62,000+ miles / 100,000+ Km 2010 R8 V10 MT - Page 4

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 62,000+ miles / 100,000+ Km 2010 R8 V10 MT

Re: 62,000+ miles / 100,000+ Km 2010 R8 V10 MT

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDent View Post
    Oh there is depreciation. And if your married and you trade up, trust me, you’ll lose money on the deal.
    Ha!
    Touche’.... !
    -------------------------
    2010 R8 V10 | Manual Transmission | Ibis White | GMG Exhaust

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Let's see pics of your beauty Mlaudisa
    2010 Audi R8 V10 6MT | Ibis White

Oh there is depreciation. And if your married and you trade up, trust me, you’ll lose money on the deal.
    Ha!
    Too funny, my friend!
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
    Ha!
    Too funny, my friend! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.r8talk.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
    *you’re

I hate autocorrect!

And indeed. Been there.

Quote Originally Posted by chin.up View Post
    Here you go
    62,000+ miles / 100,000+ Km 2010 R8 V10 MT-b5a71385-0cd7-4b19-be24-34ac89ab73e0.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mlaudisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chin.up View Post
    Here you go
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B5A71385-0CD7-4B19-BE24-34AC89AB73E0.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	281.8 KB 
ID:	237958
    Awesome man.
    Love it.

I’ve actually pattered my build off of a pic of your car on the track you posted forever ago.

Can’t hardly wait to get mine done.

~Joel

Here you go
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B5A71385-0CD7-4B19-BE24-34AC89AB73E0.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	281.8 KB 
ID:	237958
    Looks awesome man
    2010 Audi R8 V10 6MT | Ibis White

Out of curiosity, I did some quick math on what the car cost me so far, including fuel, repairs, mods, rims, tires, insurance, etc. I then calculated the cost/mileage driven, and got CAD $1.92/Km or USD $2.38/mile... That includes the cost of depreciation, which is simply what I paid for originally less the latest trade-in quote I received (I didn't factor in any opportunity cost of that money, i.e. loss of interest accrued over that time).

What's even more interesting is that even modelling a lower mileage car, say 2/3 of the mileage I put on, doesn't change the cost/mile much. It obviously changes the total cost in fuel, repairs, etc. and lessens depreciation, but the ratio remains similar. Moral of the story, in case we didn't all already know, is that owning a supercar ain't cheap, and every mile of fun driving carries a non-trivial price tag. I would imagine this would only get worse for less reliable vehicles, such as older Ferraris.

Out of curiosity, I did some quick math on what the car cost me so far, including fuel, repairs, mods, rims, tires, insurance, etc. I then calculated the cost/mileage driven, and got CAD $1.92/Km or USD $2.38/mile... That includes the cost of depreciation, which is simply what I paid for originally less the latest trade-in quote I received (I didn't factor in any opportunity cost of that money, i.e. loss of interest accrued over that time).

What's even more interesting is that even modelling a lower mileage car, say 2/3 of the mileage I put on, doesn't change the cost/mile much. It obviously changes the total cost in fuel, repairs, etc. and lessens depreciation, but the ratio remains similar. Moral of the story, in case we didn't all already know, is that owning a supercar ain't cheap, and every mile of fun driving carries a non-trivial price tag. I would imagine this would only get worse for less reliable vehicles, such as older Ferraris.
    These are typically the types of calculations that most people should do but don't. But certainly, the more you've driven, the better bang for your buck you've gotten!

Opportunity cost is the real killer. Take that purchase price and mentally buy a low cost S&P 500 index... then compare to the R8 (or any car, really). With an average return of 10%/year (assuming reinvestment of dividends), it gets pretty ugly over time. I was 34 when I purchased my R8... $191k with tax, as I said earlier. At roughly 10%/year, after 5 years, that would be about $307k. The R8's value? Probably ~$100k, for a delta of $207k lost. After 10 years, that investment would be $495k. The R8's value? I don't know... but likely a lot less! After 30 years, or 64 years old.... that $191k investment would be worth $3.3M. Inflation adjusted (to be fair), we're still talking around $1.5M. So, what will the R8 be worth in 30 years?

In fact, my R8 will be 5 years old in less than another month, so I can use some real data on that 5 year mark. Had I invested in the S&P 5 years ago in August with my R8 money ($191k), I would have seen it climb about 55% to today's current price. So, $191k would now be worth $296k. I'll be kind and won't even consider reinvestment of dividends (which would add another $20k+ to this number). I then spent quite a bit on some other items, such as insurance, gas, state excise tax, PPF, and luggage. Let's add those up:

- Purchase with Tax: $191k
    - Insurance (5 years @ ~$2k/year): $10k
    - Gas (900 gallons @ $3.5/gallon): $3,150
    - Excise Tax (5 years @ ~$3k/year): $15k
    - PPF and Paint Correction: $9k
    - Luggage: $5k

TOTAL spent = ~$233k

So, I've spent roughly $233k, which is now worth let's say around $100k (haven't looked at the market lately, but I'll make that assumption here). Had I invested the original $191k, it would be worth $296k today - PLUS, let's just say I stuffed the other money (insurance, gas, etc.) under a mattress with no gains, it would be another $42k. Grand total, I'd have $338k. Total opportunity cost? A whopping $238k. I've driven the R8 around 18,000 miles... price per mile ($238k / 18k miles) running around $13.22.

And THIS, the total opportunity cost, is the REAL reason that these are toys and not necessities. I joined the the R8 forum back in 2006 when I first heard the R8 was going to be a "thing" and fell wildly in love with it. But despite earning a very good income (and I could have rushed out and bought one), I essentially waited until I had a healthy 7-figure portfolio to my name, so I wouldn't cringe and hate myself if I did exactly this kind of math! The purchase price, alone, is highly deceptive, as is even the depreciation. It's the total opportunity cost which is the killer. You REALLY need to love these things to put up with it once you know the true cost!

All of that said, I knew the cost... I did the math (at least projections!) before I bought... and it's been worth the price. But, admittedly, I'm ONLY comfortable with it because I delayed the purchase until I felt that the opportunity cost would represent a relatively small impact when contrasted against actual investment gains elsewhere. Everyone needs to know where that inflection point is in their personal life. But, long rambling made short here - anyone considering ownership of something like this DOES need to calculate the full opportunity cost as part of an informed decision.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

Awesome man.
    Love it.

I’ve actually pattered my build off of a pic of your car on the track you posted forever ago.

Can’t hardly wait to get mine done.

~Joel
    Wow, that’s great... how about a pic of yours?

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234