Opinion - Page 3

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinion

Re: Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Trev450 View Post
    looking good Dave.
    Thanks Trev, but I must get someone with a decent camera to take some shots, the carbon fibre pieces on the rear end don't show up very well.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GT#298 View Post
    The GT OEM CF wing weighs less than the dynamic spoiler and mechanism. That's why there is no dynamic spoiler on the Superleggera GT's.

I have no intention to. I was trying to point out that my bone-stock wing looks very at-home on mine. One of the reasons I got a GT, is because it has all the aero stuff and weight savings others have done to theirs, but it's all stock. I actually had a guy tell me one time that he didn't like it and I shouldn't have put a wing on an R8, for the same reasons mentioned above. When I told him it was all stock, he looked like a deer in the headlights.
    I still think it looks a little afterthought-ish. I am 100% with the guys who feel the gen 1 looks best with uninterrupted lines.
    Current: 12' R8 CF/Daytona V10 6MT
    ~VF/Hex tune~Avior Non-res~Reid intake tubes~10mm Spulen spacers~CF S-wheel~
    ~OEM euro side mirrors~Blendmount/iXc~Xpel'd~Gated 6MT~No questions asked~

Past:
    09' Daytona/CF R8 V8 6MT
    08' Daytona/Ti RS4 (dearly missed)
    05.5' Dolphin S4

Quote Originally Posted by GT#298 View Post
    The GT OEM CF wing weighs less than the dynamic spoiler and mechanism. That's why there is no dynamic spoiler on the Superleggera GT's.

I have no intention to. I was trying to point out that my bone-stock wing looks very at-home on mine. One of the reasons I got a GT, is because it has all the aero stuff and weight savings others have done to theirs, but it's all stock. I actually had a guy tell me one time that he didn't like it and I shouldn't have put a wing on an R8, for the same reasons mentioned above. When I told him it was all stock, he looked like a deer in the headlights.

I'm quite familiar with the GT so I know what it has and your car looks perfect the way it is as I have said and never did I make a comment about removal of any spoilers. it was a general statement when I said that the gen 1 doesn't need it but obviously if its factory then let it be. the way I look at things, people have different tastes so there will be different setups but the most important thing is that the owner is happy with his baby. he could have ebay spoilers and 23" dub wheels but if that person likes it then good for him. just a general statement and not intended for you from the get go...
    '11 AUDI S4 (manual)
    '08 AUDI R8 (manual)
    '07 AUDI S8
    '01 AUDI S8
    '92 AUDI urS4 (manual)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    What could look better than this rear end? it's perfection IMHO

Attachment 237814

dave...I love your car. I've always been a fan of euro spec cars especially right hand drives. I'm digging the euro plate bracket...obviously yours is euro. I'm not liking our US plates since it's short and we obviously have a bulky plastic bracket on ours.
    '11 AUDI S4 (manual)
    '08 AUDI R8 (manual)
    '07 AUDI S8
    '01 AUDI S8
    '92 AUDI urS4 (manual)

Quote Originally Posted by NZV10 View Post
    Unless a wing is original fit, I would avoid disrupting the lines of the Gen 1. Besides, a fixed wing will only add weight, and the car already has a moveable wing.
    I can see both thoughts on the matter.
    The Gen1 lines are beautiful. Both wingless, with the GT/Plus wing, and with and LMS style wing.

The choice is yours. Make the car yours. Don’t worry about what others think.

As far as the weight goes, it depends on how you do it. If you do it right, and remove the rear spoiler and take the wing mechanism out, and replace with the fixed rear GT/LMS/Plus base, with the wing, then it’s likely lighter, and with more downforce.

The APR wings weigh next to nothing.

Just make the car your own.

Quote Originally Posted by audiction View Post
    dave...I love your car. I've always been a fan of euro spec cars especially right hand drives. I'm digging the euro plate bracket...obviously yours is euro. I'm not liking our US plates since it's short and we obviously have a bulky plastic bracket on ours.
    Thank you for theses kind words, yes it's euro spec. and imported to Brasil direct, but there is no bracket for the plate ! it's stuck on with double sided tape would you believe.

Thank you for theses kind words, yes it's euro spec. and imported to Brasil direct, but there is no bracket for the plate ! it's stuck on with double sided tape would you believe.

oh double sided tape? that's what I do here in the US to install my euro plates.
    '11 AUDI S4 (manual)
    '08 AUDI R8 (manual)
    '07 AUDI S8
    '01 AUDI S8
    '92 AUDI urS4 (manual)

What could look better than this rear end? it's perfection IMHO

Attachment 237814
    Dave,
    after market rear diffuser or OEM?

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajsherrill View Post
    Dave,
    after market rear diffuser or OEM?

AJ
    AJ, it's a JSK Racing GT style carbon fibre diffuser.

Opinion-rear-diffuser.jpg
    Last edited by DaveL; 07-17-2019 at 08:47 AM.

For me it's a question of purpose: I'm in the camp of form following function, so that a wing intended to provide additional downforce and resulting stability is preferable to one designed for aesthetic value only. For example, I find it annoying when a car designer adds details that are not functional, such as the three small air inlets beneath the frunk in the gen 3 R8, which are meant to recall the legendary Quattro car's cooling ducts, but are totally "fake". That said, I can appreciate that the McLaren Senna, while totally functional, is considered by many as plain ugly.

Clearly, the magic happens when you get both: form AND function. In my case, I added an APR wing which is questionable aesthetically to some/many, yet very functional on track by providing increased stability beyond the factory retractable spoiler. Ultimately, it's a matter of personal taste, but I tend to be more accepting of questionable details added to fulfill an actual purpose Vs those that are there only for looks.
    -------------------------
    2010 R8 V10 | Manual Transmission | Ibis White | GMG Exhaust

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast