Coupe shelf net retrofit

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coupe shelf net retrofit

Coupe shelf net retrofit

Hi all,

During my search for my car I found some had a cargo net behind the seats and some didn’t. Mine doesn’t but i’d Like to add it if it’s reasonably easy. Anyone done it before?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Coupe shelf net retrofit

u can buy that from audi, like an optional accessory. I bought mine used years ago, cost a pretty penny if bought new from Audi
    but just FYI, that net cause some rattle/noise when you are driving hard and can be a bit annoying
    R8 V10 (k&n, Kline, VF ECU&TCU)
    981B (k&n)
    991 GT3
    458 Italia

Thank You! Will take a look

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kiryu View Post
    u can buy that from audi, like an optional accessory. I bought mine used years ago, cost a pretty penny if bought new from Audi
    but just FYI, that net cause some rattle/noise when you are driving hard and can be a bit annoying
    Thank you for this. I have the net and have been baffled by the rattle I hear at certain speeds. I thought it might have been the license plate but now it makes sense.

FYI - The net only keeps things from going North/South - They still fly around East/West.
    2014 Audi R8 V8 STRONIC - 2018 Audi Q7 - 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JK)

Quote Originally Posted by GR8NJR8 View Post

FYI - The net only keeps things from going North/South - They still fly around East/West.
    EXACTLY LOL. So I got that net just for the completeness of it, but I never put anything in there because stuff slide from left to right whenever you corner wahaha. My wife used to put her hangbag in it and it was hella annoying with all the sliding, eventually she gave up and just put stuff in the footwell instead. However on a roadtrip I can perhaps see that net as useful if you have bunch of stuff and doesnt want them sliding under your seats (coats, umbrellas, shoes etc.)
    R8 V10 (k&n, Kline, VF ECU&TCU)
    981B (k&n)
    991 GT3
    458 Italia

Was going to get the net. This thread has changed my mind. Now off the list.

Ha!

I have the net - but it wasn't an option on my car. At least, said another way, it wasn't LISTED as an option, and I didn't pay for it. I had just assumed all R8s came with it? Perhaps my dealer threw it in.

I have an Audi first aid kit up there - that WAS an option (a whopping $40) - even listed on the sticker. It doesn't tend to shift around very often, but in truly hard driving, yes, it'll slide.

The net makes sense, I suppose, if you're going to travel in the car. There's absolutely no interior storage, so anything you want to keep in the car pretty much needs to go on the shelf up there. If you're not planning to store stuff on the shelf (taking a weekend trip somewhere, for example), I wouldn't bother with the net. I haven't noticed it making any noise, though.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

I’m planning on doing some long Europe road trips next year and the mrs has agreed but she’ll probably need must of the frunk, leaving me with the shelf. I’d only put a backpack behind there so not much chance of it sliding.

Anybody have the part number?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmeardon View Post
    I’m planning on doing some long Europe road trips next year and the mrs has agreed but she’ll probably need must of the frunk, leaving me with the shelf. I’d only put a backpack behind there so not much chance of it sliding.

Anybody have the part number?
    Road trip in the R8 - perfect! Just keep in mind, as you may have read in other threads, that the frunk gets very warm - so put items on the shelf that may melt (e.g. your wife's make-up).

Part number is: 4208616914PK

Looks to be somewhere around $360 here in the US from Audi.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

I've just done it as I needed extra space for the Summer road trips, with the net in it actually creates a decent large space to store - well travelling crap TBH, other halfs handbag, crisps (chips!) jackets etc that you don't want heated in frunk!
    I found a new net on eBay for £75 but had to buy the correct ball pins from Audi - I DID NOT buy the 'escutcheons' (glorified washers) to go under the pins though as they do nothing and were stupidly expensive. Drilling holes in the alcantara pieces by the small side windows to fit the pins was a bit twitchy but it fits nicely & is secure.

Ball pin part number is 420861117 & you need 6 of them from memory.
    R8 V8 OEM+, 6MT
    Classic Mini - Satin black
    Landrover Defender - Triple black
    Vespa GTS - Town smoker

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast