Advice on keeping value/ appreciation on a v8 - Page 3

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on keeping value/ appreciation on a v8

Thanks all! Great responses

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Advice on keeping value/ appreciation on a v8

Might be worth more in 10-20 years or so if kept pristine and the right car. However I doubt as an investment it would match putting the money in the market in an index fund and waiting the same period. Certain limited edition models (low build numbers), bone stock, low miles, special colour, and definitely needs to be a manual maybe will outpace the market. Look at how long it took classic muscle cars to appreciate and which ones are now highly valuable will give you an idea. Then think about how much it'll cost to insure the car while stored, maintain (oil change every year, tire rot, hose rot, AC maintenance, suspension parts and possibly mag ride replacement) vs the return. It's a risk vs. a sure thing. Drive and enjoy. Ultimately, on your deathbed you won't be thinking about the $x,xxx you made on keeping and selling the R8 but you may have thoughts about some fun drives you took.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderD View Post
    Ultimately, on your deathbed you won't be thinking about the $x,xxx you made on keeping and selling the R8 but you may have thoughts about some fun drives you took.
    And there's the honest truth of it all...

Things I purchase (spend money on) are things I hope will fill my life with experiences and memories. It's hard to measure the value of those things, as they certainly differ, in many cases, from the actual dollar figure paid. I remember silly $10 toys I had as a kid and how some of them inspired me, sparked my imagination, and some that literally helped shape the course of my life and career. Certainly they're worth more than I (or my parents) paid for them. Similarly, the R8 is just a much, much more expensive toy acquired later in life. I use it because I want to experience it - build memories with it. Those miles on the clock are not good for actual resale value, but they're fantastic for my intended purpose and the ultimate value of the memories they produce. Oddly, not much different than those $10 toys as a kid... just a different scale.

Now, when I want to MAKE money (not spend it), I do that the old fashioned and boring way - investing in equities and bonds. Moreover, I don't even speculate, invest in hot companies that I like... I index. It's super boring, but it gets the job done. Ultimately, I do this so that I have money to do the aforementioned!

That said, it's fantastic when you can actually do BOTH at the same time. It's just super rare. I DO think the R8 has a very good possibility of appreciating over time. We've had countless threads on this subject. It's Audi's first production supercar - that's meaningful. It has a very exciting and super-successful race-bred Le Mans heritage. It achieved overwhelming success when launched (awards, accolades, and selling a full year of production in under a week). It became a mainstream icon through Iron Man, toys, games, posters, etc. Put simply, much LESSER cars (with higher production numbers) have managed to appreciate with a fraction of the R8's resume. But, in my book, speculating on future value is not a good reason to miss out on enjoying the car today. Yes, keep it in good shape and be mindful of wear and tear. But if you lose sight of today's enjoyment for tomorrow's potential value, you'll typically get the short end of the stick. While I do believe the R8 will appreciate, I'm nearly 100% certain it would never keep pace with the S&P 500 - even most of the greatest cars can't claim that much.

So, buy things to enjoy. Put your money into the market for real appreciation. As a side note, at roughly 22x P/E, the S&P may not be the hottest buy at the moment either... but definitely good near-term upside potential if we get a few more rate cuts before year-end and decent Q3 and Q4 earnings that put full year at 2.3% - 2.5% GDP growth. Add some kind of resolution to the trade conflicts with China, and now you'd be cooking with gas into 2020. But short of some break-outs in earnings (cyclical sector rotation as one option coming into play) into Q4, a rise in the S&P will only come from multiple expansion on that P/E as a result of rate cuts - and while growth, that's not comfortable growth for me.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
    And there's the honest truth of it all...

Things I purchase (spend money on) are things I hope will fill my life with experiences and memories. It's hard to measure the value of those things, as they certainly differ, in many cases, from the actual dollar figure paid. I remember silly $10 toys I had as a kid and how some of them inspired me, sparked my imagination, and some that literally helped shape the course of my life and career. Certainly they're worth more than I (or my parents) paid for them. Similarly, the R8 is just a much, much more expensive toy acquired later in life. I use it because I want to experience it - build memories with it. Those miles on the clock are not good for actual resale value, but they're fantastic for my intended purpose and the ultimate value of the memories they produce. Oddly, not much different than those $10 toys as a kid... just a different scale.

Now, when I want to MAKE money (not spend it), I do that the old fashioned and boring way - investing in equities and bonds. Moreover, I don't even speculate, invest in hot companies that I like... I index. It's super boring, but it gets the job done. Ultimately, I do this so that I have money to do the aforementioned!

That said, it's fantastic when you can actually do BOTH at the same time. It's just super rare. I DO think the R8 has a very good possibility of appreciating over time. We've had countless threads on this subject. It's Audi's first production supercar - that's meaningful. It has a very exciting and super-successful race-bred Le Mans heritage. It achieved overwhelming success when launched (awards, accolades, and selling a full year of production in under a week). It became a mainstream icon through Iron Man, toys, games, posters, etc. Put simply, much LESSER cars (with higher production numbers) have managed to appreciate with a fraction of the R8's resume. But, in my book, speculating on future value is not a good reason to miss out on enjoying the car today. Yes, keep it in good shape and be mindful of wear and tear. But if you lose sight of today's enjoyment for tomorrow's potential value, you'll typically get the short end of the stick. While I do believe the R8 will appreciate, I'm nearly 100% certain it would never keep pace with the S&P 500 - even most of the greatest cars can't claim that much.

So, buy things to enjoy. Put your money into the market for real appreciation. As a side note, at roughly 22x P/E, the S&P may not be the hottest buy at the moment either... but definitely good near-term upside potential if we get a few more rate cuts before year-end and decent Q3 and Q4 earnings that put full year at 2.3% - 2.5% GDP growth. Add some kind of resolution to the trade conflicts with China, and now you'd be cooking with gas into 2020. But short of some break-outs in earnings (cyclical sector rotation as one option coming into play) into Q4, a rise in the S&P will only come from multiple expansion on that P/E as a result of rate cuts - and while growth, that's not comfortable growth for me.
    Amen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy it and drive it like you stole it; because if the Devil Dem’s get there way, combustion engines, real beef and plastic straws are all going to be distant memories!

Museums may have a relic R8 on display to show future generations how our generation committed “crimes against humanity” (an actual quote from the Communist News Network (CNN) 7 hour Democrat climate debate) by driving fossil fuel burning automobiles. So unless the Smithsonian Museum is willing pay top dollar for your artefact R8, appreciation is out of the question!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJimer View Post
    Enjoy it and drive it like you stole it; because if the Devil Dem’s get there way, combustion engines, real beef and plastic straws are all going to be distant memories!

Museums may have a relic R8 on display to show future generations how our generation committed “crimes against humanity” (an actual quote from the Communist News Network (CNN) 7 hour Democrat climate debate) by driving fossil fuel burning automobiles. So unless the Smithsonian Museum is willing pay top dollar for your artefact R8, appreciation is out of the question!
    Hilarious but also scarily true.
    10 V10 Coupe, Ibis, 6MT, Capristo, Carbon Blades, OZ Ultraleggera HLT's, Maxton Splitter.
    Maintained by RE Performance.

Mitsubishi Evo V1 RS450 Extreme

Hidden Content

If you want a car as an investment, buy yourself a 993 or 964 911 and hold on to it. Those will likely go up. But at the end of the day it comes down to what do you value in life. I'd rather have an R8. The only R8 that is going up in value is facelift gated V10s. Maybe the time will come for V8s one day.

Quote Originally Posted by rafalboston View Post
    If you want a car as an investment, buy yourself a 993 or 964 911 and hold on to it. Those will likely go up. But at the end of the day it comes down to what do you value in life. I'd rather have an R8. The only R8 that is going up in value is facelift gated V10s. Maybe the time will come for V8s one day.
    ...and the GT, IMO.

Were are the V10 manuals for under $85k? I've been looking for a while and am now in the market at around that level. Don't need it to appreciate, just not lose a ton on depreciation....

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSal View Post
    Were are the V10 manuals for under $85k? I've been looking for a while and am now in the market at around that level. Don't need it to appreciate, just not lose a ton on depreciation....
    There is a white one for sale in the for sale section for 79k.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123