R8 as your only car? - Page 4

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: R8 as your only car?

Re: R8 as your only car?

The R8 is an 'Every Sunny Day' Supercar.

Don't get me wrong, she drive real well in the rain with my Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - Even accelerating in turns she hugs and is a lot of fun.

While I have made lots of Costco runs for staples - Eggs, Bread, cheese, rotisserie chicken, etc.. you won't be putting the TP or paper towels in the frunk if you know what I mean.

Also won't be towing the boat with her. Not that she couldn't. Not sure what the towing capacity would be on the aluminum frame.

Since I have multiple SUVs and this is my only car, other than the wife's, I just don't think I could just have an R8 for my everyday activities or hobbies - Welding, Woodworking, Off-Roading, etc...

When we have storm's or snow I just keep the R8 in the garage with the boats and other SUVs.

It just woudn't work for my lifestyle but It's definitely comfortable enough to be a daily driver

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by frederickg View Post
    T

Also won't be towing the boat with her. Not that she couldn't. Not sure what the towing capacity would be on the aluminum frame.
    I reckon your biggest problem would be fitting a tow hitch to it.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

Smooth roads, light traffic and a VIP parking space in a restricted entrance garage under the office, now it's a daily driver!
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I guess I'm late to this thread, but just from a different perspective, I DD my R8 (V10 6MT) here in Houston. In rush hour, it's about 45-60 mins each way, so lots of gear changing going on. Despite that, it's great just enjoying the R8 experience, even when sitting still. The ride is (relatively) soft, certainly better than one of my previous commuters (MB CLK63 Black Series). Having said that, there are some surface streets here where I'm going 20MPH because they are so beat up. I avoid them when I can, and when I can't I just try to stay to the center of the street where it's less bumpy and let everyone pass me on the right .

I agree that the long doors can be a hassle when parking, so I sometimes have to squeeze out the door, but since I have 100% PPF on it I have thus far avoided any major door dings. My wife does most of the grocery shopping, but between the front trunk and the passenger seat I've managed to fit an entire cart's worth of stuff in the car. No ice cream in the front trunk though or it will be melted by the time I get home.

Made some of my thoughts on this video, I really think the R8 can make a fine daily driver if your situation allows it.

I daily drive my 3 pedal R8. If you want to daily drive, do it! It's an R8, not a Laferrari

I drove my R8 4 days in a row a few weeks ago. For the first day and a half I was pumped. By the end of the 2nd day, I was pissed that the R8 was losing it's unique nature and by the 3rd day of getting in it for the morning commute I was over it.

I put it back in the garage for 4 days and was excited to drive it again on the 5th day.

Too much of anything is never a good idea. and eventually your R8 will feel like a regular car if you're never driving anything else to balance and re-calibrate the polarity in driving sensations.
    2014 Audi R8 V8 STRONIC - 2018 Audi Q7 - 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JK)

Quote Originally Posted by GR8NJR8 View Post
    I drove my R8 4 days in a row a few weeks ago. For the first day and a half I was pumped. By the end of the 2nd day, I was pissed that the R8 was losing it's unique nature and by the 3rd day of getting in it for the morning commute I was over it.

I put it back in the garage for 4 days and was excited to drive it again on the 5th day.

Too much of anything is never a good idea. and eventually your R8 will feel like a regular car if you're never driving anything else to balance and re-calibrate the polarity in driving sensations.
    This was exactly what I was saying with my earlier post. You drive it daily it will just lose its appeal and become just another vehicle to you.
    2010 Audi R8 V10 6MT | Ibis White

Quote Originally Posted by baege View Post
    yes I've been scared porsche! maybe I will go 992 until I can have 2 cars...
    I have a Gen 1 V10 and a 991. The 991 is a far superior daily. I’ve dailied 911’s for a long time and will continue to do so. They are the best all around car imho. I’ve gotten tired of the P brand and every time I try other brands, they are lacking in one area or another.

Quote Originally Posted by GR8NJR8 View Post

I can definitely relate to this and this rationale resonates the most with me
    I tend to tire of cars quickly
    An R8 is quite the purchase and I think preserving the value of that purchase should be top priority.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast