Audi R8 Forums banner

Magnetic Ride: Clarification

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  vpatel3473 
#1 ·
A little while back I recall there was a discussion as to whether Magnetic Ride was a constantly variable system. My understanding was that it was, but I didn't get around to checking this again until recently. And the answer is: yes, it is constantly adjusting based on the driving inputs/situation.

The manual provides an example of this - saying that if the stiffness is set to the comfort mode, the system may choose to periodically increase stiffness during maneuvers such as cornering and braking: "damping is set somewhat harder for a brief period only as required, when rounding a curve and when braking." It also describes "imperceptible control processes" that can provide "individual modulation" to the dampers. So, while not a lot of information is provided (not a surprise - I don't expect they'll detail all of the programming in the owner's manual), it's clear that the system DOES, in fact, use variable damping even within a stiffness mode based upon analysis of the driving situation.

So, hopefully this clears up any confusion - you can select specific stiffness modes (comfort or sport) through the suspension button on the console, but even within those settings, the system will constantly be "individually modulating" the dampers based upon what it thinks needs to be done.

I know we often complain about the costs of magnetic ride (if the dampers fails), but it is quite a nice system, and I'm glad Audi included it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great info as always Ez

I’ve always assumed it was just magnets off normally, and magnets on and fluid lined up for stiffer rebound when you press the button to light up.

It’s good to know that it’s variable damping all of the time. And that turning it in dies the same, but stiffer (sport setting I’m assuming).

It’s odd because with the manual trans, we don’t have a sport button like the rest of you. It’s just shocks normal or shocks stiffer.

#3 ·
I thought this might be the case as with sport mode off there have been times when it feels stiffer than others.

Actually not always in a good way... I was driving down a fast A-road in Wales last weekend when I see a young lad in a vauxhall swing out behind me.. creeping up behind me, I think 'fine, if you want to dance, let's dance'... I drop it down a cog and eat up some road... much to my surprise he pretty much makes up the distance! I'm scratching my head a bit... put my foot down more, we're both doing 130mph and he's keeping up! I slow down and pull in later letting him pass after our bit of fun and it was a VXr8.. not seen one before, but dang they are quick vauxhalls!

But what I noticed was on this run the suspension was with sports mode off, but it had clearly tightened up due to the speed - this was working fine in some regards but obviously can't react well to uneven road, so there were times on that run where it felt suspension was actually reducing performance by changing.

PS
For my sins I found a dead quiet A road later on in the night and managed to get the car up to 160mph. Totally exhilarating, but terrifying too, I'm not sure how soon I'll be doing it again. I found the R8 to feel quite squirrely and flighty at speeds above 130, does anybody else find this? Does changing from Pirelli to Michelin tyres help with this a bit?

#7 ·
Although P Zeros are not the best, I wouldn't write them off entirely until you have had your steering geometry checked and also played around with tyre pressures. The former can be done by any competent alignment shop and as for the pressures, 36 psi all round from cold is a good starting point. I do however agree that PS4's are significantly better tyres, but only if the other factors mentioned are right.

#15 ·
I've had the car into the 150's at the track and do not remember the car feeling unstable. It was also probably at that speed for up to 15 seconds and not minutes, like you may have experienced on the highway. I've had both the stock Pirellis and Mich PS4S, which are on the car now. The Pirellis felt OK, but I do prefer the Mich handling in Wet or Dry situations.

#16 ·
I've had the car into the 150's at the track and do not remember the car feeling unstable. It was also probably at that speed for up to 15 seconds and not minutes, like you may have experienced on the highway..
Exactly that, I hit 160 and stayed there for perhaps 4 seconds before backing off quickly. Every movement of the wheel is emphasised so much, it is not a speed I could confidently sustain for much longer. It's such a strange sensation coming back down to 110mph, it feels like you're going so slowly - really weird!
That speed test was on a totally straight road, and actually, it wasn't on that run that it felt unstable.
It's been on other runs let's say around 130mph but where there is a slow long bend in the road - as soon as the car starts to move away from wheels dead straight ahead, this is when it starts to feel a bit unstable and light on the road I have found.

#18 ·
On a straight flat road is pilot sport 4s is ok but the random bump will make you back down. I went 170 for a stretch late at night in Houston till I backed off when the road got bumpy. I've never experienced the Pirelli's but I can speak about the Bridgestone RE's when warm and dry the grip seemed better in a turn, ride was definitely stiffer and way more fun when cold and dry letting the tail end out a little bit. Although dangerous as hell when any amount of wetness was involved. I got rid of them right before they needed to be replaced but one dangerous event is enough. PS4S is the best all around tire though. Just wish they had a stiffer side wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.