2010 V8 6MT stuck in 1st gear...thoughts ?? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 V8 6MT stuck in 1st gear...thoughts ??

Re: 2010 V8 6MT stuck in 1st gear...thoughts ??

Quote Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
    Grateful for everyone's replies thus far. It has been helpful.

I took the cables off and was able to move the left linkage into neutral and can now push the car freely.

While driving home, despite not being able to shift out of first, I could engage the clutch to drop revs and coast...then start over again. The clutch has plenty of tension, does not go soft and maintains its normal engagement point.

I've been texting with an Audi Tech at the Richmond Dealer this weekend who has been awesome to work with ( thanks Brock !! ) and will have the car delivered to him this week.

I've checked brake and transmission fluids this morning. Levels are normal and no apparent leaks.
    Brock is the man. I have been looking to connect with you. I am in richmond as well. Going to shoot you a PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

It's been determined the Gear Shift ( Bowden ) Cables #420-711-874-B need to be replaced.

Apparently, no one has the part Stateside so 7-10 day delivery from Germany. $1700 repair.

While this seems high, having a Master R8 Tech available to talk to and text with during the weekends and at night has significant value to me. I'll gladly pay the bill without bicker and be grateful it wasn't a $6k clutch or worse a new gearbox.

My thanks to the forum for diagnosis help. Truly a great group we have here.
    2010 Phantom Black Pearl. V8 6MTHidden Content

A good result and not toooooo expensive for you, and you'll soon be back on the road.

As an aside ECS Tuning sell this cable for $388.94 and ship in 1 day.

BOWDENCABL
    Be the first to leave a review
    |
    Q&A

Mfg Part #
    420711874B

420 711 874 B
    ECS Part #
    ES#353208
    Brand
    Genuine Volkswagen Audi

$434.00 (10% off MSRP)
    or as low as $34.23/mo with
    Ships in 1 day
    Qty
    Last edited by DaveL; 07-18-2019 at 05:48 AM.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Hey Dave...yeah, we saw this and called....." it ships in one day "...from Germany. They don't have it in stock. Dealer also indicated if we source the part elsewhere we lose the 12 month warranty on it.
    2010 Phantom Black Pearl. V8 6MTHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
    Hey Dave...yeah, we saw this and called....." it ships in one day "...from Germany. They don't have it in stock. Dealer also indicated if we source the part elsewhere we lose the 12 month warranty on it.
    Then it's a no-brainer, go with OEM, good luck.

Not too bad - could have been significantly worse, but this diagnosis makes sense based upon what you shared.

You'll be back up and running soon!
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

Hat Trick, your posts on this matter are appreciated and very welcomed. While its always disappointing to read of a fellow forum member having issues with their car its critically important that its shared with other members so we can learn. Your R8 is one of the high mileage award winners on this forum so you are in many ways blazing the way for so many of us. I just wanted you to know I learned something from you over the course of this thread and again, appreciate the fact you indicated the symptoms, problem and then cure. Thanks.

Hopefully you'll be back out on the road and adding many more trouble free miles to your car.

Quote Originally Posted by James88 View Post
    Hat Trick, your posts on this matter are appreciated and very welcomed. While its always disappointing to read of a fellow forum member having issues with their car its critically important that its shared with other members so we can learn. Your R8 is one of the high mileage award winners on this forum so you are in many ways blazing the way for so many of us. I just wanted you to know I learned something from you over the course of this thread and again, appreciate the fact you indicated the symptoms, problem and then cure. Thanks.

Hopefully you'll be back out on the road and adding many more trouble free miles to your car.
    Great comment James, liked it very much.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12