Magnetic Ride: Clarification

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic Ride: Clarification

Magnetic Ride: Clarification

A little while back I recall there was a discussion as to whether Magnetic Ride was a constantly variable system. My understanding was that it was, but I didn't get around to checking this again until recently. And the answer is: yes, it is constantly adjusting based on the driving inputs/situation.

The manual provides an example of this - saying that if the stiffness is set to the comfort mode, the system may choose to periodically increase stiffness during maneuvers such as cornering and braking: "damping is set somewhat harder for a brief period only as required, when rounding a curve and when braking." It also describes "imperceptible control processes" that can provide "individual modulation" to the dampers. So, while not a lot of information is provided (not a surprise - I don't expect they'll detail all of the programming in the owner's manual), it's clear that the system DOES, in fact, use variable damping even within a stiffness mode based upon analysis of the driving situation.

So, hopefully this clears up any confusion - you can select specific stiffness modes (comfort or sport) through the suspension button on the console, but even within those settings, the system will constantly be "individually modulating" the dampers based upon what it thinks needs to be done.

I know we often complain about the costs of magnetic ride (if the dampers fails), but it is quite a nice system, and I'm glad Audi included it.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Great info as always Ez

I’ve always assumed it was just magnets off normally, and magnets on and fluid lined up for stiffer rebound when you press the button to light up.

It’s good to know that it’s variable damping all of the time. And that turning it in dies the same, but stiffer (sport setting I’m assuming).

It’s odd because with the manual trans, we don’t have a sport button like the rest of you. It’s just shocks normal or shocks stiffer.

Re: Magnetic Ride: Clarification

I thought this might be the case as with sport mode off there have been times when it feels stiffer than others.

Actually not always in a good way... I was driving down a fast A-road in Wales last weekend when I see a young lad in a vauxhall swing out behind me.. creeping up behind me, I think 'fine, if you want to dance, let's dance'... I drop it down a cog and eat up some road... much to my surprise he pretty much makes up the distance! I'm scratching my head a bit... put my foot down more, we're both doing 130mph and he's keeping up! I slow down and pull in later letting him pass after our bit of fun and it was a VXr8.. not seen one before, but dang they are quick vauxhalls!

But what I noticed was on this run the suspension was with sports mode off, but it had clearly tightened up due to the speed - this was working fine in some regards but obviously can't react well to uneven road, so there were times on that run where it felt suspension was actually reducing performance by changing.

PS
    For my sins I found a dead quiet A road later on in the night and managed to get the car up to 160mph. Totally exhilarating, but terrifying too, I'm not sure how soon I'll be doing it again. I found the R8 to feel quite squirrely and flighty at speeds above 130, does anybody else find this? Does changing from Pirelli to Michelin tyres help with this a bit?
    V8 | Stage 1 Remap | Daytona Grey Body & Blades | Manual 6 | Valved Capristo Exhaust | Extended Leather | B&O
    Bristol UK

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderingmind83 View Post
    . I found the R8 to feel quite squirrely and flighty at speeds above 130, does anybody else find this? Does changing from Pirelli to Michelin tyres help with this a bit?
    A change to Michelin PS4S should be a priority above all else.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    A change to Michelin PS4S should be a priority above all else.
    Right... ok. Still have virtually new P Zero's all round. But after the trip to germany and perhaps a few laps of castle coombe they will be in a different state!

Did you ever have tyres other than the PS4S on yours? If so what were the noticeable differences?
    I was always led to believe the P zero tyres are good.. been very interesting to learn otherwise! Or maybe they just aren't right for the R8 for some reason.
    V8 | Stage 1 Remap | Daytona Grey Body & Blades | Manual 6 | Valved Capristo Exhaust | Extended Leather | B&O
    Bristol UK

I thought this might be the case as with sport mode off there have been times when it feels stiffer than others.

Actually not always in a good way... I was driving down a fast A-road in Wales last weekend when I see a young lad in a vauxhall swing out behind me.. creeping up behind me, I think 'fine, if you want to dance, let's dance'... I drop it down a cog and eat up some road... much to my surprise he pretty much makes up the distance! I'm scratching my head a bit... put my foot down more, we're both doing 130kph and he's keeping up! I slow down and pull in later letting him pass after our bit of fun and it was a VXr8.. not seen one before, but dang they are quick vauxhalls!

But what I noticed was on this run the suspension was with sports mode off, but it had clearly tightened up due to the speed - this was working fine in some regards but obviously can't react well to uneven road, so there were times on that run where it felt suspension was actually reducing performance by changing.

PS
    For my sins I found a dead quiet A road later on in the night and managed to get the car up to 160kph. Totally exhilarating, but terrifying too, I'm not sure how soon I'll be doing it again. I found the R8 to feel quite squirrely and flighty at speeds above 130, does anybody else find this? Does changing from Pirelli to Michelin tyres help with this a bit?
    You mean kph, right?

I felt my R8 got a bit floaty when in 3-figure territory... I wanted it to feel dead planted but it never felt that way to me.
    Ex-2008 Phantom Black 6MT V8 R8, now a Volvo Hidden Content

Although P Zeros are not the best, I wouldn't write them off entirely until you have had your steering geometry checked and also played around with tyre pressures. The former can be done by any competent alignment shop and as for the pressures, 36 psi all round from cold is a good starting point. I do however agree that PS4's are significantly better tyres, but only if the other factors mentioned are right.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

Right... ok. Still have virtually new P Zero's all round. But after the trip to germany and perhaps a few laps of castle coombe they will be in a different state!

Did you ever have tyres other than the PS4S on yours? If so what were the noticeable differences?
    I was always led to believe the P zero tyres are good.. been very interesting to learn otherwise! Or maybe they just aren't right for the R8 for some reason.
    First tyres were PZero's, noisy and lacking stability at speed and gave no confidence at speed in turns.
    Second were Michelin PSS, improved comfort and confidence at speed.
    Third are Michelin PS4S, even more comfort and confidence in all circumstances, but you need to find the best tyre pressure for your driving style.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

Quote Originally Posted by Markos View Post
    You mean kph, right?

I felt my R8 got a bit floaty when in 3-figure territory... I wanted it to feel dead planted but it never felt that way to me.
    Sorry meant to type mph. Clocked a top speed of 160 but anything above 130 feels pretty unstable, surprisingly so!
    Bristol UK

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    First tyres were PZero's, noisy and lacking stability at speed and gave no confidence at speed in turns.
    Second were Michelin PSS, improved comfort and confidence at speed.
    Third are Michelin PS4S, even more comfort and confidence in all circumstances, but you need to find the best tyre pressure for your driving style.
    That's exactly what I'd like to improve, certain kinds of corner I currently feel more comfortable doing in an E46 and I know that's not right!
    Sounds like PS4S is the next change then, what I have been experiencing is not to do with dampers which is very much a good thing
    In terms of tyre pressure I'm feeling like they are maybe too pumped at the moment, perhaps making it feel more sketchy cornering at speed.. It's strange it sometimes feels like the back end is lighter than the front even though the engine is back there..
    Bristol UK

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast