Have You Upgraded The Audio System In Your R8, And Is It Worth It? - Page 3

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have You Upgraded The Audio System In Your R8, And Is It Worth It?

Re: Have You Upgraded The Audio System In Your R8, And Is It Worth It?

I opted to install and aftermarket head unit, but did in in such a way, it is only a 5 minute plug and play job swapping back to the original unit, if you want to.....

There are a number of kits on the market like Enfig or Maestro retaining all the steering wheel controls. Also, I do not have any non-functional dials in my dash either.
    VAG Hacking Nerd....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ZaOs View Post
    I opted to install and aftermarket head unit, but did in in such a way, it is only a 5 minute plug and play job swapping back to the original unit, if you want to.....

There are a number of kits on the market like Enfig or Maestro retaining all the steering wheel controls. Also, I do not have any non-functional dials in my dash either.
    Interesting that you were able to manage the install in such a way that you can easily swap back the original unit. Very nice work! My master custom installer, who has done a bunch of R8's, would be using Maestro (which I am not happy about, it being reported here as being fiddly and requiring less than easy updates). He told me that if I wanted to have all functions working as before, he could not keep the original head unit in working condition.

JC

i just want to know where did you get all the carbon fiber pieces around the center console and the handbrake area?! looks F**king SICK!

I've had it all carbon dipped total cost about 600 and nobody as yet can tell everyone thinks its carbon. Compared to real carbon if you look at the pics of what I've had done I shudder to think of the price asked by Audi or some aftermarket carbon!

Have You Upgraded The Audio System In Your R8, And Is It Worth It?-20190524_161744_1_1559973944873.jpg

Have You Upgraded The Audio System In Your R8, And Is It Worth It?-screenshot_20190218-111443_facebook_1559973987855.jpg

Have You Upgraded The Audio System In Your R8, And Is It Worth It?-20190524_161818_1_1559974028518.jpg

Have You Upgraded The Audio System In Your R8, And Is It Worth It?-20190524_161722_1_1559974088036.jpg

Have You Upgraded The Audio System In Your R8, And Is It Worth It?-20190524_161810_1_1559974153022.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I shudder to think of the price
    Mine came from Neidfaktor, MAcarbon and JSK Racing, price..... reassuringly expensive LoL.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

I upgraded ever element of the system
    New head unit, speakers, amp, subs, phone cradle
    The sound quality is on a different planet and the head unit has car play, google maps, deezer, great phone integration
    If you want it to look oem and keep the head unit you’re making a massive compromise on functionality
    If you can live with the head unit changing, you can do the rest of the install looking oem, there is space for a huge amp where the b&o one goes and I bought a loom so didn’t have to cut the factory amp loom so can easily go back to oem for resale
    Soundproofing the doors helps but not as much as it does in the Porsches as the door already has a load and you can only apply it to one surface not 3 like the Porsche
    When you take the b&o kit out you can see how poor the quality is of the components
    If you retain the factory head unit (please don’t) you’ll need something like an audison bit 10 to treat the signal as you don’t get proper Ed from the factory head unit
    I did the whole thing myself and it was really fun and not difficult. Cost me about £1800 ($2250) in parts

Your carbon dipped parts look very good indeed. Your shop did an excellent job lining up the weaves. At a tenth of the price for real carbon, it's a no brainer. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    i just want to know where did you get all the carbon fiber pieces around the center console and the handbrake area?! looks F**king SICK!

I've had it all carbon dipped total cost about 600 and nobody as yet can tell everyone thinks its carbon. Compared to real carbon if you look at the pics of what I've had done I shudder to think of the price asked by Audi or some aftermarket carbon!

Click image for larger version.

Name:	20190524_161744_1_1559973944873.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	236170

Name:	Screenshot_20190218-111443_Facebook_1559973987855.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	236172

Name:	20190524_161818_1_1559974028518.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	236174

Name:	20190524_161722_1_1559974088036.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	236176

Name:	20190524_161810_1_1559974153022.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	236178
    Hidden Content
    Audi R8 V10 S-Tronic - Brilliant Red - Fire Red PPF -
    SprintBooster - Clearplex - Android AV - Michelin PS4S

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input, it was both helpful and useful to read your perspectives. I'm a couple weeks out from the scheduled installation of the new head unit (a new top of the line Kenwood). The tech is in such demand that he's been working 70 hour weeks due to his skills and abilities with custom installs for high end cars. So, just to get an appointment locked in, I told him that I would decide on whether to upgrade the rest of the audio when I bring the car in for the head unit install and we discuss all the options.

I'm honestly still split down the middle about whether to go with upgrading speakers, adding an amp and subwoofer, etc. Leaning just a little bit towards just sticking to the head unit upgrade, but I go back and forth.

JC

JC, maybe stick with the head unit first, see how much the sound improves. If you're happy with the improvements, you can call it a day and save a ton for other mods.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by HowieR888 View Post
    JC, maybe stick with the head unit first, see how much the sound improves. If you're happy with the improvements, you can call it a day and save a ton for other mods.
    Good advice Howie. The only catch is that I have to drive three hours to the installers shop. I then need to rent a car to drive the three hours to get home, wait two days, and then drive back with the rental car, and back home again in the R8 (using only the freeways due to the route and other issues). I would hate to have to repeat that all over again if I did decide I needed to upgrade the audio later. I think this is a one time decision, either way. Still pondering.

JC

I understand this logistic challenge as I have to do long distance driving often as well. Here's another option.

Have your installer do the head unit, ask for his unbiased opinion over the phone, and if he feels not much has improved, to then proceed with swapping out the rest of the components.

If your installer says the improvements are significant, then return to collect your car. This of course will only work if you trust your installer to provide a true unbiased feedback.

Since he is already doing 70 hour weeks, it's unlikely he'll need the extra work on your car by telling you more components have to be installed if they are not needed.

Tough call. Please keep us posted
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast