Will a GoPro in the engine bay overheat?

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: Will a GoPro in the engine bay overheat?

Will a GoPro in the engine bay overheat?

Hey has anybody mounted their GoPro inside the engine bay, attached to the glass behind the drivers head? I know it gets pretty hot in there and have concerns it might wreck the camera!
    I'm just getting some things ready for Nurburg in a a couple of weeks and might try this out as a rear view.
    V8 | Stage 1 Remap | Daytona Grey Body & Blades | Manual 6 | Valved Capristo Exhaust | Extended Leather | B&O
    Bristol UK

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Why not mount it in the cabin, on the vertical glass, and point it out through the engine bay. I bought a ROAV dual camera and mounted it there, great position for capturing behind you, and in the cabin/in front of you.
    Current: 12' R8 CF/Daytona V10 6MT
    ~VF/Hex tune~Avior Non-res~Reid intake tubes~10mm Spulen spacers~CF S-wheel~
    ~OEM euro side mirrors~Blendmount/iXc~Xpel'd~Gated 6MT~No questions asked~

Past:
    09' Daytona/CF R8 V8 6MT
    08' Daytona/Ti RS4 (dearly missed)
    05.5' Dolphin S4

Re: Will a GoPro in the engine bay overheat?

Quote Originally Posted by WinterRunner View Post
    Why not mount it in the cabin, on the vertical glass, and point it out through the engine bay. I bought a ROAV dual camera and mounted it there, great position for capturing behind you, and in the cabin/in front of you.
    I thought about that, yeah it would work i think, but I'll already have one on the inside of the cabin fixed to that glass facing forwards. I didn't want to have more pads above it or to the side as they already obscure the rear view mirror view of behind, and i think it will be safer on the ring to be able to see behind me!
    So i was thinking of sticking the rear one in the exact same place but on the other side of the glass, to save on space taken up in the rear view.

I think it hopefully should be ok for a lap and then take it out at the end... just hopefully it doesn't fall off and into the engine bay somewhere!
    V8 | Stage 1 Remap | Daytona Grey Body & Blades | Manual 6 | Valved Capristo Exhaust | Extended Leather | B&O
    Bristol UK

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I have mounted mine in there before with no issues from overheating. I open the hatch when I stop. However, I have had issues with the suction cup releasing.

I use a “lanyard” to the hinges to secure it from falling into the engine. Last thing I want is plastic melting or a lighting up.
    Gen 2 V10 Plus - Solar Orange
    911 SC-R; 911 S; GrandAm Cup; 911R Racecar; Driver of GT3R (997.2 and 991.2)
    Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion 2015; Rolex Endurance Champion; US Vintage Racing Champion; PCA Racing Champion

Re: Will a GoPro in the engine bay overheat?

Quote Originally Posted by ervikingo View Post
    I have mounted mine in there before with no issues from overheating. I open the hatch when I stop. However, I have had issues with the suction cup releasing.

I use a “lanyard” to the hinges to secure it from falling into the engine. Last thing I want is plastic melting or a lighting up.
    Great to know, and thanks for the tip! will get a lanyard!
    Bristol UK

You are welcomed!

Do share video....
    Gen 2 V10 Plus - Solar Orange
    911 SC-R; 911 S; GrandAm Cup; 911R Racecar; Driver of GT3R (997.2 and 991.2)
    Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion 2015; Rolex Endurance Champion; US Vintage Racing Champion; PCA Racing Champion

9. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements