R8 V10 vs NSX vs 570S vs 488 GTB

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R8 V10 vs NSX vs 570S vs 488 GTB

R8 V10 vs NSX vs 570S vs 488 GTB

I went to Exotics Racing in Las Vegas this week to see if I want to trade my R8 V10 6MT Spyder for something else. I reserved a 570S, AMG GTR, and 458. When I arrived, they told me the AMG and 458 were both in the shop. I ended up driving the NSX and 488 instead.

NSX: Great overall car and much better than I expected. Fairly heavy steering. Great engine sound INSIDE the car. Very stable in corners and easy to drive hard. I think this is a strong competitor to the R8 as an every day super car. With used models in the $120k range and the ability to tune them now (running 10.6 at 130mph), it's also a good value. A couple of the instructors said it's the car they would chose to own.

570S: Lighter steering and lighter overall feel than the NSX and more fun to drive on track. Felt a little faster on the straight, but not dramatic. Foot well is a little narrow, but not bad. Nothing really to complain about as far as the driving experience. They have 3 570S and 1 720S at Exotics Racing. Only one 570S was running...

488GTB: Very similar to the 570S but about 10-20% better. Lighter and quicker steering, slightly better acceleration. I don't see it being worth the $80-100k premium over a similar 570S, but it's a great car.

I'm still very happy with my R8. It's just about perfect for a street car. The only one of these 3 cars that I would consider is the 570S because it's different enough in looks and feel plus it's insanely fast with a tune. Still trying to decide if it's worth the extra cost (price + warranty + maintenance). I might get one of the prices come down a little more, or I might just hold onto the R8 until the Tesla Roadster comes out in a couple years.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: R8 V10 vs NSX vs 570S vs 488 GTB

I've had seat time in most of these.

NSX is cheaper to me in every aspect compared to the Gen 2 R8. It's slower, inferior materials on interior, etc. 570S will not give you peak power unless car is pointed straight. Very aggressive ECU to cut power back to keep the tires in check. It's also very skittish under heavy braking. The 650S doesn't suffer these features and would take a 650S over both an R8 and a 570S if it weren't for reliability issues and lack of dealer network and supplies. 720S is world class beater but different pricing tier, as is the 488 GTB you tested.

Glad you had fun.
    2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus Ara Blue Crystal
    Larini Club Sport Exhaust
    10.8 @ 128 MPH (60' 1.68) - Stock
    10.6 @ 130 MPH (60' 1.66) - Exhaust+Pilot 4S Tires
    Other Toy = 2014 Nissan GT-R (not stock and a bit quicker Hidden Content )

Quote Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
    570S will not give you peak power unless car is pointed straight. Very aggressive ECU to cut power back to keep the tires in check.
    The 488 seemed to have the same kind of programming. Not necessarily a bad thing. I've owned a turbo car before, and they can bite you coming out of a corner.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Interesting thoughts on the NSX.
    488 i dont like it
    458 i like but not to buy...because its really underpowered.
    570 i have driven for a long drive and i dont like it.
    The only car i like and never drove is a f12.

Most of those options don't do it for me in the styling department. The 458, however, is a beautiful car - not the 488, though. Funny how minor little tweaks can make a car look so different.

I'm also not a fan of turbocharged supercars - the sound is just important to me, and I feel the 570 and 488 are duds in that department. A real shame. The NSX is in a whole other category of dud with regards to the sound. To be fair, though, they're ALL incredible machines when it comes to performance.

The way I see it - if you're largely going to be using the car on the street, there's only SO much performance you can use... after a certain point, the law of diminishing returns has kicked-in. 500hp, 600hp, 700hp+ HP... does it really matter? On the street, it's all overkill. In fact, I'm truly starting to believe that more powerful cars are detracting from the driving pleasure on the road. The power is to the point that you can't wring out the car - and there's a certain pleasure in bringing a car through its gears, having your foot mashed in the accelerator... but that's not possible with the power these cars are now making.

The R8, for me, is a very well balanced package - style, sound, luxury, performance. There are plenty of cars that will now out-perform it, but most of that out-performance is already in a stratospheric band that's not possible to experience (without fear of death and/or imprisonment) on the street. So, style, sound, and luxury, perhaps in that order, are now the other contenders - hard to beat the R8's style, but there are a few out there, like the 458, that are worthy in my book. Sound? Again, naturally aspirated V10's are going to be tough to beat... but a 458's screaming NA V8 will do. Luxury? Well, many of the modern supercars can compete here (and easily beat the Gen-1 R8) - but McLaren, in particular, followed by Ferrari, won't follow through on the reliability front like a German.

For me, as it was nearly 5 years ago when I bought my R8, there's not a great competitor in the $150k - $250k price range that I feel I'd rather have. Now, Dimitri's V12-powered F12? That's another beast altogether. I'd take one in TDF form, thank you... but only in addition to the R8.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

Two things I hate about the NSX...... Exhaust note and the Interior! For a $150K supercar, the Honda Accord interior just doesn't cut it.

r1

Those instructors have a $20,000 incentive.
    https://www.carscoops.com/2019/05/ac...xs-in-the-u-s/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan75 View Post

NSX: Great overall car and much better than I expected. Fairly heavy steering. Great engine sound INSIDE the car. Very stable in corners and easy to drive hard. I think this is a strong competitor to the R8 as an every day super car. With used models in the $120k range and the ability to tune them now (running 10.6 at 130mph), it's also a good value. A couple of the instructors said it's the car they would chose to own.

Quote Originally Posted by STORMRIDER View Post
    Two things I hate about the NSX...... Exhaust note and the Interior! For a $150K supercar, the Honda Accord interior just doesn't cut it.
    At least you can hear the engine inside the car. What it sounds like to people outside the car is irrelevant.

My R8 sounded lame stock. A Larini exhaust solved that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan75 View Post
    The 488 seemed to have the same kind of programming. Not necessarily a bad thing. I've owned a turbo car before, and they can bite you coming out of a corner.
    It's a bad thing for a driver's car. McLaren is a driver's car. That's how they advertise it. No buttons on wheel for distractions. Retractable dash cluster on 720S. Etc etc etc. Regardless, if you must neuter it so your car doesn't make the news as a "death trap" for the guy who bought it solely for show/looks; don't make it so difficult to defeat. The 650S has much higher limits in braking, acceleration, and to where the ECU will kick in . The 650S is imperceptible in most street driving aggressive maneuvers. Don't even get me started on the brakes on the 570S. You want a rear end that'll bite on hard braking. That's the 570S. That is a bad thing.

Trust me, I love McLaren performance (650S, 720S, 675LT). Basically their super sport class. The 570S is a poser car.
    2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus Ara Blue Crystal
    Larini Club Sport Exhaust
    10.8 @ 128 MPH (60' 1.68) - Stock
    10.6 @ 130 MPH (60' 1.66) - Exhaust+Pilot 4S Tires
    Other Toy = 2014 Nissan GT-R (not stock and a bit quicker Hidden Content )

570 clown car.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast