62,000+ miles / 100,000+ Km 2010 R8 V10 MT

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 62,000+ miles / 100,000+ Km 2010 R8 V10 MT

62,000+ miles / 100,000+ Km 2010 R8 V10 MT

Alas, my beloved just passed the 62k miles threshold! Does anyone know the kind of issues I may be facing going forward? I'm especially concerned with engine issues or failures, and I'm wondering if tracking the car at this point is asking for trouble. I had the carbon deposits cleaned off the engine last year, the car is well maintained and runs very well... I already went through the typical issues (replaced magneride once, master and slave cylinders replaced, A/C compressor, cooling reservoir, oil temperature sensor, new battery, etc.).

How resilient is that V10 motor? Thanks for any advice.
    -------------------------
    2010 R8 V10 | Manual Transmission | Ibis White | GMG Exhaust

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

65k on mine and runs like a dream. Biggest issues I have fixed are just little oil leaks from rubber orings drying out. More specifically oil pump shaft oring. Also did my valve cover gaskets, as my drivers side was seeping onto the exhaust causing some smoke.

Other than that, really nothing to speak of for the engine, seems to be quite reliable. There are quite a few gallardos and r8s with over a 100k. I think ballvice on here has over 90 or 95k on his.
    2012 R8 V10 6MT

Re: 62,000+ miles / 100,000+ Km 2010 R8 V10 MT

Quote Originally Posted by Mlaudisa View Post
    Alas, my beloved just passed the 62k miles threshold! Does anyone know the kind of issues I may be facing going forward? I'm especially concerned with engine issues or failures, and I'm wondering if tracking the car at this point is asking for trouble. I had the carbon deposits cleaned off the engine last year, the car is well maintained and runs very well... I already went through the typical issues (replaced magneride once, master and slave cylinders replaced, A/C compressor, cooling reservoir, oil temperature sensor, new battery, etc.).

How resilient is that V10 motor? Thanks for any advice.
    So the A/C compressor is still an issue even on the v10s?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Yes, had to replace my AC compressor around 48k miles, not cheap but engine doesn't have to come out like the V8.

Quote Originally Posted by Mlaudisa View Post
    Yes, had to replace my AC compressor around 48k miles, not cheap but engine doesn't have to come out like the V8.
    10-4. Did you have fidelity warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by mugello21 View Post
    10-4. Did you have fidelity warranty?
    I had an aftermarket warranty available in Canada, they covered it.

Engine doesn't have to come out anymore on V8s either, there is a new technique.

I think healthy aging just comes with preventative care. At least that's my game plan. I'm at 18k miles after 5 years, but I plan to keep the R8 indefinitely, so I do think quite a bit about the long term care of it.

I'm no expert here, but my assumption is that the engine will need to be periodically rebuilt - preferably before it has a catastrophic problem! I'd expect this interval to be vastly accelerated if the car is spending time on the track, where the stressed are considerably higher.

I had reached out to Ricky a few months back inquiring about some of this preventative maintenance - his advice, at least at 5 years, included replacing some hoses, the battery, etc. I get the impression that manufacturers do their best to balance "proactive" and "reactive" maintenance as not to scare buyers with giant / costly maintenance schedules, while also expecting that original owners won't be paying much attention once 5+ years rolls by.

How often should you rebuild the V10? I don't know - but I do believe that the LMS engines have a regular rebuild schedule (can't remember what it is now, though, as I read it some time ago!).

Maybe consider sitting down with your R8 tech and going over the car. Keeping it running like a top, if that's the goal, will likely just involve a LOT more preventative maintenance. Most people cringe at the idea of replacing parts that appear to still be working, but this will be my approach nonetheless. It's an investment to keep a car running like new, but I want the R8 to feel, drive, and perform "like new" over the years. Letting stuff naturally deteriorate then results in major restoration projects and a highly unreliable car.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

Love seeing high km V10's. Makes me not afraid to drive mine as well
    2010 Audi R8 V10 6MT | Ibis White

Quote Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
    I think healthy aging just comes with preventative care. At least that's my game plan. I'm at 18k miles after 5 years, but I plan to keep the R8 indefinitely, so I do think quite a bit about the long term care of it.

I'm no expert here, but my assumption is that the engine will need to be periodically rebuilt - preferably before it has a catastrophic problem! I'd expect this interval to be vastly accelerated if the car is spending time on the track, where the stressed are considerably higher.

I had reached out to Ricky a few months back inquiring about some of this preventative maintenance - his advice, at least at 5 years, included replacing some hoses, the battery, etc. I get the impression that manufacturers do their best to balance "proactive" and "reactive" maintenance as not to scare buyers with giant / costly maintenance schedules, while also expecting that original owners won't be paying much attention once 5+ years rolls by.

How often should you rebuild the V10? I don't know - but I do believe that the LMS engines have a regular rebuild schedule (can't remember what it is now, though, as I read it some time ago!).

Maybe consider sitting down with your R8 tech and going over the car. Keeping it running like a top, if that's the goal, will likely just involve a LOT more preventative maintenance. Most people cringe at the idea of replacing parts that appear to still be working, but this will be my approach nonetheless. It's an investment to keep a car running like new, but I want the R8 to feel, drive, and perform "like new" over the years. Letting stuff naturally deteriorate then results in major restoration projects and a highly unreliable car.
    Good advice Ezmass, I will plan a chat with my mechanic and see what they say from a preventative perspective.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast