How often MUST you drive it?

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often MUST you drive it?

How often MUST you drive it?

Strange question I know! But does anybody have any opinions on how often as a minimum you should drive the thing to keep it in good order?

When not in use, It's in a garage, under a cover attached to a Ctek battery trickle, with quiet Relaxation music being played to it on loop.
    But we are having a few weeks of constant rain here and then after that I'm away for a bit. I'm just wondering what people think about leaving the cars for longer periods, and doing this quite regularly, particularly over winter...

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
    V8 | Daytona Grey Body & Blades | Manual 6 | Valved Capristo Exhaust | Extended Leather | B&O
    Bristol UK

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: How often MUST you drive it?

Some owners on the forum park theirs up all over the winter with just the CTEK connected and don't report any problems.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

Most supercars are driven infrequently. I haven't heard of these cars suffering mechanical issues due to lack of use; and it certainly doesn't hurt their resale values. Personally I only drive my R8 every 1-2 weeks and have had no issues. That said, when I do drive it, its usually for at least 30 minutes and I take the car up to highway speeds.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Yeah I kind of figured they must be designed to be ok not to drive for a while. interesting to hear some people keep them in all winter. I have a BMW as the daily driver, it's got a few miles on now but still drives really well, however leave it for 3-4 weeks, like I did recently at the airport long stay and it doesn't run smoothly at all on start up. But drive it everyday and it's sweet as a nut.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
    V8 | Daytona Grey Body & Blades | Manual 6 | Valved Capristo Exhaust | Extended Leather | B&O
    Bristol UK

If you don't drive your car for more than a month at a time, I'd be concerned about the following:

1. Battery-keep on CTEK or equivalent
    2. Tires-flat spot where the tires meet the ground
    3. Rodents-which is why I don't use a car cover anymore as mice seem to like dark areas.
    4. Condensation build up in gas tank-keep tank full
    5. Proper lubrication upon startup-make sure you give the car sufficient time to warm up before driving.

I know people who just start their car once a week for 10 minutes and let it idle. I'm told the car needs to be driven to the point where all fluids get a chance to reach normal operating temperatures.

Other than not driving it when there's salt on the roads in the winter, I drive mine as often as I possibly can. It's very therapeutic.
    2009 Phantom Black R8 with carbon fiber blades, R tronic

Only “up to” highway speeds?
    Quote Originally Posted by OC R8 View Post
    Most supercars are driven infrequently. I haven't heard of these cars suffering mechanical issues due to lack of use; and it certainly doesn't hurt their resale values. Personally I only drive my R8 every 1-2 weeks and have had no issues. That said, when I do drive it, its usually for at least 30 minutes and I take the car up to highway speeds.
    2010 R8 V10 Daytona Grey R-tronic
    2011 S5 V8 Quartz Grey Tiptronic, sports differential

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Other than not driving it when there's salt on the roads in the winter, I drive mine as often as I possibly can. It's very therapeutic.
    I take mine out at least every weekend, year-round, that it's not raining or below 50^F, and you're right. . .it's very therapeutic. If it's going to sit for more than three days, I connect the CTEK. #becausechangingthebatteryinthisthingsucks

Starting a car up every now and then and letting it idle is worse than doing nothing. By far the greatest engine wear occurs when below normal operating temperature, so the aim is to get to that temp as fast as possible with straining the engine or other components. In addition, short periods idling rather than driving are bad for the exhaust due to the accumulation of moisture and heat.

This also relates to daily driving. It is bad practice to warm up a car, even before a drive, by idling.
    Quote Originally Posted by OC R8 View Post

I know people who just start their car once a week for 10 minutes and let it idle. I'm told the car needs to be driven to the point where all fluids get a chance to reach normal operating temperatures.

I get mine out most weekends, not good for maintaining the cars value at the point of resale, but I don’t value sale price, so much as the enjoyment of driving the car. If I valued minimising loss on sale, the best way to avoid that is to, well, not buy a car!

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast