55K mile service - $1,900? Oil change - $600?

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 55K mile service - $1,900? Oil change - $600?

55K mile service - $1,900? Oil change - $600?

Advise appreciated.
    I have a 2014 R8 V8 with 17K miles. One year ago, I had the 45K mile service done at no charge at the local Audi dealer, covered under my service agreement. Since then, I have put only 500 additional miles on the R8 over the last year.
    So I called the same dealer, and asked if anything needs to be done. Oh yes, I'm told, since a year has passed, regardless of mileage, I now need the 55k mile service, at a quoted cost of $1,900. Since I have no issues with the vehicle, I asked about only doing an oil change. The quote for that was $600.

Perhaps I should look for a local shop in the South Bay Los Angeles area for a second opinion?
    Any input or suggestions on what service I should perform, and where, would be most appreciated.
    -Corey

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: 55K mile service - $1,900? Oil change - $600?

That's outrageous. Last year my oil change on my V10 was only $130 at the local Audi dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreyco View Post
    Advise appreciated.
    I have a 2014 R8 V8 with 17K miles. One year ago, I had the 45K mile service done at no charge at the local Audi dealer, covered under my service agreement. Since then, I have put only 500 additional miles on the R8 over the last year.
    So I called the same dealer, and asked if anything needs to be done. Oh yes, I'm told, since a year has passed, regardless of mileage, I now need the 55k mile service, at a quoted cost of $1,900. Since I have no issues with the vehicle, I asked about only doing an oil change. The quote for that was $600.

Perhaps I should look for a local shop in the South Bay Los Angeles area for a second opinion?
    Any input or suggestions on what service I should perform, and where, would be most appreciated.
    -Corey
    2012 Audi R8 V10 - Titanium package - TCU tuned - Kline exhaust

I bring my R8 in for its annual service regardless of miles, as well - like you, so far everything has been covered under Audi Care. This year will probably be the first without it (I think), so I'll see what the 5 year (45k) service costs.

The 55k (6 years) service does look sizable, though - all the usual fluids, filters, oil, checks, etc. Also spark plugs, door and hood latch lubrication, belt tensioner check/replacement, battery (potentially), etc. I'd make sure to do the service, but just shop around a few dealers to make sure you're getting a competitive quote.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by aquarianuw View Post
    That's outrageous. Last year my oil change on my V10 was only $130 at the local Audi dealer.
    $130 parts and labor? that's amazing. The average I believe is $300, dealer around 500
    R8 V10 (k&n, Kline, VF ECU&TCU)
    981B (k&n)
    991 GT3
    458 Italia

Just had the 55k service performed on my '12 V10 Spyder at 16k. As others have pointed out this was the first service outside of Audicare. Cost me $1700.

Just get the audicare
    They start doing 2 yr service plans after 45k
    You can get the 55k and 65k service packaged together
    Shop around
    Probably 1000-1200$ for it
    So like 5-600$

To have nice dealer records when its time to sell is worth that small difference

Also if you ever have issues with warranty, i have audi protection plan, I can tell them all services were done by audi and they can go **** themselves trying to find a reason to not cover something lol

I was shocked to see the bill last year. Maybe they made a mistake? I will be bringing the car in a couple of weeks for another oil change and I will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by kiryu View Post
    $130 parts and labor? that's amazing. The average I believe is $300, dealer around 500
    Last edited by aquarianuw; 05-23-2019 at 07:04 PM.

I am curious to know, that while it's generally a good idea to do proper recommended maintenance every year, if your (or anyone else's) past trade-in's were involved with the dealer looking through your service records? I for sure had none of the dealers do that when trading in my cars for new cars.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkid View Post
    Just get the audicare
    They start doing 2 yr service plans after 45k
    You can get the 55k and 65k service packaged together
    Shop around
    Probably 1000-1200$ for it
    So like 5-600$

To have nice dealer records when its time to sell is worth that small difference

Also if you ever have issues with warranty, i have audi protection plan, I can tell them all services were done by audi and they can go **** themselves trying to find a reason to not cover something lol

Quote Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
    I bring my R8 in for its annual service regardless of miles, as well - like you, so far everything has been covered under Audi Care. This year will probably be the first without it (I think), so I'll see what the 5 year (45k) service costs.

The 55k (6 years) service does look sizable, though - all the usual fluids, filters, oil, checks, etc. Also spark plugs, door and hood latch lubrication, belt tensioner check/replacement, battery (potentially), etc. I'd make sure to do the service, but just shop around a few dealers to make sure you're getting a competitive quote.
    Good suggestion. I would feel more comfortable continuing to maintain at the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by aquarianuw View Post
    I am curious to know, that while it's generally a good idea to do proper recommended maintenance every year, if your (or anyone else's) past trade-in's were involved with the dealer looking through your service records? I for sure had none of the dealers do that when trading in my cars for new cars.
    I will definitely contact the dealer tomorrow, and check the price. If it's available locally within that price range, that would make financial sense, and make me feel comfortable with the continuation of dealer provided service records. Thanks for the suggestion.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast