Audi R8 Forums banner

Ceramic Brakes

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  jbusa95te 
#1 ·
Can you install ceramic brakes and calipers without replacing the brake booster? I have heard conflicting reports. Could someone explain what happens if you don't replace the booster

#3 ·
I would say nothing would happen if you don't change the booster, I changed it because Audi specified a different booster for ceramic brakes. I don't know how it works where you are, but if you have a collision and your brakes are checked over and this discrepancy is found, you may be liable. So short version..... Better safe than sorry.

#8 ·
Given that I asked my tamed mechanic to get a best price for a set of rotors and pads from Audi, and the discounted figure was £9600 exc vat I reckon the £300 for the booster is almost irrelevant?

Retail on disks is £2600 ea exc, front pads are £300, rear £270 IIRC

#11 ·
I added ceramic brakes without changing the booster. I have not had any issue at all as a result. The brakes work exceptionally well as I have them.

#12 ·
Thanks Digicrack
I actually spoke to another gentleman that tracks his car and did the swap without the booster with perfect results. He said he drove a friends V10 Plus with CC and the only difference was his brakes were a little more sensitive. Claimed he actually preferred the setup better on the track although a slight bit touchier on the street. Told me I would get used to it in about 10 min of driving.

#13 ·
I did the swap on my 2011 R8 V10, the brake feel is diminished because it is REALLY grabby. Unless you get used to it, it will stop like you slammed on the brakes. I just sold my R8 and I have the set of carbon rotors and calipers with pads if anyone is interested.

#15 · (Edited)
If the Audi Engineers designed (and/or specified) a bigger brake booster for the Audi R8 Ceramic Braking System (Calipers, Rotors, Pads, etc...) I'm sure it's because it needed a bigger booster.

I'm sure they did a lot of testing and research on the existing brake booster before deciding to create another booster to test the Ceramic Calipers, Rotors and Pads.

Actually, they might have had some help from Brembo since all my Ceramic Caliper Rebuild Kits come from them.

Auto part Disc brake Vehicle brake Brake Rotor

Disc brake Vehicle brake Auto part Brake Circular saw

#16 ·
OK so I now have the Carbon Ceramic Brakes installed without the booster and yes they are slightly more sensitive but if someone had done the swap and no one said the booster needs changing you would think it was just the difference in the steel vs CC. I would say its about 15% more sensitive. They seem to work fantastic and look filipin awesome. Took her for a very spirited drive down my favorite Rd and pushed it hard. They brake fantastic. I love them.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.