Trunk Plastic cover how to remove it

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: Trunk Plastic cover how to remove it

Trunk Plastic cover how to remove it

Hello
    I need to remove the trunk to change the battery I could easily remove the 3 plastic parts on both sides and front one but the one under the front glass is impossible to move out,i took off the wipes and the gas shock try hard to pull out but I’m worrying to brake something if someone can explain how to manovre it for taking out or if there screws under it ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Trunk Plastic cover how to remove it

There are two bolts in the front that hold the tub down, but you have to remove that cowl piece first. It's held in place by a plastic lip that runs the full length of the windshield base. You'll want to go straight up with it very carefully to pop it loose.

I just started in one corner of the windscreen and peeled it up using a plastic trim tool
    Obviously make sure all the screws are out!
    There are no screws beneath it holding it down or anything hidden

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I just completed the exact same. Another piece of advice. After installing the AGM battery it will need to be coded using the VCDS/VAGCOM software. As much as I enjoyed saving $700 with a DIY, it truly was a pain in the ass and also needed to be connected to VAGCOM to ensure the job was completed properly. I am not sure what the consequence of not coding after the install, but fortunately had a friend with the computer and software to connect and input the product info of the new battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Wcclubchamp View Post
    I just completed the exact same. Another piece of advice. After installing the AGM battery it will need to be coded using the VCDS/VAGCOM software. As much as I enjoyed saving $700 with a DIY, it truly was a pain in the ass and also needed to be connected to VAGCOM to ensure the job was completed properly. I am not sure what the consequence of not coding after the install, but fortunately had a friend with the computer and software to connect and input the product info of the new battery.
    It enters the power capabilities of the new battery into the power management system, this shuts down non-essentials when the battery voltage levels drop if it is discharging e.g. when parked a long time.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

Thanks Dave! Do you know if this is catastrophic if not done 100% properly post install? I attached a photo of the old battery with BEM/QR code and the new Varta OEM AGM battery ($258) to show how different they are than the old ones. To the OP make sure to get this done after install in the DIY project.

Thankfully I am friends with my SA who informed me of this just in time as I was completing the install and putting the panels back onto the car. He helped connect to VAGCOM and entered the product code in and I HOPE it was done properly.

I am amazed that when I purchased the battery from Parts At Audi, they made no mention of post installation coding with VAGCOM. Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    It enters the power capabilities of the new battery into the power management system, this shuts down non-essentials when the battery voltage levels drop if it is discharging e.g. when parked a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post

I have VCDS and was prepared to do this after the swap, but I never had reason to. Everything worked fine right away, and all the dash lights went out after a short drive around the block and everything's been fine since then.

FWIW, the replacement battery was a direct match to the old one.
    Last edited by GT#298; 07-19-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Not essential, I didn't bother as my new battery type isn't listed.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements