Advice on keeping value/ appreciation on a v8

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on keeping value/ appreciation on a v8

Advice on keeping value/ appreciation on a v8

Hi there all,

What advice would you guys give in terms of allowing the r8 to keep most of its value or even appreciate in the coming years?

I have a v8 spyder in Manual. I’m going to keep the mileage down as much as I can. I don’t intend to make any changes to the engine in terms of turbocharging etc. Not sure about appearance modifications just yet. Any advice or opinions will be great!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Advice on keeping value/ appreciation on a v8

Drive the car.
    2014 Audi R8 V8 STRONIC - 2018 Audi Q7 - 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JK)

In my opinion, very few cars appreciate in any meaningful way. I wouldn't buy an R8 as an investment vehicle (pun intended). Get a decent one and drive it. They hold their value well, so you won't be out a ton.

As the old saying goes, not driving a car is like not banging your girlfriend so the next guy will find her attractive. Get something you enjoy and enjoy it!

-td (just my $0.02, but probably worth less)
    Himself
    PL73, Typ 4M Q7 [2018]
    Typ 42 R8 Spyder [2014]
    996 GT3 [2004]
    ----------gone----------
    Audi - PL71, Typ 4M Q7 Diesel [2015]
    BMW - E70 X5d [2012]; E90 335i [2007]; E53 X5 [2004]; E46 M3 Convertible SMG [2002]
    MB - W204 C300 [2011]; W211 E350 [2008]; W203 C55 AMG [2005]
    Porsche - 997.1 Cabriolet [2005]; 996 C2 [2000]; 986 Spec Boxster [1999]

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Love the car, keep it, enjoy it, it will become priceless to you.
    Black/Gold 09 V8 Coupe R-Tronic. Black/Gold 05 Race prep'd Yamaha R1.

As I'm sure everyone will respond here, there's no crystal ball that will tell us future value trends. That said, there are some good reasons to believe the R8 will continue to be sought after - whatever that translates to in value? Who knows.

- Maintain it as it's supposed to be maintained. Don't skimp. PROACTIVELY care for the car versus reacting to things that go to waste.

- Keep the mileage reasonable. That doesn't mean "don't drive it." Cars that don't get driven are difficult to maintain and can have their own issues. Keep it exercised, but don't daily drive it.

- Keep up with the condition aesthetically. Be cognizant of the paint, leather, metals, etc. Take proactive measures here, again.

- Keep records - ALL records.

- Don't modify it. If you do, ensure the modification is able to be undone without damage or side-effects, and you're keeping all original parts.

- Don't drive it through adverse weather conditions - primarily snow with road salt.

There's a lot more that can be said here, and I'm sure others will chime in, but don't forget to just enjoy the car, too. Again, I think the R8 will naturally be a sought-after car for many years to come. But there will also be some really ratty looking examples because most people don't have experience keeping up a car for decades - they're used to using and disposing of them, so REAL upkeep doesn't come naturally to many people. But don't lock it away in a garage, either - drive it and enjoy it... just being responsible about it at the same time.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
    As I'm sure everyone will respond here, there's no crystal ball that will tell us future value trends. That said, there are some good reasons to believe the R8 will continue to be sought after - whatever that translates to in value? Who knows.

- Maintain it as it's supposed to be maintained. Don't skimp. PROACTIVELY care for the car versus reacting to things that go to waste.

- Keep the mileage reasonable. That doesn't mean "don't drive it." Cars that don't get driven are difficult to maintain and can have their own issues. Keep it exercised, but don't daily drive it.

- Keep up with the condition aesthetically. Be cognizant of the paint, leather, metals, etc. Take proactive measures here, again.

- Keep records - ALL records.

- Don't modify it. If you do, ensure the modification is able to be undone without damage or side-effects, and you're keeping all original parts.

- Don't drive it through adverse weather conditions - primarily snow with road salt.

There's a lot more that can be said here, and I'm sure others will chime in, but don't forget to just enjoy the car, too. Again, I think the R8 will naturally be a sought-after car for many years to come. But there will also be some really ratty looking examples because most people don't have experience keeping up a car for decades - they're used to using and disposing of them, so REAL upkeep doesn't come naturally to many people. But don't lock it away in a garage, either - drive it and enjoy it... just being responsible about it at the same time.
    Well said EZ....I agree on driving her and not just letting her sit instead....not driving your R8 is like not banging your hot wife so the next guy can....I think that's how the saying goes.

So how does an aftermarket exhaust come into play here?
    Would most buyers say that adds or subtracts value?

Cheers,
    NAV

Like others have mentioned, this is not the car that will appreciate. While this is a notable car, there are plenty out there and they continue to make them. You’re paying for it, drive it and enjoy it. Even if it sat in a garage and kept low miles, this car still will not make you money.

Of all the cars I have or had, I’ve driven all of them. My enjoyment is the car and using it. Not making money on it. That’s just me.....
    18’ Raptor SCREW
    12’ R8 V10

Previous-
    11’ GTR FBO &E85
    09 Lexus ISF
    08 E90 M3
    06 Charger SRT8

It’s going to depreciate, not appreciate. Spiders even more so. In fact, I have a V10 manual which probably has a better chance of not depreciating as badly vs a V8. But in the past 45 days alone V10 manuals have dipped hard, and a couple are going for below $85k right now (USA). This would have been unheard of this spring when multiple buyers were going for my V10 at $97k. I have been following prices closely and prices are dropping.
    2012 R8 V10 Gated Manual - Black

Quote Originally Posted by 100Daily View Post
    It’s going to depreciate, not appreciate. Spiders even more so. In fact, I have a V10 manual which probably has a better chance of not depreciating as badly vs a V8. But in the past 45 days alone V10 manuals have dipped hard, and a couple are going for below $85k right now (USA). This would have been unheard of this spring when multiple buyers were going for my V10 at $97k. I have been following prices closely and prices are dropping.
    This is a seasonal price adjustment, let’s look at the next spring and we shall see a spike again.
    To the original poster, being a V8 your car will be in the middle of demand. Like others have said maintain it with records and OEM parts, keep mods conservative and drive it. If you decide to sell, 30k miles or 60kmile would not make a big difference for your model. General condition and history would.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast