Anyone recognise these R8 accessories?

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recognise these R8 accessories?

Anyone recognise these R8 accessories?

Hi,
    New to the forum. UK based. Just purchased a facelift 2013 V10. In addition to 2 keyfobs I also have two small black remotes, labelled R8 and would appear to be Audi. They have a single pushbutton and a small red LED flashes behind the button. They do not operate central locking. Can anyone tell me what they are for?? I dont think I have a tracker, nor any sports exhaust.
    Thanks in advance
    Hopefully the two photos will be attached!
    Anyone recognise these R8 accessories?-renderedcontent-39ae71f5-55ae-42e8-b7e0-e4703085e0db.jpgAnyone recognise these R8 accessories?-renderedcontent-44e9d3c9-588a-46e3-8cee-b69c9004b130.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Anyone recognise these R8 accessories?

They are the tracker fobs.

Thanks for the fast reply. Forgive my ignorance but how do i use them?? Do they "enable" and "disable" an installed tracker? If so, how would I know when enabled/disabled? Should i expect to see/hear any response from something in the car when the button on remote is operated?
    Sorry for my ignorance. Never used a tracker before.

Love the car!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I didn’t know Audi did trackers with R8’s! Learn something new every day.

I thought they were fobs for opening garage doors!
    Audi R8 - 2008 V8 - manual - black/dark grey
    Audi A3 - 2010 TDi - manual - black
    VW Golf - 2006 Gti - manual - black

So I guess the car has CobraTrak5. The fobs match those on the CobraTrak5 webpages. Presumably you keep the fobs in your pocket and the car senses their presence each time you drive? And if its driven without sensing the fob present, it triggers an alert? I guess i have to subscribe to make it operational, since i have been driving around for two weeks now with the fobs left back at home! ..and I havent yet been immobilised!!
    But at more than £200/yr subscription it seems a bit expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eloclegin View Post
    Check with your insurance company, there might be a discount with this tracker fitted that might offset the cost of the subscription.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

So I guess the car has CobraTrak5. The fobs match those on the CobraTrak5 webpages. Presumably you keep the fobs in your pocket and the car senses their presence each time you drive? And if its driven without sensing the fob present, it triggers an alert? I guess i have to subscribe to make it operational, since i have been driving around for two weeks now with the fobs left back at home! ..and I havent yet been immobilised!!
    That’s how Trackers generally work but check with the manual.

Also might be worth asking the previous owner if they know the current situation.

Some insurance companies demand trackers, others like Admiral don’t. Personally I’ve never bothered but all depends on your personal situation.

Ive got a cobratrak 5 on mine but no fobs? I guess they must have been lost at some point. I haven't bothered re-activating it because as i understand it, in the event it were to be stolen you can just pay the years subscription and activate it their and then. Saves paying unnecessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by pompeyreece View Post
    I didn’t know Audi did trackers with R8’s! Learn something new every day.

I thought they were fobs for opening garage doors!
    One of the options for the R8 is Homelink which is programmable to open remote garage doors. Have it on mine.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Trev450 View Post
    One of the options for the R8 is Homelink which is programmable to open remote garage doors. Have it on mine.
    Yeah, don’t have it on mine but further reading suggests fobs aren’t part of the system? That correct Trev?

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast