Carbon Clean

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon Clean

Carbon Clean

Debating on carbon clean as part of “proactive” approach to maintenance (14’ V8, 30.5k miles). Question though. Obviously “proactive” = warranty not going to cover.

IF the car were to start misfiring down the road, would a procedure such as Carbon Clean be covered by Fidelity Platinum? As opposed to doing it proactively? Just debating with 30.5k miles on the car and the prior owners being in the Bay Area (known for stop and go traffic and coastal salt in the air). Thanks all 🙏🏻

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Carbon Clean

I can't speak for the good ol' USA but not in a million years would that be covered in the UK and for it to get to the point of a misfire it would have been running under power for a long time
    I would just get it done and enjoy your car

I just brought my '14 V8 with 19K miles in for service and asked the tech about a carbon clean. He said its totally unnecessary right now. My car is located in the NY/NJ area with stop and go traffic as well.
    2014 Audi R8 V8 STRONIC - 2018 Audi Q7 - 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JK)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Good to know! Bank that cash for a ceramic coating to the exterior paint and wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by jakesmith View Post
    I can't speak for the good ol' USA but not in a million years would that be covered in the UK and for it to get to the point of a misfire it would have been running under power for a long time
    I would just get it done and enjoy your car
    Quote Originally Posted by GR8NJR8 View Post
    I just brought my '14 V8 with 19K miles in for service and asked the tech about a carbon clean. He said its totally unnecessary right now. My car is located in the NY/NJ area with stop and go traffic as well.

I'm booked in next week with Ricky for a walnut blasting carbon clean of the intake + new air filters + remap.
    Will report back with the results and hopefully some before and after photos of the ports. It's on 27k but as I understand it the FSI engines do pick up quite a bit of carbon quite quickly....
    V8 | Stage 1 Remap | Daytona Grey Body & Blades | Manual 6 | Valved Capristo Exhaust | Extended Leather | B&O
    Bristol UK

Please do! I am at 30.6k miles now on my 14’ V8, obviously balancing proactive vs reactive maintenance and cost to benefit of where to put cash into the car. I had heard that the remap in V8 generally seems not to bring in a good bang for the buck, HOWEVER like you contemplating the K&N airfilter. Possibly the combination will be best for the engine and bring noticeable performance/fuel efficiency improvements? Keep us all posted with your honest feedback after these updates!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderingmind83 View Post
    I'm booked in next week with Ricky for a walnut blasting carbon clean of the intake + new air filters + remap.
    Will report back with the results and hopefully some before and after photos of the ports. It's on 27k but as I understand it the FSI engines do pick up quite a bit of carbon quite quickly....

Quote Originally Posted by Wcclubchamp View Post
    Possibly the combination will be best for the engine and bring noticeable performance/fuel efficiency improvements?
    Fuel efficiency? If you care about fuel efficiency, Tesla would have been a better bet.
    2014 Audi R8 V8 STRONIC - 2018 Audi Q7 - 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JK)

Had mine cleaned at 35k, and although I asked for pictures and didn't get them, I was assured that it was dirty. ha!

I will say this once. You SHOULD get a carbon clean every 15-20K miles, regardless of how you drive, what kind of gas you use, fuel additives, etc. FSI motors WILL get caked up on the back of the valves and when it gets bad enough, you can risk misfires and even worse if a large, hard piece of carbon works its way into the chambers. I had my RS4 cleaned 4 times in my 80K miles of ownership, my V8 R8 done once (@30K, bought at 28K), and will do my current V10 by 18K miles.

IT WILL NOT be covered by any kind of warranty, and it is inevitable, and a necessary part of upkeep on these machines. Every 15-20K miles, maybe 25K miles max.

A fair shop should charge around 1200$ for a V8, and closer to 14-1500 for V10. 1500$ every 20K miles is chump change guys, we drive R8's....
    Current: 12' R8 CF/Daytona V10 6MT
    ~VF/Hex tune~Avior Non-res~Reid intake tubes~10mm Spulen spacers~CF S-wheel~
    ~OEM euro side mirrors~Blendmount/iXc~Xpel'd~Gated 6MT~No questions asked~

Past:
    09' Daytona/CF R8 V8 6MT
    08' Daytona/Ti RS4 (dearly missed)
    05.5' Dolphin S4

Carbon cleaning is a topic jousted around this forum quite often. I've read all the posts that speak of the mis-fires and other symptoms and wonder if I'm missing something. I maintain my V8 to the highest level and if I felt or witnessed a misfire or other performance issue that clearly displayed a "sick" car I'd be all over it like a rash. My car has 37K on it and upon start up it sounds fine at its elevated warm up Rev and then settles nicely back into its sewing machine smooth 900 rpm idle without fuss.

I drive my car most weekends and it gets "exercised" into the triple digits routinely and again, no shenanigans from the engine just buttery smooth pulls and that intoxicating sound we have all come to love from our cars. So, I guess my question is: How pronounced are these mis-fires? What other issues (if any) should we be looking for?

Many on the forum state in response that if your car has more then XXX # of miles on your engine then you need the carbon cleaning. Is it really that simple?

Thanks everyone.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast