Potential new owner - GTR to R8

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential new owner - GTR to R8

Potential new owner - GTR to R8

Hello all you lovely R8 owners. I'm guessing this has been seen many times before, GTR owners making the change to an R8, and same could be said over at the GTROC forums where R8 owners have converted to the GTR.

Anyway, I have now made the decision to trade in my GTR for an R8. I live in a small town in UK where my nearest motorway/freeway is over 2 hour drive away, so the power of the GTR is wasted under my ownership. So power/speed is not a big issue for me, and upon this thought I have decided to go for a V8 manual, hopefully in White if the right one pops up.

Reasons for changing, I'm just not feeling that special feeling driving the GTR, sure it turns heads, kids take photos of it and everyone asks questions at the petrol pumps, which I truly enjoy, I love chatting and always happy to show kids/men/woman whoever my car and answer questions about it, with the R8 being more exotic looking I'm guessing there will be an increase in public attention, so this to me is a good thing and something I look forward to. But I want driving my car to be a special occasion even if it is my daily driver, I want to be low to the ground, engine roaring right behind my ears, this you just do not get in the GTR

I have some questions about exhausts, but I will make a seperate thread in the appropriate section about that. This was just to say hi, and hoping the R8 drives, sounds and feels as good as it looks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Potential new owner - GTR to R8

Welcome! You will not be disappointed in the R8 V8 at all. It truly makes everyday driving an event (even though mine is not a daily driver). I've been mostly a Corvette guy (most recent being a highly modified C6 Z06 with 560+ RWHP on the dyno) but I opted for a mid-engine AWD sports car this time and I am absolutely thrilled with it. It doesn't have the brute acceleration of some of my previous rides but it is so much more refined and special. You will certainly draw more attention in the R8, it's a rare sight on the roads and the lines of the car turns heads. I hope you find your R8 soon!
    Hidden Content
    2008 R8 4.2

Thank you teapot, that's exactly what I am trying to get across to friends, all they can say is "but its slow compared to the GTR". But It's hard to explain to them about having that "special feeling" all you R8 guys will be very familiar with. Like the next guy I like fast cars, but there's no point if the look of the car is something I keep questioning to myself, which I do everyday with the GTR, whereas the R8 not so.

It's not like the v8 or v10 are slouches themselves, so I know the performance being an ex-GTR owner will not bother me in the slightest.

One thing I am struggling with though, especially in uk, I cannot for the life of me find used R8's with aftermarket exhausts, with the amount of people on forum who have non stock exhausts, I though the used R8 market would have quite a few with aftermarket exhausts. Either that or the dealers are just simply not listing it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by deankenny View Post
    One thing I am struggling with though, especially in uk, I cannot for the life of me find used R8's with aftermarket exhausts, with the amount of people on forum who have non stock exhausts, I though the used R8 market would have quite a few with aftermarket exhausts. Either that or the dealers are just simply not listing it.
    Most owners with aftermarket exhausts probably remove the exhaust and replace with the factory one before selling. Easier to sell an unmodified car and the aftermarket exhaust can still be sold for $.

I owned three R35 GT-R's. I love the power, daily utilitarian and ease of maintenance of the GT-R. However, everyone wants to race you and the GT-R has a stigma slowly being attached to it where it is becoming the top of the 'rice' chain. It is still a supercar - probably the fastest and most useful car I have driven daily.

I sold my F360 because I did not like the maintenance.

I wanted something unique and a car that would hold its value just like the NSX did. I opted for a 2010 R8 4.2 V8 Manual. I love it. I miss the power and handling of the GT-R but as I age, it's not all about the power and speed. I love the look, driving ability and the overall ownership of the R8.

I also drive a Tesla Model S and alternate daily with the R8. :-)

I owned three R35 GT-R's. I love the power, daily utilitarian and ease of maintenance of the GT-R. However, everyone wants to race you and the GT-R has a stigma slowly being attached to it where it is becoming the top of the 'rice' chain. It is still a supercar - probably the fastest and most useful car I have driven daily.

I sold my F360 because I did not like the maintenance.

I wanted something unique and a car that would hold its value just like the NSX did. I opted for a 2010 R8 4.2 V8 Manual. I love it. I miss the power and handling of the GT-R but as I age, it's not all about the power and speed. I love the look, driving ability and the overall ownership of the R8.

I also drive a Tesla Model S and alternate daily with the R8. :-)

Amazing. I also went from GTR to 360 to NSX to now, R8
    GTR was a great car but left you wanting more involvement. Also, cheap interior bits disappoint.
    The R8 seems to replicate the 360's design philosophy but feel much more solid, refined, and well screwed together. I don't expect the engine to self-destruct at 20K miles like the 360 did.
    I'm also going to be looking into exhaust options soon. Just needs a little more bark. The Tubi on my 360 was sublime. Never had an exhaust that sounded quite so amazing, exotic, thrilling. The rest of the car was garbage.
    Good luck with your search.

Talking Re: Potential new owner - GTR to R8

Hi guys,

As a new member (1st post) this thread is very exciting to read.

I too am about to purchase/lease my first R8 V8 and can't wait to get-her home.

I'm trading in my 2012 CTS-v wagon (manual) and have really enjoyed owning it but as already said, the R8 is an altogether different machine.

It's quite encouraging to hear there is such an attraction to the V8 version yet and not everyone has to have the V10... @ least the first time around

You certainly will get tons more attention in the r8. I know you said that power did not mean much to you but I think you may be a little disappointed when you realize how much you took it for granted when you step on the throttle coming from the Gtr to the v8. My suggestion is if you can afford the extra money you should most definitely go with the v10. Good luck. Either way your going to get 10x the attention.

LBC

I have both myself. A pretty modded GTR and my R8 has exhaust, sprint booster and TCU/ECU flash from German Motoring. They're very different cars but both are great. I personally still prefer my GTR but they both get the looks from people. I have an R-tronic R8 so that could be it; it just can't compare to the dual-clutch of the GTR. However, the TCU upgrade from German Motoring really improved the shift lag of the R8 which has made driving it MUCH more enjoyable.

You can't go wrong with an R8 that's for sure.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast