Poll: Which R8 Combination and Why

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Poll: Which Option and Why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Which R8 Combination and Why

Poll: Which R8 Combination and Why

Trying to figure out which of the following is going to put the most smiles on my face for all around the same price. I'm anticipating owning the car for maybe 2 years and then selling to get into another fun car.

Assumptions:
    - 10% depreciation on sale price in 2 years
    - 4,000 miles a year
    - 20-30K mile car
    - 2010 - 2012 models
    - Well maintained (tires/brakes/recalls/etc.) and clean title

Which option do you go with and why? Also, please adjust my pricing expectations if off.

Option 1: Supercharged V8 gated 6 speed - $90K?
    Option 2: Supercharged V10 R-tronic - $85K?
    Option 3: V10 gated 6 speed - $90K?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Poll: Which R8 Combination and Why

Hah, people have voted but forgot to list the why they chose that option over the others.

Would appreciate to hear why and if my pricing estimates are accurate for said option.

I may be biased but I chose V10 gated manual cause what other cars out there besides its sister Gallardo comes in gated manual V10?

Can't comment on prices as I'm in Canada but V10 gated will hold it's value for sure if that's something you want to take into consideration for reselling.
    2010 Audi R8 V10 6MT | Ibis White

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HardHitter View Post
    Trying to figure out which of the following is going to put the most smiles on my face for all around the same price. I'm anticipating owning the car for maybe 2 years and then selling to get into another fun car.

Assumptions:
    - 10% depreciation on sale price in 2 years
    - 4,000 miles a year
    - 20-30K mile car
    - 2010 - 2012 models
    - Well maintained (tires/brakes/recalls/etc.) and clean title

Which option do you go with and why? Also, please adjust my pricing expectations if off.

Option 1: Supercharged V8 gated 6 speed - $90K?
    Option 2: Supercharged V10 R-tronic - $85K?
    Option 3: V10 gated 6 speed - $90K?
    Option 1: no Go, high chance the V8 supercharged don't survive the 2 years...ticking timebombs...
    Option 2: most bang for the buck, if you wanna straight out power with flipping through the gears that takes a while (on paddles) thats the right car
    Option 3: if you like to be really involved in driving and driving itself is what gives you a smile then the gated is the right one for you.

on Option 3: I see the 10% depreciation, if you are lucky less. Where can you get a gated V10 supercar nowadays....potential to be the best value R8
    on Option 2: deprection likely more higher.

suggest to testdrive Option 2 and 3, thats the only way to find out. I am for sure Option 3 guy...
    Last edited by Helldriver; 05-17-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    Notice: We guarantee fast service, no matter how long it takesHidden Content

From a depreciation standpoint I think option 3 is the best way to go. Still a fast car but the supercharged V10 is a rocket ship. The R-tronic with a tune is really not bad at all. Shifts pretty smooth when you want to be relaxed and its pretty quick in manual mode. Throttle Blip shifts are addicting but you can emulate that in a manual if you know how to heel toe

I'm of the mind that driving pleasure isn't purely a function of speed. The "standard" V10 has more power than you arguably need on the street to have fun. After a certain point, there's diminishing return (at least for me). Likewise, while it can be done reliably, adding forced injection complicates matters - and those complications can be expensive if it wasn't done right.

On the flip side, one of the best things about the R8 V10 is that it's naturally aspirated - free-flowing, beautiful sounding, and linear in power delivery. I find it really tough to beat a really well designed naturally aspirated engine for driving pleasure. Add a gated 6-speed manual transmission to it, and to many, that's bliss. I'm not a hardcore manual guy (evidenced by the fact that I ordered my car as S-Tronic), but the value of a sublime manual isn't lost on me... nor many others. If you're planning on reselling, the manual will likely offer some of the best price protection.

Regarding the price assumptions, I think your estimates are on the low side... especially for a lower mileage, clean, well-maintained car.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

Just searching the for sale section, there were a few gated R8's with asking prices in the $80s.

$86K asking - https://www.r8talk.com/forums/23-sal...8-v10-6mt.html
    $80K asking (high miles) - https://www.r8talk.com/forums/23-sal...ty-extras.html

I own option 3 but voted option 2 - supercharged v10 R tronic.

Mostly cause you're only looking to keep 2 years before moving on. If this were a long term investment where you're hoping to eventually sell for more than you bought - then the v10 Manual. But if you're considering an auto get the car with more power, you likely aren't the type that would miss the action of rowing gears yourself. Everyone enjoys more speed. Plus you could remove the supercharger and sell separately from a stock car and likely get all your original investment back.

Manual, manual, manual, manual, manual,.... got it?
    -------------------------
    2010 R8 V10 | Manual Transmission | Ibis White | GMG Exhaust

my signature is also my vote : reasons - ezmaass made a very key notation : driving pleasure is not related to speed. I'm old enough that other factors keep me from being the fastest with any car, so pleasure depends on those sensory inputs and my own corresponding outputs and the next set of both. In that context and with that paradigm, the gated shifter is more pleasure to forge a great time than either the fastest shift or the quickest half-mile or even highest attained speed. Dexterity, my own rev-matching, feedback, sounds - all contribute SO much more ...
    - Roger __________________________________________________
    2014 R8 V10 plus 6MT, Daytona/Black-Diamond Stitch
    2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
    2019 TT RS Clubsport Turbo Livery/Black-Red

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast