water going inside rear engine hatch louvers which washing the r8...is this normal? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: water going inside rear engine hatch louvers which washing the r8...is this normal?

Re: water going inside rear engine hatch louvers which washing the r8...is this norma

On the plus side, it gives you the incentive to wipe the carbon fibre down in the engine bay with every wash.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: water going inside rear engine hatch louvers which washing the r8...is this norma

Quote Originally Posted by audiction View Post
    hi guys, I love washing my audis the old school way...hose, bucket with soap, sponges and wheel brush. so once a week I would wash my r8 and when I'm done when I'm drying the car I always open up the frunk, doors and engine compartment to wipe and dry everything up. everything else I would say is normal except for the engine compartment...I notice lots of water going inside the louvers on both side then trickles down to where the spark plug wires are. is this normal? it never bothered me before but now it does bec knock on would what if the water goes inside the plugs. if this is normal for R8s then should I cover the whole engine with a plastic wrap? btw, I notice the left side gets wet more that the right...maybe I just sprayed more water on the left side or maybe I'm missing a louver part which I know I'm not. anyway, thanks for the help in advance.
    I use a couple of strips of painter's tape over the louvers when washing. Cuts down on the engine bay wipedown every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg M5 View Post
    I use a couple of strips of painter's tape over the louvers when washing. Cuts down on the engine bay wipedown every time.

I was thinking of this as well but then if I cover it I went be able to soap the louvers properly...sorry I have a little bit of OCD lol.
    '11 AUDI S4 (manual)
    '08 AUDI R8 (manual)
    '07 AUDI S8
    '01 AUDI S8
    '92 AUDI urS4 (manual)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gtr_jonathan View Post
    It’s definitely normal but very annoying. I have a GT coupe so the engine cover vents are much more exposed compared to the other R8 versions. As my engine bay is completely lined with matte carbon fibre panels, I have to wipe down the panels after every wash. Same thing when it rains as I park my car on the driveway, unfortunately I don’t have a covered garage to park in.

sorry to hear that you have to park your r8 outside...hopefully someday you'll be able to put it inside the garage. maybe you could purchase those portable car tents so at least it protects your car from extreme heat/rain.
    '11 AUDI S4 (manual)
    '08 AUDI R8 (manual)
    '07 AUDI S8
    '01 AUDI S8
    '92 AUDI urS4 (manual)

I just recently purchased my R8 V10. I'm very anal about my engine being clean, should I not wash the engine And engine bay on this car?

Quote Originally Posted by Edstwinturbo View Post
    I just recently purchased my R8 V10. I'm very anal about my engine being clean, should I not wash the engine And engine bay on this car?
    I wouldn't - Just use a towel and some quick detailer after every car wash. It'll keep everything visible nice and shiny.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12