R-TRONIC and manual + sport mode - Page 2


  1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

    Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!
     
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: R-TRONIC and manual + sport mode

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    31

    Re: R-TRONIC and manual + sport mode

    Quote Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post



    The magnetic ride won't be affected by the Sport program. To firm up the suspension, you'll need to separately activate the magnetic ride through the console button (looks like a little shock icon). It's actually nice that the two aren't connected, since I do prefer to drive in Sport but don't prefer the stiffer suspension for most roads.
    Just my humour .. My car is 6speed manual. My only "Sport Mode" is the mag ride button. But I do, as I said, seem to change gears quicker :-)

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    59

    Re: R-TRONIC and manual + sport mode

    I'll second that it opens the exhaust. When I first got the car I was concerned why it was so quite, then I figured out that sport makes it sound awesome. A true exotic car sound.

    I now only drive it in manual sport mode. The best combination!

    Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

  4. #13
    Senior Member NZV10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    107

    Re: R-TRONIC and manual + sport mode

    Quote Originally Posted by JON.R8.UK View Post
    Mag ride firms up, and I tend to be a bit quicker with the gear changes :-D
    Mag ride doesn’t change with sport mode. Mag ride has a separate button.
    2010 R8 V10 Daytona Grey R-tronic
    2011 S5 V8 Quartz Grey Tiptronic, sports differential

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    31

    Re: R-TRONIC and manual + sport mode

    Quote Originally Posted by NZV10 View Post
    Mag ride doesn’t change with sport mode. Mag ride has a separate button.
    It's a manual gearbox, it doesn't have a sport mode.

  7. #15
    Senior Member swansailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Los Gatos, CA
    Posts
    888

    Re: R-TRONIC and manual + sport mode

    To clarify (based on owning and tracking a 2008 R-Tronic for the last 11 years and always driving in "Manual" mode):

    The R-Tronic Sport manual mode DOES:
    - Speed up the gear changes (so they may "feel" more abrupt)
    - Disable the automatic upshift in manual mode when the rev limit is reached; in "normal" mode it will upshift itself when the rev limit is reached and in Sport mode it will just bounce on the limit (by interrupting energy to the spark plugs). I don't know what it does in "auto" mode because I never use it.
    - Use a different mapping to give a sharper throttle response on acceleration

    It does NOT:
    - Change the mag-ride/suspension settings (there is another button to change to a much firmer response that if your vehicle has mag-ride)
    - "Introduce" rev-matching because that is present in BOTH modes; it sounds louder with the faster gear shift in S mode
    - Change the exhaust since there are no adjustments on the factory exhaust

  8. #16
    Senior Member ezmaass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    3,831

    Re: R-TRONIC and manual + sport mode

    Quote Originally Posted by swansailor View Post
    To clarify (based on owning and tracking a 2008 R-Tronic for the last 11 years and always driving in "Manual" mode):

    The R-Tronic Sport manual mode DOES:
    - Speed up the gear changes (so they may "feel" more abrupt)
    - Disable the automatic upshift in manual mode when the rev limit is reached; in "normal" mode it will upshift itself when the rev limit is reached and in Sport mode it will just bounce on the limit (by interrupting energy to the spark plugs). I don't know what it does in "auto" mode because I never use it.
    - Use a different mapping to give a sharper throttle response on acceleration

    It does NOT:
    - Change the mag-ride/suspension settings (there is another button to change to a much firmer response that if your vehicle has mag-ride)
    - "Introduce" rev-matching because that is present in BOTH modes; it sounds louder with the faster gear shift in S mode
    - Change the exhaust since there are no adjustments on the factory exhaust
    I don't have an R-Tronic, so no first hand experience here, but I'm curious about the last two items in your "does NOT" list because they don't appear consistent with my S-Tronic.

    When in Manual (or auto) + NON-Sport mode, the transmission doesn't appear to rev-match with throttle blip. It's not just a matter of it being quiet or loud, the tach simply doesn't jump up as it does in Sport mode (from throttle input on the downshift). Now, when in Manual (or auto) + Sport mode, there is a very obvious rev-match going on that includes a throttle blip. The revs jump up substantially on the downshift. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology to describe the difference? But in Sport mode, it appears to be mimicking a heel-toe whereas in non-Sport, it's not.

    There have also been times where I've been able to confuse the transmission, and if this happens, you won't get the rev-match/blip - it'll give you a non-Sport style shift even in Sport mode. This has only happened to me maybe a half dozen times during ownership, but I *believe* it happens when the DCT believes your next gear will be UP but you select DOWN. There's a long pause followed by a normal downshift (no rev-match/throttle blip). It's hard to duplicate, but imagine accelerating slightly in a higher gear and then deciding you want a lower gear to really accelerate harder... most of the time if this occurs, it's fine, but there must be a gray zone where the DCT is thinking next gear is UP so it needs to re-queue the lower gear and does so uneventfully.

    Regarding the exhaust, again, I can't comment on anything other than my car, but mine certainly opens/closes the exhaust valves based upon whether Sport is selected or not. It's a very audible difference at idle - especially setting off from the garage... as soon as I hit the Sport button, things instantly get louder. It's the Sport Exhaust that was offered on the 2015 models.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

    -- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5


    Hidden Content

  9. #17
    Senior Member NZV10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    107

    Re: R-TRONIC and manual + sport mode

    Sport mode in the S-tronic has different effects to that in the R-tronic. As for the exhaust, the original R8’s valves respond to vacuum only, and so sport mode makes no difference to the sound, other than the possibility of a slightly different vacuum profile based on throttle response.
    2010 R8 V10 Daytona Grey R-tronic
    2011 S5 V8 Quartz Grey Tiptronic, sports differential

  10. #18
    Senior Member ezmaass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    3,831

    Re: R-TRONIC and manual + sport mode

    Quote Originally Posted by NZV10 View Post
    Sport mode in the S-tronic has different effects to that in the R-tronic. As for the exhaust, the original R8’s valves respond to vacuum only, and so sport mode makes no difference to the sound, other than the possibility of a slightly different vacuum profile based on throttle response.
    OK, interesting. I'd be curious to see a video of an R-Tronic downshifting in non-Sport and then downshifting in Sport. When I get the chance, I'm also happy to video what mine does with S-Tronic, as well. In S-Tronic, the Sport mode downshift appears to be mimicking a heel-toe shift, with an exaggerated throttle blip/input. Whereas, the non-Sport downshift just uneventfully moves to the lower gear and there's immediate transmission-braking felt.

    Do you know when the exhaust may have changed? Again, I have no first-hand experience other than my own. In mine, if sitting at idle, the exhaust sound pretty much doubles the moment I press the Sport button - so my assumption is that a valve is being opened. During non-Sport driving, even at significant throttle input, the exhaust is noticeably quieter. When the Sport mode is engaged, the exhaust note is louder in all throttle and RPM ranges. Again, to make matters potentially more complex, mine is the Sport Exhaust that was offered in 2015, so I'm not sure what may be technically different (if anything) in that operation.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

    -- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5


    Hidden Content

  11. #19
    Member fastspek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    70

    Re: R-TRONIC and manual + sport mode

    Quote Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
    I don't have an R-Tronic, so no first hand experience here, but I'm curious about the last two items in your "does NOT" list because they don't appear consistent with my S-Tronic.

    When in Manual (or auto) + NON-Sport mode, the transmission doesn't appear to rev-match with throttle blip. It's not just a matter of it being quiet or loud, the tach simply doesn't jump up as it does in Sport mode (from throttle input on the downshift). Now, when in Manual (or auto) + Sport mode, there is a very obvious rev-match going on that includes a throttle blip. The revs jump up substantially on the downshift. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology to describe the difference? But in Sport mode, it appears to be mimicking a heel-toe whereas in non-Sport, it's not.

    There have also been times where I've been able to confuse the transmission, and if this happens, you won't get the rev-match/blip - it'll give you a non-Sport style shift even in Sport mode. This has only happened to me maybe a half dozen times during ownership, but I *believe* it happens when the DCT believes your next gear will be UP but you select DOWN. There's a long pause followed by a normal downshift (no rev-match/throttle blip). It's hard to duplicate, but imagine accelerating slightly in a higher gear and then deciding you want a lower gear to really accelerate harder... most of the time if this occurs, it's fine, but there must be a gray zone where the DCT is thinking next gear is UP so it needs to re-queue the lower gear and does so uneventfully.

    Regarding the exhaust, again, I can't comment on anything other than my car, but mine certainly opens/closes the exhaust valves based upon whether Sport is selected or not. It's a very audible difference at idle - especially setting off from the garage... as soon as I hit the Sport button, things instantly get louder. It's the Sport Exhaust that was offered on the 2015 models.
    I completely agree with your statement havig the same engine and S-Tronic gearbox:
    Exhaust sound much louder in sport mode, automatic rev-match only in sport mode. Or could it be that I have a sport exhaust without knowing it being the second owner?
    Last edited by fastspek; 07-18-2019 at 10:55 AM.
    2013 Audi R8 V10 Spyder S tronic
    2013 Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI quattro 225 hp S tronic
    2000 Audi TT 1.8 turbo quattro 225 hp 6 speed manual
    1993 Audi cabriolet 2.3 130 hp 5 speed manual

    2003 Honda VTX 1800c
    2002 HD FLSTF Fat Boy

  12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0