Audi R8 Forums banner

55K mile service - $1,900? Oil change - $600?

13K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  VIPR8 
#1 ·
Advise appreciated.
I have a 2014 R8 V8 with 17K miles. One year ago, I had the 45K mile service done at no charge at the local Audi dealer, covered under my service agreement. Since then, I have put only 500 additional miles on the R8 over the last year.
So I called the same dealer, and asked if anything needs to be done. Oh yes, I'm told, since a year has passed, regardless of mileage, I now need the 55k mile service, at a quoted cost of $1,900. Since I have no issues with the vehicle, I asked about only doing an oil change. The quote for that was $600.

Perhaps I should look for a local shop in the South Bay Los Angeles area for a second opinion?
Any input or suggestions on what service I should perform, and where, would be most appreciated.
-Corey

#3 ·
I bring my R8 in for its annual service regardless of miles, as well - like you, so far everything has been covered under Audi Care. This year will probably be the first without it (I think), so I'll see what the 5 year (45k) service costs.

The 55k (6 years) service does look sizable, though - all the usual fluids, filters, oil, checks, etc. Also spark plugs, door and hood latch lubrication, belt tensioner check/replacement, battery (potentially), etc. I'd make sure to do the service, but just shop around a few dealers to make sure you're getting a competitive quote.

#13 ·
Checked around here in Orange County for the 55K service and 3 dealers quoted from $1500 to $1600. I have a low mileage car as well and was wondering if spark plug replacements are really necessary just because 6 years have passed. Do spark plugs really go bad after 6 years?

#6 ·
Just get the audicare
They start doing 2 yr service plans after 45k
You can get the 55k and 65k service packaged together
Shop around
Probably 1000-1200$ for it
So like 5-600$

To have nice dealer records when its time to sell is worth that small difference

Also if you ever have issues with warranty, i have audi protection plan, I can tell them all services were done by audi and they can go **** themselves trying to find a reason to not cover something lol

#8 ·
I am curious to know, that while it's generally a good idea to do proper recommended maintenance every year, if your (or anyone else's) past trade-in's were involved with the dealer looking through your service records? I for sure had none of the dealers do that when trading in my cars for new cars.

#17 ·
My 2012 V10 has only 14k miles, so I am only doing an oil change this year.

If you look at the "major service" items they are mostly check this and check that, or lube hinges. I do however flush the brake fluid every 2 years as it is said that moisture could potentially get into the brake lines.

#14 ·
My indy shop runs less than $300 for the oil change. That's usually my first time being out after storage and I usually have them do any other work required, brakes, line flush, etc.

#20 · (Edited)
Maintenance definitions-

1) Spare cash - proactive.
2) Broke - reactive

I'm with Ez 100%, I want mine to be perfect ALL the time, unfortunately you have to pay for this status especially if you use Audi dealerships.

#21 ·
100% with you ez.
Didn’t get into the R8 in a I don’t have the cash to keep it up scenario.

I want to pay the extra up front, so the car is perfect at all times.

Proactive is far better than reactive.

#26 ·
I just today noticed that my underside metal shield that hides the oil pan etc was missing called the dealer they forgot to put it back on. No harm i'm just happy they found it lol My air scoops where dragging a little but luckily no damage If i didn't notice that I would of never checked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.