Problems with VF750 Supercharger check engine codes and performance

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with VF750 Supercharger check engine codes and performance

Problems with VF750 Supercharger check engine codes and performance

I had a VF Engineering Eaton Roots VF750 supercharger and APR tune and Capristo exhaust installed on my 2014 Audi R8 V10 Plus in 2017. I’ve had problems with check engine codes since day one. On the drag strip I’m getting engine misfires, codes, and engine sputtering (still accelerating but less smoothly), from the 170-200km/hr zone. This is affecting my quarter mile times. The most recent code was for an oxygen sensor in Bank one and Cylinder 8 and 10 misfires at 175 km/hr. I’ve now had about 3 oxygen sensors replaced. I took it back to ZR Auto to have them look into the issue and they went back and forth with VF to try to solve this issue last summer. They moved the fuel intake line to a different location in the gas tank to try to fix. Seemed ok at first, but quickly problem recurred. Originally my mechanic said they never put in the Hitachi high flow fuel injectors that come with this kit because he was told by VF that this Plus model car didn’t need them. Could it be that the oxygen sensor code and misfires are simply a symptom of the lack of enough fuel at this speed and the fact that they never installed those injectors? Or is it more likely a mapping/tuning issue. This last time the code came up I took it to the Audi dealer here in Edmonton and he simply replaced that sensor. It still is sputtering at that speed and now the check engine light flickers on and off multiple times during that speed range, then comes on flashing for a few seconds, then disappears. I’m at a loss here because the car drives fine at all other speeds. Strong acceraltion up till that zone, then strong again after 200 km/hr. The Audi tech says he’s reluctant to start throwing parts at it like new wiring to the ECU or a new ECU... my quarter mile times have only improved from 11.7 sec to 11.4 as my best. This supercharger kit was supposed to get me to 11.0 sec and it feels like it will if I can resolve this issue. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Problems with VF750 Supercharger check engine codes and performance

Why fit a VF piece of kit and then go with an APR tune? doesn't VF supply an ECU tune for their supercharger?
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

Sorry, yes, VF did the tune for this supercharger. They supplied the whole kit except they told ZR Auto that they didn’t need the Hitachi high flow injectors that come with this kit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I have a VF 750 also and it’s rock solid. It has VF tuning. I want to make more power but nervous to mess up how perfect it runs now. Why use APR?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problems with VF750 Supercharger check engine codes and performance-ebe57473-3bbd-4b33-9815-50c1f81526d9_1562427138460.jpg  

Sounds like fuel starvation, did you upgrade the mechanical HP engine driven fuel pumps? it's recommended for V8 supercharger installation (different animal I know).
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

I know some of the supercharger kits don't need the upgraded fuel injectors. With you burning through o2 sensors I would probably replace the fuel injectors and stick a boroscope into the engine to check for carbon build up. Most likely just dirty from some bad gas somewhere down the line.

I seem to recall them thinking about putting in a bigger fuel pump, but I believe they just put in a different intake hose into the gas tank instead.

The car is due for new spark plugs at 50000km. It only has 27,500 now. Maybe that would help too? Thanks for the input.

It was VF supercharger and tune. I was trying to remember the name of tune, but I thought it was called APR thru VF ? VF did the whole kit and tune. Is your car an R-tronic or S-tronic ? Did they install the high flow Hitachi fuel injectors in your car? What are your quarter mile times now? Thanks.

It seems like you have a fuel issue. I believe the spark plugs come with the vf kits. I can ask when I drop my car off Monday for install.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast