New owner observations after a long road trip

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New owner observations after a long road trip

Cool New owner observations after a long road trip

My wife and I recently completed a weeklong 8-state road trip through the northeast, in my recently purchased 2014 R8 V10 S-tronic. I thought I’d share a few random observations:

(1) If I liked the car a lot in the weeks of ownership prior to this trip; I am absolutely IN LOVE with it now. Nothing like hours and hours in a vehicle to distill *exactly* how you feel about it. The longer we drove, the more fun we had. An exotic that can be driven fearlessly for days on end ...who knew?
    I was truly impressed with the overall package.

(2) It absolutely filled the role of a ‘grand tourer’, as opposed to a harder edged sports car (which it can be). With the relatively quiet-ish ride (stock exhaust, elective sport-mode driving), relatively compliant ride (magna-ride suspension), good stereo (B & O) and an over-abundance of power for touring; it was always a battle between enjoying the car, the sound and speed and handling, and slowing down to enjoy the scenery along the way.

(3) I never fully appreciated how crappy the roads are throughout the northeast! After years as a Lexus daily driver, I had no clue that things were so bad. And having to be so aware, constantly, of the road surface, especially on back roads, can get tiring over many hours. I never once used the shocks on the stiffer ‘sport mode’ setting, the default setting was jarring enough.

(4) If you’re planning to go on a longer road trip, I’d encourage anyone to seriously consider a set of custom-fit luggage pieces. I purchased a set of the ‘budget-friendly’ (compared to the uber-quality, uber-expensive OEM sets that pop up every so often) R8 customized luggage sets from Amazon:

(https://www.amazon.com/Audi-Coupe-Lu...gateway&sr=8-2).

Between my wife and I, we easily had enough space for everything we needed for the week with a bit of room to spare. However, when using all three pieces of the luggage set, there really is next to no additional room to spare — perhaps a little in the passenger side footwell, but really nothing else.

(5) We were totally unprepared for the amount of attention we attracted, or rather, the car attracted. We’d driven nice cars before, but this was something else entirely. *Never* have I had so many people take pictures of my car (...daily — either on the highway or when parked, or when getting gas, or at a stop light, etc. etc.), engage me in conversation at *every* stop or parking lot etc., etc. We just really weren’t expecting it, and my wife commented that it felt like we were somehow minor celebrities.

(6) That fuel tank capacity is great! for long-distance driving. We were getting close to 400-470+ miles per tankful with averages of 20+ mpg at times. And this was from a V10! It really took the anxiety off for those times that I left it in sport mode, just to hear the engine, or to keep power on tap for easy high speed maneuvering on the highway.

(7) Going from Maryland to Rhode Island to Maine and back, and hitting all the states in between (but only skirting the edge of NYC) we saw exactly zero other R8’s. That surprised me. Perhaps because it’s not fully spring time yet, and some owners don’t bring out their nicer vehicles until spring/summer? I dunno. But it’s interesting that we saw none at all.

(8) Having driven several sports cars over the years, I was always cognizant of the weather. Everyone knows that generally big horsepower/high torque and bad weather conditions don’t mix well. However, driving the R8, sometimes for hours at a time in poor weather, I was impressed with how unflappable it was. I didn’t try anything crazy, but I certainly drove more spiritedly, while feeling more secure, than I’ve ever felt in a sports car before.

I realize that most on this forum have a *much* broader range of experiences in their R8’s over the years, and all of the above may be old hat. But for those who are in the market, or are just about to get their first R8, I can assure you that, whatever your expectations are — and I assume they’re high — they’ll be far, far exceeded by your experience with the car!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: New owner observations after a long road trip

A good write up on how we all feel about our R8's, and the good thing is this sense of pleasure never fades no matter how long you've owned the car. Welcome and thanks for reminding some of us if we have become complacent over time.

How the heck we're you getting that kind of mileage!? I barely get 250 miles out of a tank. I drive conservatively during the week and more spirited over the weekend.
    2011 Audi R8 V10 6MT - White Exterior/Red Interior
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 5.2 V8 - Red Exterior GONE

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by squid267 View Post
    How the heck we're you getting that kind of mileage!? I barely get 250 miles out of a tank. I drive conservatively during the week and more spirited over the weekend.
    The stop and go kills mpg.

This was an awesome read! We could tell how much you REALLY enjoyed the whole experience! I just got mine as well back in December and #5 always surprises me!

#6 about your fuel tank...that's incredible! I get around 250-300 miles full tank...1/3 city and 2/3 highway!

If you live in the DMV area, you need to check out Cars & Coffee in Great Falls, VA. Every Saturday 6-9 a.m. @ 760 Walker Rd, Great Falls, VA 22066. Lots of amazing cars and quite a few R8s, including mine. It's worth getting there very early to get a good spot.

New owner observations after a long road trip-20190406_090819.jpg
    Last edited by 6MTSpyder; 04-24-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by squid267 View Post
    You guys got me thinking about my mileage I mentioned earlier. I initially came up with those numbers from the in-car display, counting down from the number displayed after fill-up, until close to zero. I think I may have naively assumed (newbie mistake?) that those numbers were fairly accurate. So I went back and traced our route (google maps) to get a better sense of how far we traveled between fill-ups that I could remember. The longest leg was between our home in Maryland and Newport, Rhode island, approximately 400 miles. We were able to do this on one topped off tank of gas, and arrived with a bit in the tank. The entire run was on major highways with only occasional slower traffic (we skirted around New York City, so largely avoided any stop-and-go traffic), and averaged between 50-80 mph. Another long leg that I remember, was between Newport, RI and Albany, NY where we took a couple of scenic detours up into Vermont before going back down into NY. This leg was approximately 260 miles, and when we arrived in Albany the tank was a shade below 1/2 full. There was no stop and go driving at all that far north. On the highways we averaged 75+ mph, but when we got off the main highways, speeds were 30-50 mph and steady. Anyways . . . I didn’t mean to make any outlandish claims. I was just honestly surprised that I was able to go as far as it seemed we were going, between fill-ups.
    Last edited by Fmtwwr; 04-24-2019 at 06:11 PM. Reason: (grammar)

Quote Originally Posted by 6MTSpyder View Post
    If you live in the DMV area, you need to check out Cars & Coffee in Great Falls, VA. Every Saturday 6-9 a.m. @ 760 Walker Rd, Great Falls, VA 22066. Lots of amazing cars and quite a few R8s, including mine. It's worth getting there very early to get a good spot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190406_090819.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	306.0 KB 
ID:	234496
    Is that the Cars & Coffee at the “Katie’s” coffee shop?

A few friends of mine introduced me to that event back on the first Saturday of April (April 6th) and that was my first time there. It was great! and it was the first time I saw a F40 on the road — definitely a show stopper. I saw 4 other R8’s — 2 GT’s. I also saw a gorgeous black Spyder next to the F40 (yours? — looked like it had been driven directly from the showroom floor). Mine was the Suzuka Gray Coupe 3 cars to the left of the F40, maybe 4 cars down from you ...?New owner observations after a long road trip-bcee30b7-07b2-4b09-abd3-a4d38dde55ae.jpg
    Last edited by Fmtwwr; 04-24-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: photo rotated

Wow, great writeup. I don't own an R8 *yet*. I'm currently saving for either a Gen 5 Viper, R8 or Corvette. I have owned a Gen 3 Viper, 300ZX & a Supra. Currently ghosting these forums for info. Experiences like yours are awesome & really helpful. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by APOLLOSKI View Post
    The stop and go kills mpg.
    I always have to laugh. Every time I drive any car, I am NEVER able to get the specified city MPG. But EVERY time I drive a car, I'm always able to get its highway MPG. One more reason I love interstates over city driving (but then again, most do )

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast