AC fan speed seems to vary

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: AC fan speed seems to vary

AC fan speed seems to vary

2012 V10 17k miles - noticing the ac fan speed varies even when set to a fixed level (in other words, not on AUTO). No parts ever replaced in AC system or accompanying switches.

When listening to the fan run, I can hear the sound of the fan speed change every so often, a few seconds higher and then lower. Engaging/disengaging the AC compressor does not seem to change this behavior in the fan.

Would expect the fan should remain at a consistent speed when set in that manner. Anyone else experience this? Admittedly, it is ever so slight but perceptible enough to wonder why as I have not seen this with any other car that I can recall.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: AC fan speed seems to vary

While not the R8, I've had a similar issue on a BMW many years ago - it was the blower resistor motor for the HVAC. Fairly inexpensive fix if it turns out to be the same here. The fan speed would just modulate on its own. In fact, it failed twice on that BMW (e46).
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

Thanks - had same thought (and similar issue on Gen 1 NSX)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

After examination, dealer recommends replacing the blower motor and (control) resistor. Aftermarket warranty inspector to hopefully evaluate and opine today.

Honestly, I always thought the ac fan blower speed was not quite as powerful as other cars, including Audi or non-Audi. I tried one other R8 but was difficult to compare since it was not side-by-side. Dealer confirmed long ago the vents/flaps were operating properly when I had similar concern but no one could ever tell me what the actual air flow speed should be when on the highest setting (if a manufacturer spec of this exists to begin with). It does cool but the air does not seem to be as strong as I would have expected in relative terms.

Quote Originally Posted by txtony View Post
    After examination, dealer recommends replacing the blower motor and (control) resistor. Aftermarket warranty inspector to hopefully evaluate and opine today.

Honestly, I always thought the ac fan blower speed was not quite as powerful as other cars, including Audi or non-Audi. I tried one other R8 but was difficult to compare since it was not side-by-side. Dealer confirmed long ago the vents/flaps were operating properly when I had similar concern but no one could ever tell me what the actual air flow speed should be when on the highest setting (if a manufacturer spec of this exists to begin with). It does cool but the air does not seem to be as strong as I would have expected in relative terms.
    Yep, not surprised - I'd imagine the warranty should cover it. As I said, at least in previous experience, these weren't too bad.

I don't know about the fan speed - I suspect there's a way to check it's within tolerance; however, the temperature ranges themselves need to fall within a tolerance level for the A/C. See the attached chart. The Y axis (labeled A) is the vent temperature sensor. The X axis (labeled B) is the ambient temperature. The area labeled C is the tolerance range that's considered acceptable. Hope this helps.

AC fan speed seems to vary-ac-vent-temps-ambient-temps-v2-.jpg
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

8. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements