R8 as your only car?

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: R8 as your only car?

R8 as your only car?

So I am contemplating making the move to an R8. It would be my only car. I don't commute to work, although my wife occassionally does. She has to park in a relatively tight underground garage. We make the occassional weekend road trip. We would use the R8 to grocery shop etc. I live in a big city with bad roads and lots of traffic.

I had a cayman S as my only car for several years and that worked fine.

How many have an R8 as your only car? How liveable is it in an urban environment with traffic, bad roads and tight parking situations?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: R8 as your only car?

I think using a R8 in your circumstances would be a "triumph of hope over experience". Bad roads, tight parking and grocery shopping aren't the natural habitats of the R8, buy the R8 but include in your budget a cheap daily driver for these chores.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

Good advice from Dave. I also ran a Cayman S as my daily for nearly 6 years without any real problems. When I purchased my R8 I too used it as my daily but after the first year I decided it just wasn't really doing the car or me any favours. It's quite a bit wider than a Cayman, has much less storage space and uses considerably more fuel. I now have a cheapish BMW 320 as my daily and keep the R8 for drive outs, high days and holidays. It also means the R8 isn't getting exposed to road salt every winter any longer.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    I think using a R8 in your circumstances would be a "triumph of hope over experience". Bad roads, tight parking and grocery shopping aren't the natural habitats of the R8, buy the R8 but include in your budget a cheap daily driver for these chores.
    living in a condo with one parking spot (and no availability for an additional spot) makes the additional car option pretty much undoable...but I fear you may be right about the R8 being unworkable in my circumstances...the 911 is an obvious option that would work, but having done the porsche thing for 4 years I really want a change and a naturally aspirated v10!
    Last edited by baege; 05-25-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trev450 View Post
    Good advice from Dave. I also ran a Cayman S as my daily for nearly 6 years without any real problems. When I purchased my R8 I too used it as my daily but after the first year I decided it just wasn't really doing the car or me any favours. It's quite a bit wider than a Cayman, has much less storage space and uses considerably more fuel. I now have a cheapish BMW 320 as my daily and keep the R8 for drive outs, high days and holidays. It also means the R8 isn't getting exposed to road salt every winter any longer.
    appreciate the very relevant experience...

I suppose a house move is out of the question ? When I bought mine we were moving apartments, so the first things I checked were the number of parking spaces, nearest power source,illumination and the inclination of the access ramps, rejecting any that didn't suit my car (much to the wife's irritation).

That sounds like a nightmare to me.

You'd probably be torturing the suspension - a set of magnetic ride shocks (which tend to leak) will run $8k in parts alone. Control arms are also several thousand. I wouldn't torture an R8 by driving it regularly in an urban environment.

As others have said, it's also low and wide. Doors are big, so tight spaces won't work well. The low ride height means it also doesn't work well with ramps and curbs in many situations.

Trunk space? You won't get much in there - it's small. But beyond that, it's also like an oven thanks to the fact that radiators surround it. You'll cook your groceries if they're in there for more than 10 minutes. Likewise, while you can do a weekend for two if you pack reasonably, that's about it - no week long trips where the wife wants a different pair of shoes for each day.

And if you live anywhere that gets snow, forget it - the story only gets worse from there.

The R8 is a great car, but despite the illusion that it's an "everyday supercar," it's a very poor daily driver for MOST people - and I think it's highly impractical to be a single car.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    I suppose a house move is out of the question ? When I bought mine we were moving apartments, so the first things I checked were the number of parking spaces, nearest power source,illumination and the inclination of the access ramps, rejecting any that didn't suit my car (much to the wife's irritation).
    you've got your priorities straight

we actually might be moving...but finding a property with 2 parking spots in central toronto can be a challenge

I am getting the sense that I should just hold off on the R8 dream until I am in situation where 2 cars is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
    That sounds like a nightmare to me.

You'd probably be torturing the suspension - a set of magnetic ride shocks (which tend to leak) will run $8k in parts alone. Control arms are also several thousand. I wouldn't torture an R8 by driving it regularly in an urban environment.

As others have said, it's also low and wide. Doors are big, so tight spaces won't work well. The low ride height means it also doesn't work well with ramps and curbs in many situations.

Trunk space? You won't get much in there - it's small. But beyond that, it's also like an oven thanks to the fact that radiators surround it. You'll cook your groceries if they're in there for more than 10 minutes. Likewise, while you can do a weekend for two if you pack reasonably, that's about it - no week long trips where the wife wants a different pair of shoes for each day.

And if you live anywhere that gets snow, forget it - the story only gets worse from there.

The R8 is a great car, but despite the illusion that it's an "everyday supercar," it's a very poor daily driver for MOST people - and I think it's highly impractical to be a single car.
    appreciate the real talk...you make a lot of good helpful points

Good luck and hope to see photos of your R8 in the future.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast