find a place at the front of the car that was easy to access and would be easy to return to stock if I ever wanted to. What I decided to do is mount it to one of the blanks that is used for the headlight cleaners. I am very happy with the results. It is very easy to use and if I ever forgot it was connected and pulled away the magnet would just pull loose and wouldn't cause any issues. I have to admit that I was a little concerned that it wold be visible and disrupt the aesthetics of the car, but when you are looking at the car it really isn't noticeable. If you know what to look for you can see it, but 99% of people will never notice it.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Charley

Great charger connection-img_1599.jpgGreat charger connection-img_1598.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Great charger connection

Thats actually pretty cool and I'd like to try something like that out. Sent you a DM

Nice mod installed in a convenient location. Did you have to remove the bumper for this install? Any drilling to run the wires? Thanks.
    Hidden Content
    Audi R8 V10 S-Tronic - Brilliant Red - Fire Red PPF -
    SprintBooster - Clearplex - Android AV - Michelin PS4S.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Volt-D...-/231148212430

£31.98 on ebay, might give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieR8 View Post
    Nice mod installed in a convenient location. Did you have to remove the bumper for this install? Any drilling to run the wires? Thanks.
    No the bumper didn't have to come off and no drilling to run wires. Here are some more pictures:

You need to take off the center and side trim panels in the frunk.

Great charger connection-img_1593.jpgGreat charger connection-img_1591.jpg

Then run the wire from the battery to the headlight area. I started on the top and in the center, and then fed the wire to the battery area, and then to the light. I purchased an extension wire from CTEK that had plugs on both ends. I used the "bolt on" connection to the battery and plugged the extension wire into it and then cut the wire to length and added connectors on the MagCode side.

Great charger connection-img_1578.jpgGreat charger connection-img_1580.jpgGreat charger connection-img_1573.jpg
    Last edited by CharleyH; 02-28-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Then I drilled out the "headlight washer blank" to hold the MagCode connector. This was the trickiest part because there isn't a lot of extra room to play with. I also had to trim down one of the plastic washers that came with the MagCode connector so that it would fit and provide enough clearance for the nut to fit.

Great charger connection-img_1581.jpgGreat charger connection-img_1582.jpgGreat charger connection-img_1583.jpgGreat charger connection-img_1584.jpg

The last step was to take the remaining wiring (with a CTEK plug on one side) and connect it to the MagCode connector.

Great charger connection-img_1594.jpg

Charley
    Last edited by CharleyH; 02-28-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Super job Charley, thanks for the information and the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyH View Post
    I recently got my first battery "maintainer / charger". It is a CTEK MXS 5.0 and works great so far. But, I wanted to find an easier way to hook it up. I know that there are several ways to make a connection inside the frunk, but I really didn't want to have to open my frunk every time I wanted to hook up the charger. So after doing a little research I found a really cool magnetic connection from a company called MagCode. In addition to being a simple magnetic connection, there is only 12 volt power at the connection point when the magnet is in place. So that means it doesn't need to have a cover because there is no power unless it is connected to the charger. I wanted to find a place at the front of the car that was easy to access and would be easy to return to stock if I ever wanted to. What I decided to do is mount it to one of the blanks that is used for the headlight cleaners. I am very happy with the results. It is very easy to use and if I ever forgot it was connected and pulled away the magnet would just pull loose and wouldn't cause any issues. I have to admit that I was a little concerned that it wold be visible and disrupt the aesthetics of the car, but when you are looking at the car it really isn't noticeable. If you know what to look for you can see it, but 99% of people will never notice it.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Charley

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1599.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	292.3 KB 
ID:	231936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	231938
    Once again, just goes to prove all superheroes don't wear capes!! Nice job!!
    2014 Audi R8 V10 6MT
    Suzuka Gray/Red

Thanks for all of the positive response. I am definitely enjoying this mod and highly recommend it.

Charley

Appreciate the diy instructions Charley.

Looks like a great mod for winter storage. Cheers.
    Hidden Content
    Audi R8 V10 S-Tronic - Brilliant Red - Fire Red PPF -
    SprintBooster - Clearplex - Android AV - Michelin PS4S.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast