How often MUST you drive it? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often MUST you drive it?

Re: How often MUST you drive it?

Quote Originally Posted by NZV10 View Post
    Only “up to” highway speeds?
    LOL. If there's no traffic, highway speeds could be up to 90mph. Sometimes I take it to the back roads which are hella fun to drive but max speeds are realistically only 50-60mph.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X-FwJO1xZM&t=31s

Lots of cars that don't even get to driven a lot...
    2012 Audi R8 V10 - Titanium package - TCU tuned - Kline exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by aquarianuw View Post
    Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X-FwJO1xZM&t=31s

Lots of cars that don't even get to driven a lot...
    Great video - How the other half live eh!
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

i think there's no concrete answer, all personal preference. Even if there are confirmed damages due to sitting too long, such as dried out seals/rubber, it cant be found until years later. I say drive it as much as you can, I try not to let each car sit more than 2-3 weeks, even if that means i need to do a short grocery or bank run, i would take the opportunity to swap them out from time to time to make sure they get equal love lol
    R8 V10 (k&n, Kline, VF ECU&TCU)
    981B (k&n)
    991 GT3
    458 Italia

Well, I don't know if there's a perfect answer to this - perhaps an engineer could break it all down scientifically and tell you what happens to each components at what point of sitting, etc. But, in general, the advice I've always heard from any mechanic... "drive it."

I try to take it out at least once every 1 - 2 weeks. Sometimes I get really lucky and can take it out several days back to back, and then other times 3 weeks will go by due to a busy schedule, travel, etc. But between the months of April through November (or first snow - sometimes December), I take it out as much as reasonably possible. Over the past 5 years, I've now averaged around 3,600 miles per year. It stays hibernating, attached to a CTEK, for ~3 - 4 months each winter. While not ideal, it's certainly better for the car to sit than to be exposed to road salt.

I'd say try to get it out every few weeks minimum. I don't hook the car to the CTEK unless it's for the winter. Sitting for a few weeks between drives, on a healthy battery, should be a non-issue. When you do take it out, make it a good, healthy drive - not just 5 minutes. Let it warm up, and then really drive it. I make sure the car gets a combination of cruising and spirited driving typically on each run. I'll typically drive it 1 - 2 hours once out. Ideally, I'll also give it a good few runs to redline. For the last few miles I'll generally not push it TOO hard, focusing more on letting it get some good airflow to cool off. Once home, it typically goes straight into the garage, but I'll look to leave the garage open (if possible, depending on schedule) to let the hot air out - otherwise the garage turns into an oven and the car probably doesn't shed the heat as much as it should.

As for mileage, I'm not overly concerned. I bought the R8 to keep indefinitely, and I mentally wrote off the cost when I bought it. The money was spent. So, from day 1, the car was for enjoying... otherwise, I spent a lot of money for no good reason.

Get it out, drive it and enjoy it. It's good for you, and it's good for the car!
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
    Get it out, drive it and enjoy it. It's good for you, and it's good for the car!
    Hallelujah!

I just picked up my 1st gen gated v10 and it'll be my daily driver!

In Scott Ahlman's post I thought it was interesting where he wondered whether a lot of sitting around was a contributory factor in early magride failure... More reason to get in it and drive it regularly!
    2008 Phantom Black 6MT V8 R8

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Great video - How the other half live eh!
    Thanks for all the thoughts everybody - interesting!

And yeah - the story at the end, sent his replacement car down to France on a transporter by 9pm the same day!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderingmind83 View Post
    Thanks for all the thoughts everybody - interesting!

And yeah - the story at the end, sent his replacement car down to France on a transporter by 9pm the same day!
    Where I live you couldn't get a replacement light bulb the next day !
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12