water going inside rear engine hatch louvers which washing the r8...is this normal?

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water going inside rear engine hatch louvers which washing the r8...is this normal?

Exclamation water going inside rear engine hatch louvers while washing my r8...is this normal?

hi guys, I love washing my audis the old school way...hose, bucket with soap, sponges and wheel brush. so once a week I would wash my r8 and when I'm done when I'm drying the car I always open up the frunk, doors and engine compartment to wipe and dry everything up. everything else I would say is normal except for the engine compartment...I notice lots of water going inside the louvers on both side then trickles down to where the spark plug wires are. is this normal? it never bothered me before but now it does bec knock on would what if the water goes inside the plugs. if this is normal for R8s then should I cover the whole engine with a plastic wrap? btw, I notice the left side gets wet more that the right...maybe I just sprayed more water on the left side or maybe I'm missing a louver part which I know I'm not. anyway, thanks for the help in advance.
    Last edited by audiction; 08-22-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    '11 AUDI S4 (manual)
    '08 AUDI R8 (manual)
    '07 AUDI S8
    '01 AUDI S8
    '92 AUDI urS4 (manual)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: water going inside rear engine hatch louvers which washing the r8...is this norma

Dont spray directly into the vents. After foam washing mine, I only get little puddles on the side carbon pieces. No water in the middle area/engine.

Re: water going inside rear engine hatch louvers which washing the r8...is this norma

I agree with the above (don't spray directly in the vents), but typically the channels under the vents get most of the water away from the engine.
    I wouldn't worry a ton though, a little water shouldn't be a problem for the engine as long as the air filters stay dry (coil packs are sealed, connectors should be water tight, etc.) - plenty of people power-wash engine bays with no issues assuming they avoid the air filter/fuse box etc. (I would never on an R8, but still, shouldn't be any more delicate).
    Hidden Content
    2010 Sepang Blue R8 V10 | 6-speed Manual | Carbon Blades | Carbon Engine Bay | Limestone Interior

Mods:
    | JRZ RS Pro Sport Suspension | VF Hex Tune | Fast Intentions Exhaust | Reid Intakes |
    | Maxton Design Lip, Skirts, and Wing | Xpel PPF | Modesta Ceramic |

--Other Vehicles--
    2001 Honda S2000

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Same happens on mine. This is a design feature to allow hot air to escape the engine bay and also channel water away. There will always be a small amount that enters the engine bay unless you're angling the water into the vents.
    2014 Audi R8 V8 STRONIC - 2018 Audi Q7 - 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JK)

very normal, but there's no need to splash directly into the vents unless u plan to wash the engine bay. Another way i do is point the pressure hose from the front of the roof towards the back (standing at the front of the car), that way the water wont get in directly
    R8 V10 (k&n, Kline, VF ECU&TCU)
    981B (k&n)
    991 GT3
    430 Scuderia
    458 Italia

Quote Originally Posted by kiryu View Post
    very normal, but there's no need to splash directly into the vents unless u plan to wash the engine bay. Another way i do is point the pressure hose from the front of the roof towards the back (standing at the front of the car), that way the water wont get in directly
    This is exactly what I do - I always spray from front to back, so it's never going up into the vents. I get small drips of water on the carbon sides, but that's about it.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

water going inside rear engine hatch louvers which washing the r8...is this normal?-1.jpg

It's normal as long as you don't aim directly at the vents it should be fine. On the spyder, there's even large vents right above the engine and even that's fine, so the coupe shouldn't be an issue at all.

It’s definitely normal but very annoying. I have a GT coupe so the engine cover vents are much more exposed compared to the other R8 versions. As my engine bay is completely lined with matte carbon fibre panels, I have to wipe down the panels after every wash. Same thing when it rains as I park my car on the driveway, unfortunately I don’t have a covered garage to park in.
    2011 Audi R8 GT coupe // Metallic Ice // #82 of 333

Fuel expenditure £1,811.57 // 1,271.50 litres

5,731 miles driven since collection day 06/04/2019

I get this as well. Not a ton but enough that when I am done washing the car, I have to go in the engine bay and clean up the rear window and engine covers.

truly appreciate it guys...glad its normal for this to happen. I actually don't spray it directly and do the "front to back" sweep as well but sometimes when I put a lot of soap I tend to spray more on some parts of the vents to remove the suds. it is definitely annoying having to dry so much in the engine bay after every wash. I think I'll just cover the engine with a small clean plastic tarp just to protect the plugs. good thing about this is my engine bay is spotless...not a speck of dust. again, thanks everyone for the help.
    '11 AUDI S4 (manual)
    '08 AUDI R8 (manual)
    '07 AUDI S8
    '01 AUDI S8
    '92 AUDI urS4 (manual)

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast