62,000+ miles / 100,000+ Km 2010 R8 V10 MT - Page 3

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 62,000+ miles / 100,000+ Km 2010 R8 V10 MT

Re: 62,000+ miles / 100,000+ Km 2010 R8 V10 MT

Quote Originally Posted by Mlaudisa View Post
    I wasn't aware of that program, but sounds like you were low-balled too... not as miserable as mine, mind you... now I'm not sure what to do: if I keep it, it will continue to lose value and may require serious, expensive repairs. If I sell now, with the money I get I won't be able to get anything close to it.

Lesson learned: do not daily your supercars (unless you're wealthy and don't care).. I should have known better. Besides, I love the car and don't really want to see it gone, but the more I hang on to it the more acute the problem gets. First world problems.
    Good argument to keep it, good argument sell it! but enjoy the car until you decide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Private sale will always be your best bet. And although some work, it would prob pay off. Dealer trade is always going to be low ball offer.

That said, there’s good and bad on private sale (not getting into all the hassles of titles, cash, credit, PPI, etc.), and just focusing on finding a buyer.

High mileage (even V10 6MT examples) will always follow the market. Because even in early year cars, there are plenty of examples out there that come up all the time with low mileage, because most of us drive them as weekend warriors. People will wait to hop on one when it does, so those will move quickly.
    And people will pay a premium for them vs spending less on a high mileage example, even if it’s clean.

The fact is, the buyer in our market of cars, is spending play money most of the time. So no one is going to bat much of an eye spending 95-115k vs spending 65k, if the car is low mileage and the spec they want.

The good thing you have going for you, is this is the site where you can sell it. (In addition to autotrader etc). But here, you’re going to find serious buyers and probably buyers that are reputable. And you’re also selling an R8, and not a GTI. So there is still desirability even with high miles.

I’d try private sale if I were you, and you’ll end up focusing on younger buyers who don’t have expendable income, but are looking to reach their dream of a supercar, or Iron Man’s car. So they will also likely have to find a way to finance and not have cash. And may be more likely to go for the early V8s. And they’ll also likely want bottom basement price.

On their side of it, if they’re stretching, they need to understand the cost of ownership on a high mileage exotic.

The other market you may find, having a V10, is selling to someone with expendable income who’s looking to pick up a cheap V10 for dedicated track use. They’ll be a cash buyer and again, likely want bottom basement price.

Just my 0.02. It’s going to take you a while to sell, but the right buyer will come along. Especially if it’s a clean example and the options tick that buyer’s want list.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDent View Post
    Private sale will always be your best bet. And although some work, it would prob pay off. Dealer trade is always going to be low ball offer.

That said, there’s good and bad on private sale (not getting into all the hassles of titles, cash, credit, PPI, etc.), and just focusing on finding a buyer.

High mileage (even V10 6MT examples) will always follow the market. Because even in early year cars, there are plenty of examples out there that come up all the time with low mileage, because most of us drive them as weekend warriors. People will wait to hop on one when it does, so those will move quickly.
    And people will pay a premium for them vs spending less on a high mileage example, even if it’s clean.

The fact is, the buyer in our market of cars, is spending play money most of the time. So no one is going to bat much of an eye spending 95-115k vs spending 65k, if the car is low mileage and the spec they want.

The good thing you have going for you, is this is the site where you can sell it. (In addition to autotrader etc). But here, you’re going to find serious buyers and probably buyers that are reputable. And you’re also selling an R8, and not a GTI. So there is still desirability even with high miles.

I’d try private sale if I were you, and you’ll end up focusing on younger buyers who don’t have expendable income, but are looking to reach their dream of a supercar, or Iron Man’s car. So they will also likely have to find a way to finance and not have cash. And may be more likely to go for the early V8s. And they’ll also likely want bottom basement price.

On their side of it, if they’re stretching, they need to understand the cost of ownership on a high mileage exotic.

The other market you may find, having a V10, is selling to someone with expendable income who’s looking to pick up a cheap V10 for dedicated track use. They’ll be a cash buyer and again, likely want bottom basement price.

Just my 0.02. It’s going to take you a while to sell, but the right buyer will come along. Especially if it’s a clean example and the options tick that buyer’s want list.
    I think you really summarized it well, thank you for this, it helps me clarify the options.
    -------------------------
    2010 R8 V10 | Manual Transmission | Ibis White | GMG Exhaust

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I wasn't aware of that program, but sounds like you were low-balled too... not as miserable as mine, mind you... now I'm not sure what to do: if I keep it, it will continue to lose value and may require serious, expensive repairs. If I sell now, with the money I get I won't be able to get anything close to it.

Lesson learned: do not daily your supercars (unless you're wealthy and don't care).. I should have known better. Besides, I love the car and don't really want to see it gone, but the more I hang on to it the more acute the problem gets. First world problems.
    First off: GOOD for you for driving it. I don't advocate daily driving an R8 - largely because it's impractical, but that's completely different than getting to enjoy the car!

As far as the finance side of this goes - when I bought my R8, I mentally wrote off the purchase and assumed the money to be permanently gone. Given that the car was $178k ($191k with taxes), that was a hard conceptual pill to swallow. But I did it because I didn't want to think about the car's value. I didn't want to weigh whether I should go for a drive, or for how long or far, because I'm worried I'd be devaluing the car. I bought the car to ENJOY, not as an investment.

And that's the thing about cars, the more you enjoy them, the less they're typically "worth." But that wasn't the equation I wanted to live by when owning this car. In fact, over the years, the more I've driven my R8, the more I've fallen in love with it. I know it SO much better than I did when I first picked it up... how it handles, sounds, and what to expect in various situations. I look at the mileage like I'd look at a photo album - it's my history and experience with the car. I want that photo album FULL of memories, not thin and sparse because I was "preserving" its value. I want to look back at all of the places I've been with it, the roads I've discovered, beautiful days driving aimlessly, and of course those spirited driving moments where I've gotten a glimpse at what the R8 could REALLY do.

To be 100% honest, I wouldn't sell my R8 for what I paid, or even quite a bit more. I can't replace it. I can't order a new one. And there won't be new naturally aspirated V10 supercars coming out... probably EVER again. So, for me, the typical equation doesn't work... the way in which others would put value on the car is far from my OWN personal value. And that's fine - I never intend to sell it.

So, your other option might be to simply look at it this way - keep the car, drive it, enjoy it, and stop looking at the odometer.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
    First off: GOOD for you for driving it. I don't advocate daily driving an R8 - largely because it's impractical, but that's completely different than getting to enjoy the car!

As far as the finance side of this goes - when I bought my R8, I mentally wrote off the purchase and assumed the money to be permanently gone. Given that the car was $178k ($191k with taxes), that was a hard conceptual pill to swallow. But I did it because I didn't want to think about the car's value. I didn't want to weigh whether I should go for a drive, or for how long or far, because I'm worried I'd be devaluing the car. I bought the car to ENJOY, not as an investment.

And that's the thing about cars, the more you enjoy them, the less they're typically "worth." But that wasn't the equation I wanted to live by when owning this car. In fact, over the years, the more I've driven my R8, the more I've fallen in love with it. I know it SO much better than I did when I first picked it up... how it handles, sounds, and what to expect in various situations. I look at the mileage like I'd look at a photo album - it's my history and experience with the car. I want that photo album FULL of memories, not thin and sparse because I was "preserving" its value. I want to look back at all of the places I've been with it, the roads I've discovered, beautiful days driving aimlessly, and of course those spirited driving moments where I've gotten a glimpse at what the R8 could REALLY do.

To be 100% honest, I wouldn't sell my R8 for what I paid, or even quite a bit more. I can't replace it. I can't order a new one. And there won't be new naturally aspirated V10 supercars coming out... probably EVER again. So, for me, the typical equation doesn't work... the way in which others would put value on the car is far from my OWN personal value. And that's fine - I never intend to sell it.

So, your other option might be to simply look at it this way - keep the car, drive it, enjoy it, and stop looking at the odometer.
    Good perspective Ezmaass, will chew on it... it's part curiosity for something new that spurred this on too, but thanks for the help, perhaps it's really just a slow march down the depreciation slope and there's little that can be done about it, period.

I saw this quote the other day, and it’s a bit crude, so forgive that and don’t keep reading if it will offend you...

“Not driving your car to keep miles low for resale is like not banging your girlfriend to keep it tight for the next guy.”

I saw this quote the other day, and it’s a bit crude, so forgive that and don’t keep reading if it will offend you...

“Not driving your car to keep miles low for resale is like not banging your girlfriend to keep it tight for the next guy.”
    I didn't know Donald Trump also owned an R8
    2013 Audi R8 V10 Spyder S tronic
    2013 Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI quattro 225 hp S tronic
    2000 Audi TT 1.8 turbo quattro 225 hp 6 speed manual
    1993 Audi cabriolet 2.3 130 hp 5 speed manual

2003 Honda VTX 1800c
    2002 HD FLSTF Fat Boy

Ha ha ha ha... except your girlfriend doesn't depreciate, and if you want a new one it doesn't matter how many "miles" you've put on her...

BTW, the 997.1 GT3 I test drove the other day is a wild animal, a thing of beauty... the GT4 didn't thrill me though

Ha ha ha ha... except your girlfriend doesn't depreciate, and if you want a new one it doesn't matter how many "miles" you've put on her...
    Oh there is depreciation. And if your married and you trade up, trust me, you’ll lose money on the deal.
    Ha!

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast