Learning Manual on R8 V8 - Page 2


  1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

    Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!
     
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Learning Manual on R8 V8

  1. #11
    Senior Member RNLabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Greenville, SC-USA
    Posts
    801

    Re: Learning Manual on R8 V8

    On a flat surface this is easy in an R8 - it gets a bit trickier as an uphill slope grows. For example I cannot start my car off at idle on a grade greater than about 5% without a little bit of throttle ...

    But with a careful foot, I can muster all the way to 6th on a flat surface without having to add throttle, and then very carefully on the throttle pull away - albeit not particularly in a blaze the car is capable of ;-)
    - Roger __________________________________________________
    2014 R8 V10 plus 6MT, Daytona/Black-Diamond Stitch
    2015 Q3 2.0 Quattro Prestige S-line, Tundra/Chestnut
    2019 TT RS Clubsport Turbo Livery/Black-Red

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #12
    Senior Member APOLLOSKI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    LAX
    Posts
    351

    Re: Learning Manual on R8 V8

    Quote Originally Posted by RNLabas View Post
    On a flat surface this is easy in an R8 - it gets a bit trickier as an uphill slope grows. For example I cannot start my car off at idle on a grade greater than about 5% without a little bit of throttle ...

    But with a careful foot, I can muster all the way to 6th on a flat surface without having to add throttle, and then very carefully on the throttle pull away - albeit not particularly in a blaze the car is capable of ;-)
    The R8 does have hill assist which engages the handbrake a little. Throttle a little until it disengages and you start rolling again which is what I believe RNLabas was talking about.

  4. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by ajsherrill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockR8 View Post
    Hey guys I'm brand new to this forum lol. I've been a fan of the R8 for years, I'm currently in college studying Mechanical engineering, I should graduate around 2022. I've been intrigued on learning manual and want my next car to be a manual, I also want my next car to be an R8 Lord's willing. I currently drive an auto RSX and would use that for my daily. I wanted to know your guys thought on learning a manual on an R8 V8, I've heard mixed thoughts about it. I will be having my father teaching me as I drive if it works. Thank you for all advice!
    HELL YES !!!! Daily drive that Bit#*.....
    thank you AJ and I definitely plan on it in due time lol

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderingmind83 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockR8 View Post
    Hey guys I'm brand new to this forum lol. I've been a fan of the R8 for years, I'm currently in college studying Mechanical engineering, I should graduate around 2022. I've been intrigued on learning manual and want my next car to be a manual, I also want my next car to be an R8 Lord's willing. I currently drive an auto RSX and would use that for my daily. I wanted to know your guys thought on learning a manual on an R8 V8, I've heard mixed thoughts about it. I will be having my father teaching me as I drive if it works. Thank you for all advice!
    This year I picked up an V8 6sp Manual, I always drove manuals up until I got my (still current) daily driver BMW 330 which is a sequential steptronic / auto. I appreciate both, the BMW is great for cruising and general smooth riding, but it can also be switched into sport / manual mode. The R8 just feels like so much fun in a manual version I have to say, you really feel part of the drive and there is enormous satisfaction in nailing a good gear change and getting the revs right etc.
    I would say learning to drive a manual transmission in an R8 is not much different to any other car. The clutch is lovely and short throw gear lever is a joy to use. I would say as you can already drive a car and operate it on the road, after a week you'll be driving a manual like you've been doing it forever. And yes absolutely buy an R8!
    awesome that was gonna be my first sports car regardless, but I just wanted to try manual. Thank you Wander!

  7. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott-AhlmanPerformance View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderingmind83 View Post
    This year I picked up an V8 6sp Manual, I always drove manuals up until I got my (still current) daily driver BMW 330 which is a sequential steptronic / auto. I appreciate both, the BMW is great for cruising and general smooth riding, but it can also be switched into sport / manual mode. The R8 just feels like so much fun in a manual version I have to say, you really feel part of the drive and there is enormous satisfaction in nailing a good gear change and getting the revs right etc.
    I would say learning to drive a manual transmission in an R8 is not much different to any other car. The clutch is lovely and short throw gear lever is a joy to use. I would say as you can already drive a car and operate it on the road, after a week you'll be driving a manual like you've been doing it forever. And yes absolutely buy an R8!
    Agreed. The R8 clutch is the best I have driven. The shifting is smooth and easy. So easy and rewarding, as Wanderingmind notes, in every way, by far. And I was a ride and handling development engineer for Ford on the 2005 GT. Just take your time on shifting and go faster as you progress. Slipping the clutch and holding the car on hills is the biggest challenge in manuals at first though the R8 transmission seems to have a feature that seems to hold the car a bit from rolling back. (has anyone else noticed this?)

    The pedals are great too so that I can heal toe for downshifts in my flip flops.
    niccceeee you got me excited for that day now!! Hopefully prices don't go up too much.

  8. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
    Lofty aspirations for an upcoming college grad ! While I admire your aggressiveness towards R8 ownership, please keep in mind these cars are not cheap to maintain properly so hopefully your champagne tastes won't be on a bud light budget.

    I've 3 boys, 2 in college and they're all gear heads and love sports cars. I've been telling them not to get strapped down with a big car payment when they get out of school. Travel, start to build investments, date girls, have fun !

    With that said, the R8 is a user friendly manual to learn how to drive so if it's the path you choose to take be confident you're buying a winner of a car !

    Best to you young man.
    thank you for your advice mind sir I really do appreciate it. I know it will come in due time, I just gotta be patient

  9. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by felixRocho View Post
    I'm not sure if that should be the first car you learn how to drive a manual on. I would say, while you're in college get a manual transmission car and learn on that, then when you're comfortable and able to purchase you'll be ready.
    right. I was thinking about that too, maybe even a conversion swap on my rsx

  10. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I agree 100%. The factory clutch in an R8 is smooth, progressive and nicely weighted. It's an easy car to learn on. And with your background in Mech Eng -congrats by the way!- you should have enough mechanical sympathy to avoid abusing it.

    Some tips:
    Take the car tso a place without other traffic. A vacant parking lot is perfect, but many public roads are empty at certain times of the day. Everything goes better when you don't have to worry about stalling in front of a line of impatient motorists!

    Starting up in 1st presents the most challenge, so practice that several times before worrying about gear changes.
    If the parking lot or street has a slight downhill slope, definitely start there. Left foot on the clutch, right foot on the brake, put the car into first gear. Gently ease up pressure on the brake, while keeping the clutch completely pressed down. The car should start to slowly roll on its own. Now, as slowly and smoothly as you can, allow the clutch pedal to come off the floor and take note of where the friction point is... roughly half way up. Once the pedal is all the way up, you can gently use the gas pedal to drive a bit. (for instance, in a loop if you need to get back to the downhill section where you started) Rinse and repeat. A lot!

    Once you've garnered some muscle memory on where the friction point is, and how the clutch take up unfolds, you can progress to shifting into 2nd. From there, practice some starts on level ground. You'll now need to add a wee bit of gas just as you hit the friction point so that the car doesn't stall, since gravity is no longer moving the car for you. But by now you know where the friction point is so you can time the gas pedal to match the exact moment that you need it to get the car moving.

    If ANYTHING doesn't go smoothly... the car starts to stall, the engine revs go up, the clutch is dealing with a lot of slip or the car bucks back and forth... depress the clutch immediately. This stuff can happen, and the key is to deal with it by depressing the clutch, before problems occur. Problems can include excessive wear on the clutch and driveline components, or even a crash. So always remember your "escape route": depress the clutch! Then use the brakes to come to a stop.

    Once you are confident with your level ground first gear starts, try some progressively steeper uphill starts. Take your time; no need to have to accomplish everything that first night. Some of us find that pulling the handbrake on an uphill slope -especially a particularly steep one- makes starting up easier since you won't roll back as you release the foot brake. Practice this several times on a flat section first, so you get the hang of timing the friction point with the gas AND releasing the handbrake. And leave your thumb on the handbrake release button while the level is up so there's one less thing to do at the friction point.

    Best of luck finishing your program and finding the right car!
    wow!! Thank you for this advice I really appreciate it, I've seen many videos and though I know it's not the same it still feels like it's not that bad once I get the concepts down

  11. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by vpatel3473 View Post
    Do you have someone that knows how to drive a manual? It's easier to get talked through the first couple of times. Didn't take me long to learn how to drive when someone competent explained things to me. On a side note I thought I wanted the manual in my R8 but after my supercharger I'm glad it's not. There are times when you need to be focused on just driving. I would suggest you make your decision to stay stock or not as well. I thought the v10 was enough power but it just made me crave more. I think I'm finally content with the power.
    I contemplated V8 and V10 but I feel the V8 personally for me would be a good way to get my feet wet. My Dad knows how to drive manual so I would go ask him to teach me.

  12. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by ajsherrill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajsherrill View Post
    HELL YES !!!! Daily drive that Bit#*.....
    I taught my son to drive on mine...
    there's hope! I plan on having my Dad teach me, that should be a good father son experience

  13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements
     

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0