Carbon Clean - Page 8

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Clean

Re: Carbon Clean

Hi

Inlet valve V10 Gen 2> Titan with engine identification DMWA

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky.REP View Post
    I think I’ll leave that there!

No point arguing.

I’ll recommend to my clients a walnut shell carbon clean and you keep recommending inlet valve replacement and port and polish job on the head.

Only about 20 times the cost. Lol

People who read this no my history and previous job role with Audi HQ.

Cheers Ricky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I knew you play this card instead of proofing an Audi R8 Development engeneer, Tom/RS4 and me wrong what in this case will fail. Saw the technical drawings (confidential), so 1000% sure now.
    You are undoubtful very knowledgeable but as I learned in sailing you never stop learning and can learn something new even from a newbee...any salt neck (sailor who sailed and lifed most of his life at sea) alive follows that or he/she is already dead=>summary of a resuce boat captain....

I just explained what can be done to reduce carbon build up. And if for any reason the head needs to come out/off it makes sense to do this mods additionally with polishing the intake walls and replacing the valves to V8 FL ones. Otherwise it makes no economical sense to do this, as I stated too and is logic too. Also important if someone buys a R8V8....

A walnut blast or other sufficent methods to remove carbon build up is always needed on V8 but not that often and keep all your 400+x horses longer alive.....

On the Gen2 the valves what you didn't want to publise are that they are out of titan and that they can be mounted with some slight modifications on the ring + Gen 2 springs etc. into any Gen1 engine V8 or V10.
    On V8 it first makes no sense economically as they are 150Euro per piece and 2nd titan has a very bad heat transfer rate which results the valve being colder and produce even more gunk/carbon build up.
    On Gen 2 the additional intake injected fuel cleans up the valve from on top, so burn off not needed but they are able reving higher....
    Last edited by Helldriver; 08-08-2019 at 07:06 AM.
    Notice: We guarantee fast service, no matter how long it takesHidden Content

Carbon Clean

Only one engine code is titanium intake valves (50 engines fitted in any R8 worldwide for GT3 homologation), very rare engine same as Performante.

So rare I’ve waited 32 weeks and counting for a set of valves and they are £109 each instead of £18.

The other difference is far more obvious.

I spend my days learning, I’m not some keyboard warrior. I build engines for some Audi centres in the UK as well as other R8 tuners worldwide. I have the most powerful V10 engines in Europe, Asia and Australia. This isn’t guess work mate!

I provided fact above as well as part numbers showing no change.

You have provided hearsay from friends.

Your mate changed his valves, ported his heads and presumably had a engine tune to work with all that.

If so, let’s see inlet cam target table and I’ll show you why he has less buildup!

This relates to one of my comments in my earlier post about early and late engine software versions from Audi regarding internal egr strategy!

Cheers Ricky

Last edited by Ricky.REP; 08-08-2019 at 07:13 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by APOLLOSKI View Post
    Def not a deal breaker. Unless I misread, Ricky stated its just a loss in power which can be resolved by getting the cleaning done. I would just budget ~$1-2k for it.
    Absolutely! Your bum dyno would struggle to show it up unless really bad.

By that point we can calculate estimated horsepower from measured air mass and even then for cost you would either use a camera to look at build up or just do it!

Cheers Ricky

One point which hasn’t been mentioned.

Here in the UK, a number of companies have popped up offering cheap “hydrogen cleans”.

If you’re tempted to get one of these done - don’t. Complete con.

Hi

The inlet valve with thin shaft is since 09/2010 in R8 V8 / V10 and in Gen 2 until today.

Part number 079.109.601.E Predecessor 079.109.601.B

Tom

Thanks all for your replies..

Can anyone give me an idea of how much this costs to get done? I have just under 50k on my 2012 v10 and I've run it out at COTA for the last 10k miles. The yellow check engine light just came on this morning as I was driving to work. No performance change noticed etc... but I've been warned by several people out at the track that around 50-60k is when you want to start thinking about getting the carbon cleaned out of the ports. I would like to get an idea of what others paid at a dealer to have it done before I take mine in to get a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky101 View Post
    Can anyone give me an idea of how much this costs to get done? I have just under 50k on my 2012 v10 and I've run it out at COTA for the last 10k miles. The yellow check engine light just came on this morning as I was driving to work. No performance change noticed etc... but I've been warned by several people out at the track that around 50-60k is when you want to start thinking about getting the carbon cleaned out of the ports. I would like to get an idea of what others paid at a dealer to have it done before I take mine in to get a quote.
    1200$ ish for V8's, 1400$ ish for v10's
    Current: 12' R8 CF/Daytona V10 6MT
    ~VF/Hex tune~Avior Non-res~Reid intake tubes~10mm Spulen spacers~CF S-wheel~
    ~OEM euro side mirrors~Blendmount/iXc~Xpel'd~Gated 6MT~No questions asked~

Past:
    09' Daytona/CF R8 V8 6MT
    08' Daytona/Ti RS4 (dearly missed)
    05.5' Dolphin S4

Thanks for the reply... are there any other fixes/tunes that generally make sense to get done at the same time?

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast