Magnetic Ride: Clarification - Page 2

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magnetic Ride: Clarification

Re: Magnetic Ride: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderingmind83 View Post
    That's exactly what I'd like to improve, certain kinds of corner I currently feel more comfortable doing in an E46 and I know that's not right!
    Sounds like PS4S is the next change then, what I have been experiencing is not to do with dampers which is very much a good thing
    In terms of tyre pressure I'm feeling like they are maybe too pumped at the moment, perhaps making it feel more sketchy cornering at speed.. It's strange it sometimes feels like the back end is lighter than the front even though the engine is back there..
    Once you've lost your confidence in a set of tyres it never comes back (ask any motorcyclist), a change to PS4S will restore your confidence after fitting/alignment and got the tyre pressure to your liking (recommended pressures seem very high).
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

But what I noticed was on this run the suspension was with sports mode off, but it had clearly tightened up due to the speed - this was working fine in some regards but obviously can't react well to uneven road, so there were times on that run where it felt suspension was actually reducing performance by changing.
    ?
    There seems to be common confusion about sports mode and suspension. There is no link at all between the two. Sports mode effects throttle response and gear changes only. The only thing that controls suspension settings is the suspension button, and the continuously variable element of mag ride itself.
    Last edited by NZV10; 07-17-2019 at 11:51 PM.
    2010 R8 V10 Daytona Grey R-tronic
    2011 S5 V8 Quartz Grey Tiptronic, sports differential

Quote Originally Posted by NZV10 View Post
    There seems to be common confusion about sports mode and suspension. There is no link at all between the two. Sports mode effects throttle response and gear changes only. The only thing that controls suspension settings is the suspension button, and the continuously variable element of mag ride itself.
    I have a manual...

But when I press the mag ride button
    It says on the dash:
    'SPORTS MODE ON!'
    Press it again
    'SPORTS MODE OFF!''

So I meant sports mode / mag ride settings not the other kind of sports mode..

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
    V8 | Stage 1 Remap | Daytona Grey Body & Blades | Manual 6 | Valved Capristo Exhaust | Extended Leather | B&O
    Bristol UK

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I have a manual...

It says on the dash:
    'SPORTS MODE ON!'
    Press it again
    'SPORTS MODE OFF!''

To be fair, Audi uses the term "Sport Mode" in various ways, themselves, throughout the manual. They do so in relation to three settings, in particular, all of which are independently activated.

- Sport Mode (Transmission): For owners of R or S-Tronic transmissions, this is activated by pressing the "Sport" button on the transmission selector surround plate. It changes the way gears are held (auto mode), shift times, throttle response, rev-matching, and exhaust valves. Swansailor recently commented that he didn't believe the last two were affected on his 2008 R-Tronic; however, many of us, myself included, appear to have this behavior included. The manual makes no reference to them (that I can see), but they're easy enough to witness.

- Sport Mode (ESC): Audi references an ESC-reduced mode (allowing for some wheel spin/slip) ALSO as Sport Mode, which is also required for launch control.

- Sport Mode (Magnetic Ride): Audi refers to the stiffer magnetic ride setting as "Sport Mode" in the manual, as well.

It would probably have made sense for Audi to get their nomenclature and terms straight. MOST members on this forum refer to Sport Mode when speaking about the transmission related settings (probably because the button is actually labelled "Sport"; however, the ESC and Magnetic Ride settings arguably use the same term... making it all very confusing.

To be clear, however, these three systems, although called the same thing, each have independent buttons to activate them.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

I've had the car into the 150's at the track and do not remember the car feeling unstable. It was also probably at that speed for up to 15 seconds and not minutes, like you may have experienced on the highway. I've had both the stock Pirellis and Mich PS4S, which are on the car now. The Pirellis felt OK, but I do prefer the Mich handling in Wet or Dry situations.
    2014 v10, S-Tronic, Phantom Black Pearl, GMG Racing CF Wing,
    PedalBox, Tubi Rumore Exhaust, VF750 SC
    2014 Audi Q5 TDI

Previous:
    2005 Dodge Viper, SC
    1969 Pro Street Camaro BB 572ci
    1969 Alky Injected Camaro Race Car BB 522ci
    1971 Z28 original

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieNJ View Post
    I've had the car into the 150's at the track and do not remember the car feeling unstable. It was also probably at that speed for up to 15 seconds and not minutes, like you may have experienced on the highway..
    Exactly that, I hit 160 and stayed there for perhaps 4 seconds before backing off quickly. Every movement of the wheel is emphasised so much, it is not a speed I could confidently sustain for much longer. It's such a strange sensation coming back down to 110mph, it feels like you're going so slowly - really weird!
    That speed test was on a totally straight road, and actually, it wasn't on that run that it felt unstable.
    It's been on other runs let's say around 130mph but where there is a slow long bend in the road - as soon as the car starts to move away from wheels dead straight ahead, this is when it starts to feel a bit unstable and light on the road I have found.
    V8 | Stage 1 Remap | Daytona Grey Body & Blades | Manual 6 | Valved Capristo Exhaust | Extended Leather | B&O
    Bristol UK

Quote Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
    I have a manual...

It says on the dash:
    'SPORTS MODE ON!'
    Press it again
    'SPORTS MODE OFF!''

To be fair, Audi uses the term "Sport Mode" in various ways, themselves, throughout the manual. They do so in relation to three settings, in particular, all of which are independently activated.

- Sport Mode (Transmission): For owners of R or S-Tronic transmissions, this is activated by pressing the "Sport" button on the transmission selector surround plate. It changes the way gears are held (auto mode), shift times, throttle response, rev-matching, and exhaust valves. Swansailor recently commented that he didn't believe the last two were affected on his 2008 R-Tronic; however, many of us, myself included, appear to have this behavior included. The manual makes no reference to them (that I can see), but they're easy enough to witness.

- Sport Mode (ESC): Audi references an ESC-reduced mode (allowing for some wheel spin/slip) ALSO as Sport Mode, which is also required for launch control.

- Sport Mode (Magnetic Ride): Audi refers to the stiffer magnetic ride setting as "Sport Mode" in the manual, as well.

It would probably have made sense for Audi to get their nomenclature and terms straight. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.r8talk.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] MOST members on this forum refer to Sport Mode when speaking about the transmission related settings (probably because the button is actually labelled "Sport"; however, the ESC and Magnetic Ride settings arguably use the same term... making it all very confusing. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.r8talk.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

To be clear, however, these three systems, although called the same thing, each have independent buttons to activate them.
    I’m assuming for 6MT owners there’s no way to change throttle response since we don’t have a sport mode/transmission button. The other items are null for us obviously.

I plan on putting a race chip on mine here soon for that actually!

On a straight flat road is pilot sport 4s is ok but the random bump will make you back down. I went 170 for a stretch late at night in Houston till I backed off when the road got bumpy. I've never experienced the Pirelli's but I can speak about the Bridgestone RE's when warm and dry the grip seemed better in a turn, ride was definitely stiffer and way more fun when cold and dry letting the tail end out a little bit. Although dangerous as hell when any amount of wetness was involved. I got rid of them right before they needed to be replaced but one dangerous event is enough. PS4S is the best all around tire though. Just wish they had a stiffer side wall.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12