Parking the R8

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parking the R8

Parking the R8

New to car ownership of the R8 caliber, I have a question. When parking is tight, how many are shy to occupy 2 spots to ensure no door dings, etc? I am honestly wondering because sometimes when leaving in a p lot that is somewhat tight or feeling unpredictable is it bad etiquette to occupy 2 spots? Thanks all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Parking the R8

Quote Originally Posted by Wcclubchamp View Post
    ...is it bad etiquette to occupy 2 spots?
    Always. You're just asking for a keying.

Quote Originally Posted by GT#298 View Post
    Always. You're just asking for a keying.
    Taking up two spots is a douche move. Just go park at the farthest end of the parking lot and walk the extra steps. Your heart and your R8 will thank you for it.
    2014 Audi R8 V8 STRONIC - 2018 Audi Q7 - 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JK)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Agree with those above - never, ever take up two spots. It's very poor etiquette and reinforces stereotypes that the guy driving the fancy car really thinks he's better than everyone else.

Here's the way I look at it:

If you're going to park in a public lot, and you're concerned about door dings (don't blame you, people are reckless and inconsiderate), park in the rear of the lot, far away from others. This will cut down on the potential for damage, but it'll actually INCREASE the attention to your car. You're now sitting in the wide open, and everyone entering/exiting the lot will likely take note. Expect "visitors" to stop and look... and some may touch.

Another alternative is to park among everyone else, but look to park near nice cars. No guarantee here, either, but in many cases it's safer to park next to what looks like another car enthusiast (or someone who just generally looks to CARE for their car) versus the dented minivan that's parked close to the line.

The BEST option, however, is simply to never park in public lots. I drive the R8 typically point A to point A. Every now and then I find the need to stop, park, and get out for something - usually very rare, and then I'd follow the plan of parking at the far end of the lot. I've maybe done this 3 or 4 times over the years, and pretty much EACH time I came back out (only running in a store for 5 minutes), I've found people standing around the car looking at it. Never a bad situation, and in one of the cases I was able to let a little boy take a seat inside who was eyeing it up with his dad. But, as I said, parking at the far end of the lot DOES tend to bring some extra attention.

Long story short, there's no guarantee if you're going to park in public. Be courteous. But if you don't have tolerance for any door dings, you really need to eliminate the potential altogether and just don't park in public. Keep that kind of stuff for your DD.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

Agree with Ez, if I need to use a public parking area I stay with the car and my wife does what's needed. If I'm alone it's because I'm going from A to B with no need to park.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

Yea didn’t know what to do. The gym was not all that busy since it is Saturday, but conveniently there were NO corner spots available or visibly wide spots that were really comfortable. Gives you that uneasy feeling when you’ll be away from the car for 45-60 minutes unsupervised

Quote Originally Posted by Wcclubchamp View Post
    Yea didn’t know what to do. The gym was not all that busy since it is Saturday, but conveniently there were NO corner spots available or visibly wide spots that were really comfortable. Gives you that uneasy feeling when you’ll be away from the car for 45-60 minutes unsupervised
    Understandable - I wouldn't want to park the R8 in a public lot for 45 - 60 minutes, either. The simple fix is just take a different car to these things.

I took my DD to the grocery store tonight, and honestly, I still parked far away from the pack. First, because I don't want door dings in my DD, either, if I can help it. Second, it was a beautiful evening, and I enjoyed the extra long walk. But DDs will come and go for me, whereas the R8 is a keeper. If something happens to the DD, it happens. I bought it to use as I would any normal car. It gets parked at the airport, sometimes for weeks. It goes to the grocery store, the mall, the bank, etc. Again, I'll still take care where I park it (as it was still an expensive car, and I like to keep my cars looking nice), but I won't worry about it.

If you're going to worry about the car, that takes the enjoyment out of owning and driving it.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

What these gentlemen said.

Two spot parking increases damage to your car exponentially. Park in an end lot, next to another nice car, or a slightly further lot. But don't park so far that it's the only car out there as this will attract too much attention.

I've found that most people are very considerate when parking next to my R8 by opening their doors gently. And in narrow lots, it's actually better because the other cars can't swing their doors wide to cause those deep dings.

Unfortunately, none of the above can deter the few who are inconsiderate or out to damage your car. I've seen guys in studded jeans as heavy as 200 lbs sit on my hood for photos, one guy swing open his door so hard next to my car hoping to do maximum damage that his door slammed back on his face (without hitting my car, karma!), and front and rear bumper paint damage where they purposely back into my car in underground parking lots.

The R8 is a magnet for attention, both good and bad. Just enjoy your cars and not worry too much about these minor damages. One thing is for sure, owning the R8 the last 7 years was certainly a fantastic cure for my OCD.
    Hidden Content
    Audi R8 V10 S-Tronic - Brilliant Red - Fire Red PPF -
    SprintBooster - Clearplex - Android AV - Michelin PS4S

All the advice above is absolutely worthwhile. There are times that I am out in the R8, when I simply must stop at a store or restaurant for a carryout, or something else. I do look for end spots and park right on the outside line form maximum distance between vehicles, or otherwise park at the outside edges of the lot, to avoid other cars. Taking up two spots is unwise, at best, although I certainly have major issues with anyone who would take it upon themselves to key or damage a parked car for ANY reason.

A year or so back, there was a beautiful Maserati in a public lot I was also using, whose owner did choose to take up the majority of two spaces. Now, in his defense, he parked well out of the normal parking area, on the extreme outskirts of the lot. I was walking out to my car, which I parked in a single, end spot, not far from his when I noticed a guy stopping his pickup just behind the Maserati. He got out, and started to deface the side door with a knife. I quietly walked up from behind, while he was completely occupied in his criminal behavior, and proceeded to kick him between the legs with my hiking boot, as hard as I could manage, which, trust me, was extremely forceful. Upon rolling him over, I then stood with my boot's sole on his throat and informed him that out of self preservation, if he moved, I would have to press down, and crush his throat, to protect my own life, given that he was clearly a large, and demonstrably violent man, and had a knife in his hand. Someone called the police and they arrived in just a few minutes. He was taken away, and rather forcibly so by the attending policemen.

The owner arrived just as they were putting him in the police vehicle, and was very appreciative, but I still felt for him because the knife damage was extremely unfortunate, and also, I'm sure, costly to remediate. At least, due to the arrest, he could go after the scumbag civilly and recoup the likely substantial repair costs.

In the end, taking up two spots is clearly not a good choice, but thinking you have the god given right to damage a parked car rates pretty high on my list of things that can't be tolerated.

JC
    Last edited by Slapshot; 06-15-2019 at 11:29 PM.

I agree with the rest here. I have a DD and only drive the R8 from point A to point A. Honestly, I wouldn't dare park my R8 in public for more than a minute.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast