Hit a curb with my 2018 r8 plus!!!please help

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: Hit a curb with my 2018 r8 plus!!!please help

Hit a curb with my 2018 r8 plus!!!please help

So I have a 2017 r8 plus. I was taking a right turn that i do every morning on my way to the gym. I was going 20 miles or so slammed against the curb on the right side. Now the whole steering wheel is almost crooked for the car to drive straight, the stability control said it malfunctioned. I am attaching a few pictures. I had a friend look at the control arm looked fine, not bent. Do you guys think it is just the alignment?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hit a curb with my 2018 r8 plus!!!please help-img_1848.jpg   Hit a curb with my 2018 r8 plus!!!please help-img_1851.jpg   Hit a curb with my 2018 r8 plus!!!please help-58843460093__3ead7bfa-e039-498b-b126-5bee24895652.jpg   Hit a curb with my 2018 r8 plus!!!please help-58843458236__b91ca820-30fb-4c56-8676-29e1e3890c36.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Hit a curb with my 2018 r8 plus!!!please help

If I had to guess based upon the info given, you more then likely bent a tie rod. Jack the front of the car up and take the wheels off. Compare the left side to the right side. Something bent causing the steering wheel to be off center, now it's time to find it.
    2012 F350 Diesel CC LB DRW Lariat FX4 with A/C seats
    1991 Toyota Pickup CARB legal 3.4 TRD supercharged swap desert adventure truck
    1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited AWD with custom Turbo setup
    2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT Stock daily

Future car - V10 Gated Coupe or 50x60 steel building

Quote Originally Posted by r8pl View Post
    So I have a 2017 r8 plus. I was taking a right turn that i do every morning on my way to the gym. I was going 20 miles or so slammed against the curb on the right side. Now the whole steering wheel is almost crooked for the car to drive straight, the stability control said it malfunctioned. I am attaching a few pictures. I had a friend look at the control arm looked fine, not bent. Do you guys think it is just the alignment?

I bent a BBS F1-R wheel on a track day at Sebring (pot hole in front of curbing at Bishops bend) with my 2015 R8 Competition. Your wheel looks bent but that would not cause the steering wheel to skew. Looks like a tie rod. Have the dealer check it out, but in any case a new wheel and an alignment. Sorry for your issue. My 20" BBS wheel cost over $2,000 and is probable the strongest wheel made. The dealer checked the front end and it was OK.

Dr-Rudi.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

The steering wheel may look like it is off by a huge margin but actually it is a very minor bend in the tie-rod. (maybe an 1/8” off causing toe-in). An alignment shop will be able to straighten it out, but you will always know your tie-rod is not true. Also, the shop may not see any fractures in the metal but the metal is weakened slightly and may continue to bend with potholes and hard driving. If money is tight, get a quote for the tie-rod but have the front end aligned for a hundred bucks. Don’t drive the car hard until you get it properly repaired.

Wheel, tie rod, a arm, bushings, level sensors...so many things. Lift it up and send pictures with the wheel off.

If it's bent replace it don't wait. I did the cheap route and got the alignment on my day to day car and while the steering wheel is straight now you can still tell it doesn't want to go in a straight line. For a car most of us go probably too fast in it would be better just to take it to someone who can really see what's going on and repair it.

UPDAtE

The dealer finally got back to me. They replaced the Tire rod, but the all-wheel-drive malfunction was not going away, and stability control malfunction light was still noot going away. They now say the steering rack needs to be replaced and it will be about 7k!!!!. They said since the tie rod was hit at such a way it could have bent the steering rack, and a new one is needed now.

****, sorry to hear.... Does that $7k quote include repairing or replacing the rim also?
    18’ Raptor SCREW
    12’ R8 V10:
    Fabspeed Catback
    KN Air Filters
    H&R Suspension
    Honeycomb Front Grill

Previous-
    11’ GTR FBO &E85
    09 Lexus ISF
    08 E90 M3
    06 Charger SRT8

no, the rim is completely fine just needs refinishing. But is it possible to bed the steering rack with a hit like this?

You might just need to drive it a bit to clear the lights, or turn them off with vag com and see if they come back.
    2017 Ibis White Spyder - Black with red contrast stitching and carbon.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements