won't start, no turn over - battery OK, ideas?

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: won't start, no turn over - battery OK, ideas?

won't start, no turn over - battery OK, ideas?

hello all

R8, V8 2008, manual

Won't turn over! -Here's what we have.

Battery is new and charged. (and confirmed with a battery meter / health checker). (I had it on charge additionally also just in case).
    Ignition comes on, radio, all electrics seem fine. Battery level good.

Turn key, and there is absolutely nothing.
    No attempt at turn over, cannot hear any clicking of solenoids (at least from inside the car).
    Very quiet slight short sound from speakers.
    I tried the spare key, incase it's some transponder problem in the key (immobiliser).

Maybe it's the switch that says if the clutch is pushed all the way down - can I get to that switch easy?
    Any other ideas?!

--
    Normally I keep this garaged.
    But last week it's been outside - terrible rain in that time!
    The interior (carpets) etc all dry. Fuse holders look dry.
    Maybe rain is a red herring!

--
    can anyone suggest a series of tests/checks I should walk through?

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: won't start, no turn over - battery OK, ideas?

Had the same problem right after my battery was changed. I was having this problem intermittently. Dealer checked the battery, the entire electrical system as well as starter and all okay. Turns out on the times the starter would not turn, I wasn't stepping on the brake pedal hard enough.

Same here. When mine doesn't crank, I press the brake pedal down harder and viola. I've gotten to do this without thinking about it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I recently had a similar issue, took my car in and was told the transmission pump needed to be replaced. If it doesn't hold enough pressure, the car won't start.
    2011 R8 V10 Sepang Blue | Stasis suspension & sway bar | Capristo exhaust | APR tune | BMC Racing Filters | 20" Vellano VCX Concave wheels | Maxton front lip | CF side skirt extensions | CF nav surround | CF rear diffuser | CF alcantara wheel | Passport 9500ci radar & Radarmirror | Xpel PPF | Black badges, markers, exhaust tips | Euro front grill plate/delete | color matched calipers | ceramic tint | custom floor mats | custom paddle shifters | PedalBox | Wave rotors

Quote Originally Posted by yahya View Post
    I recently had a similar issue, took my car in and was told the transmission pump needed to be replaced. If it doesn't hold enough pressure, the car won't start.
    Please get a second opinion on that. Sound, like a stealership needing revenue, like this guy that was quoted $9K to replace the rear main seal (in a Q7 I think). He went for a second opinion, where they changed the oil while replacing the drain plug and washer, and cleaned it. No more leaking, and he still has $8,600 in his wallet. I mean, how can there be any pressure in the transmission when the pump isn't running? Sounds wonky to me.

Transmission pump or brake pedal switch don't apply, the OP's car is a manual! clutch or neutral switch or starter relay.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements