Low Oil Warning Light Question - Is It Overly Touchy, In General?

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: Low Oil Warning Light Question - Is It Overly Touchy, In General?

Low Oil Warning Light Question - Is It Overly Touchy, In General?

I purchased an R8, my dream car, almost a year ago to the day. It is a 2009 with only 18k miles on it. I've had two situation relating to oil warning lights that I'm wondering about. The first took place after the Audi dealer that I took it to for an oil change and checkup, after I got it back home, was somehow a quart short from filling it entirely. I drove it home (about 20 miles) from the dealership, with no issues. The next day. I took it out for a ride in the country, and about two hours into the trip, the low oil warning light came on. I had trouble making any sense of it since I had just literally had the oil changed. The light did go out after a few minutes, which further confused me.

When I got to a full service gas station a few minutes later, I checked the oil level (following the proper procedure for an R8 V8), and discovered that the oil was indeed a bit low. I called the dealer, and they apologized profusely for the error, and told me to add a quart, and recheck the oil level. Following the addition of a quart, all appeared well. I never again experienced an oil light again for the remainder of the five months I drove the car until storing it for winter.

Skip to the other day. I took the R8 out for yet another run in the country. I was about three hours into the trip, and heading back towards home when I hit a very small, unseen bump in the road. Immediately following that, the low oil light came on, but only for about 30 seconds, and then went off again. I rerouted myself to a major road where a gas station would be available, and stopped and checked the oil. Again, I ended up being just barely a quart low. I added a quart of new oil, and all was well again. However, I'm seriously wondering if the low oil light can really be relied upon. Given how much oil the R8 holds (almost 11 quarts), it seems a bit ridiculous to have a warning come on, (and, for that matter, go off shortly after) when the engine is only a quart low. Is this common with R8's? Is this another situation like the common issue with German engineered cars that will turn on low tire air warnings non stop until you address it, even if the tires are a pound low? And if thats the case, why did the light go out after coming on?

Also, having read the manual extensively, it stats that and I am paraphrasing, "the R8 utilizes a very high performance engine and it is not unusual to see consumption of a quart every 1200-2000 miles". Is that also accurate? I've had other high performance cars that barely used a drop of oil between oil changes.

JC

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Low Oil Warning Light Question - Is It Overly Touchy, In General?

When you say low oil light, do you mean the low oil pressure warning light? Not enough oil in the engine is only one reason why you might not have enough oil pressure.

I too have a 2009 and have had to add oil several times over the nearly 36,000 miles I've driven. I keep a quart in a gallon zip-lock bag in the boot, along with a folded paper towel, two pieces of plain printer paper, and nail. If I see a low oil warning light, the nail lets me break the seal, I fold the paper into a make-shift funnel, and wipe up any drips with the paper towel and put everything back into the zip-lock bag.
    2009 Phantom Black R8 with carbon fiber blades, R tronic

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by motoent View Post
    When you say low oil light, do you mean the low oil pressure warning light? Not enough oil in the engine is only one reason why you might not have enough oil pressure.
    Sorry, I should have clarified, the oil light that came on was the one showing a sort of oil can symbol indicating low oil. The oil pressure was fine in each instance.

JC

It could be a faulty oil level sensor, replaced mine a while back. Have you done a scan on VCDS to check whether it's throwing any error codes?

Low Oil Warning Light Question - Is It Overly Touchy, In General?-img_4346.jpg

Low Oil Warning Light Question - Is It Overly Touchy, In General?-img_2911.jpg

Low Oil Warning Light Question - Is It Overly Touchy, In General?-img_1598.jpg

If the sensor is faulty, the indicator should be yellow. Otherwise red.

I would check codes. Like stated above, it could be the sensor. Mine went faulty a few weeks ago and needed replacing. V8 also does burn a good amount of oil from what I've read.

I can't speak for the R8 (haven't ever experienced a low oil situation), but my wife's Q5 drinks oil. It's done it more in its "old age" now, but when the oil is just getting low, the light may come one but then not come on 2 minutes later when the car is restarted, only to reappear a few minutes after driving, etc. After a bit, it'll consistently remain on. May just be the border-line sensitivity.

I'd probably check for codes as others suggested, check for leaks as well - but I wouldn't be too concerned if nothing turns up there.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

11. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements