Audi R8 Forums banner

Washed - half hearted effort!

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  vpatel3473 
#1 ·
I've been putting off washing the R8. Given how crazy my schedule has been lately, I've had a lot less time to drive the car so far this season. So, when I had a few hours to spare today, I had to really decide how much time I'd spend washing it versus driving it. Let's just say it was a quick and sloppy wash job... but still a lot better looking than when I started. :) I'll say this - the PPF makes the wash much easier because I don't worry about scratching the paint, but I now definitely give the wash a lot less attention. The polished wheels, as well, really don't collect dirt nearly as easily as typical alloys. They're a bit blingy, and I was on the fence about getting them, but I value them each time I wash the car. Wiping them down with a microfiber towel and soapy water is usually enough to get them 95% of the way there.

The rest of the time was spent going for a nice drive - plus, I always like to enjoy a freshly cleaned car while also giving the brakes a chance to dry really well before parking. Being Memorial Day weekend here in the US, there were quite a few nice cars out on the road today. I passed a 720S, 458, the usual gaggle of 911s, and a really nice 60's era Corvette. Quite a few "thumbs up" from the bikers, as usual, and guy flagging me down on the road to say, "cool car!" Car season, and now summer in general, is officially under way!

I decided to give some love to the 650xi GC, as well, and ordered it new tires. It's still, unfortunately, pretty dirty - no time to wash TWO cars today!

See less See more
#3 ·
Ya the PPF makes a huge difference you should ceramic coat it on top most of the water just falls off. I've done ceramic pro in the past it was ok. I did IGL Kenzo on this one and it's way better. Seems to last longer and adds more gloss. If you're really lazy like I am get a deionizer no need to dry the car and it doesn't show water spots on the PPF. All in all I can get the exterior cleaned in like 20 minutes or so.

#5 ·
https://psdetailproducts.com/i-23875428-bead-maker-paint-protectant.html

Always looking for something new to make it easier and faster to clean. I'm not sure I would buy this stuff. If you look at the SDS sheet on the link it shows 94% water. On the plus side it's not loaded with petroleum distillates that will yellow over time.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-WAC_767_16-Enhancer-Protectant/dp/B003UW32UU

I use this on both my R8 and my daily car. This has a hydrophilic effect and last a good while.

#7 ·
I live in a rather small rural town.(no Starbucks!) It's 25 miles any way to get to the nearest 'big city'. Many of you speak of putting the car up for winter due to the weather. Well, this is the front of my car after a there and back from about March to September. At night is the worst as they come for the lights.

But .... I really enjoy washing my car. I've got buckets, microfibre's, foamers, deionizer's, leaf blower, blah blah. Have a sound system in the garage and a growler for my beer. Most washes are a two pint job.

Cheers

Grille Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle Vehicle

#22 ·
That turned real quick, but I was also thinking along the same lines. Anyway, back to subject matter, I don't despise washing the car, but I don't like to take it out unless it's clean. It's also black which doesn't help, but my version of clean is a little over the top, so I always get too involved and it turns into a project. The biggest pain is my rims. They are the same color as the car and dust collectors, with a lot of nooks and crannys. So, if I skimp on the cleaning, that's where I'll do enough to get by.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.