Dynamic *steering* on the track - Page 2

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dynamic *steering* on the track

Re: Dynamic *steering* on the track

I just looked at what the car says when I put it in "dry performance" mode (push the checkered flag), with default settings. It says "Stabilization Control: Sport. Warning! Reduced Stability".

This is the same as pushing the ESP button (car with squiggly track in center console) once in a normal drive mode. It is not the same as pushing and holding down the ESP button, thus completely disabling ESP.

My question can be simplified: does the ESP system use dynamic steering in the R8 to counter-steer to prevent a slide in "sport" mode?

I suspect the answer is yes, and that is what I experienced.

I suspect in ESP "off" mode, it will not.

My guesses are based on the fact my Gen 1 R8 would similarly do ESP actions in "sport" mode on the track, in that case only braking and cutting power, but would not do these actions when ESP was off.
    Last edited by R8Someday; 07-10-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    2017 R8 V10 Plus S Tronic Coupe
    Ara Blue / Carbon Fiber / Black w. Ara Blue stitching interior
    Deceased (never drive on painted curbs in the rain):
    2011 R8 5.2 V10 R Tronic Coupe
    Jet Blue / Oxygen Silver / Limestone Gray Interior

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I'll stand corrected on its ability as you note, but really wonder as you later note too, does the software included in the R8 actually allow for the counter-steer feature just under the stability control program, since the other lane assist nannies aren't there. I've never personally experienced it (the counter-steer function) and have proactively rotated more than one R8 with Dynamic Steering. I'll check with our R8 tech to get a better picture of how this feature is actually executed in the R8...
    - Roger __________________________________________________
    2014 R8 V10 plus 6MT, Daytona/Black-Diamond Stitch
    2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
    2019 TT RS Glacier White/Black-Red

RNLabas - I would love to hear what the techs say.

I agree the existence of accelerometers and dynamic steering in the R8 doesn't prove it has the counter-steering stability feature enabled. As I said, I may have hallucinated it. :-)

In my 2011 Gen 1 R8 V10, I nearly always ran with ESC/ESP off when on the track when it was dry. When I was pushing hard, regularly that generation of ESP, even in "sport" mode, would kick in, heating up the brakes, or cutting out power.

That generation of ESP couldn't save me when I really screwed up. I had it on in "normal" mode when I totaled my car on the track. :-(

Never drive on a painted curb when it is raining.

I don't know why Audi would not enable the counter-steer feature in in ESP in the gen 2 R8s, assuming it has all the needed sensors.
    2017 R8 V10 Plus S Tronic Coupe
    Ara Blue / Carbon Fiber / Black w. Ara Blue stitching interior
    Deceased (never drive on painted curbs in the rain):
    2011 R8 5.2 V10 R Tronic Coupe
    Jet Blue / Oxygen Silver / Limestone Gray Interior

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by R8Someday View Post
    Never drive on a painted curb when it is raining.
    Tried that on 2 wheels So learnt the hard way and avoided them ever since.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

I wish my 2015 R8 v8 S-tronic AMR had dynamic steering. I drive some canyons and my hands have to shuffle steer to avoid crossover and it is a pain in the neck to figure out which paddle is which. I complained directly to Audi, glad they did something about it.
    Last edited by thechoop; 07-11-2019 at 03:46 PM.

I posed this to the southern region AoA tech, and HE is researching a more definitive and complete response - but meanwhile he agreed with me that he doubted the R8 execution features this ability. He notes that the SSP mentioned specifically refers to other lines of cars for which much more nanny sensors and controls are in place. He also noted that while this 'feature' is there, it is NOT to be considered NOR relied upon to induce more than perhaps 2-3 degrees of counter steer, hardly enough to recover from a considerable oversteer occasion and more than likely not hardly enough to notice in an R8 on the loose. This 'feature' is intended to 'correct' lane deviations - small nudges back in line (between road lines captured by a forward facing camera below the rain sensor) and NOT really a skid. He also notes that when the system in this mode 'feels' resistance in the steering wheel thru its magnetic sensors, it will 'allow' the user full control in the direction that input is requesting.

I've experienced this last behavior when 'surprised' by the lane assist nudging me back, say I want to make a left turn and move to the turning lane (without my signal yet, which interrupts this feature) - and can still force the turn with my own little second nudge... so we await a bit until the news comes ;-)
    - Roger __________________________________________________
    2014 R8 V10 plus 6MT, Daytona/Black-Diamond Stitch
    2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
    2019 TT RS Glacier White/Black-Red

9. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12