What amount of jerkiness is normal with S-Tronic?

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What amount of jerkiness is normal with S-Tronic?

What amount of jerkiness is normal with S-Tronic?

Hello everyone. Relatively new member looking for advice

Can anyone comment on what level of jerkiness is normal on downshifts with S-tronic.

I have had my 2013 v10 S-Tronic (25k miles) for a couple of weeks now. I find that normal Auto mode is OK and best for around town. Sport Auto mode seems way too aggressive and holds the revs too high even if not hard on the throttle. I sometimes encounter jerking on downshifts especially 4-3 and 3-2. Is this normal? Even with a gradual slowdown such as coming up to a junction where the S-Tronic is surely not confused about what gear is coming next. It still jerks quite often at the final slowdown. I have tried ensuring that I am off the throttle because I have read that being on the throttle will override the rev matching on downshifts, but it doesnt seem to make a great difference. It seems almost as if when in Sport Auto it is downshifting 4-3 and 3-2 too late. It allows the revs to die too much and hence tries a 4-3 at less than 20mph and it jolts, as if slop in transmission. Is this just a normal result of Sport Auto brutality? Did I do something that caused it to downshift too late?

When out of town I use Manual mode with Sport which seems the most enjoyable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: What amount of jerkiness is normal with S-Tronic?

I had looked at a s tronic. I thought it was smooth. I have a R tronic the upshift from first to second has a jerk if you are in auto or at a RPM the trans doesn't like. The s tronic should be pretty smooth. I would suggest trying to anticipate it a little lift slightly off the gas let it shift and keep going. Also the vf transmission tune helped a lot with the rev matching so even if I don't do it it downshift pretty well. There are some euro tunes that are floating around on here as well for the TCU that I've heard similar responses to.

The S-Tronic Sport auto rev matching downshifts are quite aggressive. Perfectly normal.
    Hidden Content
    Audi R8 V10 S-Tronic - Brilliant Red - Fire Red PPF -
    SprintBooster - Clearplex - Android AV - Michelin PS4S

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Tim

My 2014 S Tronic can jerk on downshift. This tends to happen when I'm in manual mode and I'm slowing down to less than 40 and have forgotten to shift down to a lower gear. The car will down change to get in the correct gear, then as I start accelerating again it can be quite jerky as it gets in the lower gear.

So, the S-Tronic is generally very smooth, but I would characterize that smoothness most when it comes to up-shifts. When in Sport mode, the downshifts will still be a more aggressive, and sometimes very much so depending on the circumstances.

In the Sport + Auto mode, the transmission will generally not let the revs fall below 2.5k RPM before downshifting. If they're falling below that level in Sport + Auto, there may be an issue to check out.

When I first got the R8, I used the Auto + Sport mode frequently - largely out of curiosity to see how the programming worked and where Audi believed shifting was ideal. It's actually pretty impressive - right down to the rapid fire sequential downshifts you'll get if you come hot into a corner on the brakes. Very cool. But, for the most part, I'd say it's NOT a program you want to use if just driving around. In many cases, it's just too aggressive for normal, casual street driving. If you insist on using an Auto program, I'd just use the non-Sport + Auto program instead. No, you won't get the throttle blips or open-valve exhaust, but it'll be usable.

But to be honest, save for the short while after I got the R8, I've driven exclusively now for the past 5 years of owning the car in Sport + Manual, and that's really the only way to really enjoy it. You have full control over when to shift, plus you get the benefits of the Sport program. You can casually come to a stoplight without downshifting in such a way to constantly draw attention, for example!

Lastly, I'll say that the Sport + Auto program isn't perfect, either. It can and will do some funky stuff from time to time. Given the nature of a DCT, it's constantly guessing whether the next shift is up or down. It's possible to "fool" the system by giving driving inputs that make it think one thing while you then ask for the opposite. It's rare, but in the manual mode it can cause the transmission to pause while it selects the next gear. Whereas in the Auto mode, it's a bit more disconcerting when that happens as you're not necessarily thinking, "well, I just asked for this gear and haven't yet gotten it (instantly)."

So, long story short, drive in Sport + Manual and enjoy it.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

Well said Ez. This is the best description on the Gen1 S-Tronic I've read on the forum!
    Hidden Content
    Audi R8 V10 S-Tronic - Brilliant Red - Fire Red PPF -
    SprintBooster - Clearplex - Android AV - Michelin PS4S

Couldn't agree more with the above. Sport+Auto is a bit of an animal!! Sport + Manual is the only way.

I really wish there was a half way "Enthusiastic" Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Bobley View Post
    Couldn't agree more with the above. Sport+Auto is a bit of an animal!! Sport + Manual is the only way.

I really wish there was a half way "Enthusiastic" Auto
    There is, it’s called Gen 2. Software is so much better

Yep, random clunky gearshifts in auto, sport mode only good for manual changes, and even then changing down into first must be done either at 20mph+ or at a standstill, or the car ****s itself. And then there’s the random holding of gears—floored it in auto the other day, it changed to third then banged into the limiter three times before shifting up. It’s a good gearbox, but it really does have its moments!

Thanks for all your comments. So mine is normal!
    I agree Manual + Sport is the way to go.
    But those downshifts are just too addictive!
    2013 V10 S-tronic Ibis white (25k miles)

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast