New member and potential owner with questions

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Thread: New member and potential owner with questions

Question New member and potential owner with questions

Hello, I currently drive a 2009 Cadillac CTS-V with a manual transmission. While it is a great car, I've had this itch for a new car creeping up on me recently, and now I'm seriously considering an R8 V10 manual coupe for my next car.

I have some questions for current owners of manual R8's. Are the throws long? Is the shift lever heavy? Did it take you time to get used to the gated shifter? Does the shifter need to be guided carefully into gear, or does it pretty much feel like a normal shifter? Since no dealer in my area (SoCal, San Gabriel Valley) has a manual car in stock for me to check out, I am hoping that a generous owner in my area would be willing to let me check out his/her ride. I don't need a test drive, I would just like to get a feel for the gated shifter and the weight of the clutch.

Also, I'm not sure whether to go with a standard V10 or a V10 Plus. One of the things that appeals to me about the R8 is its combination of civility and performance. It seems to me that the adjustable magnetic shocks are what allow for the car to have that. I'm concerned that the personality of the Plus might be tilted too far on the side of performance for me. Can any V10 Plus owners describe the ride, especially compared to the standard model? Also, how loud is it inside the the car? Since some of the weight savings are from the Plus having less sound deadening material, I hope it isn't too loud for daily driving.

Thanks in advance to any owners who take the time to respond to my questions.

Wayne

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: New member and potential owner with questions

One of the easiest manuals I have ever driven, clutch is very light and as you go in the direction of the next gear it just falls into place. Have never driven a Plus but would not buy one from my experience driving a Lambo Superleggera, was noisy with road noise and an uncomfortable ride
    2015 Blu Caelum Huracan LP-610-4. VF800 Supercharged, Fabspeed Supersport Valved Exhaust.
    2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige Navarra Blue
    2018 Lotus Red Evora 400 Manual

Gone
    2012 Red R8 V10 6sp, VF-750 Supercharger, Tubi Rumore Exhaust
    Gone
    2009 R8 V8, 6SP Manual. Silver/Black,Stasis Supercharged,

At first ... I thought the gated shifter would be a little difficult to use. But it is easy to shift. It may not be as smooth as some short throw shifters, but the metallic click click is a mechanical sound that I never grow tired of hearing. I love my mag dampers. Depending on the terrain ... I will switch back and forth on the settings during a simple 30 minute drive. I could probably live with the hard setting, but why? Good luck with your search.
    2017 Madreperla White Alfa Romeo 4C. Carbon Fiber Tub. Carbon Fiber Roof. Carbon Fiber Interior Package. Acrapovic center exhaust. Sports Suspension. Wrap. Carbon Fiber Mirror with Italian Flag. RED seats. Staggered 18/19 wheels.

Current Driver: 2016 A7 Prestige Ibis White 20's

PAST: 996TT, 997cab, 997TT, 2010 R8 V10 6MT

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Gated shift is easy to use, though I do find myself looking down at the gate sometimes when I'm changing - not sure why, I think it's because it just looks good, it's the first one I've owned and the novelty has not yet worn off!

For the UK, I find the normal setting on the mag ride the best; the sport setting is just to hard for the road conditions here and I rarely use it.

A lot of the additional cost in the "plus" is in the ceramic brakes and carbon bits. The former good on the track and the latter just looks good and a very small weight saving. I was not aware of any reduction in the sound proofing, but you could be right.

Some URLs to a couple of UK based reviews. The AE one is short and concise and addresses your question on the ride. Evo are a big fan of all the R8 range so give it an unreserved 5 star rating. Note the reviews need to be put into context of road conditions here in UK which are not all that great!

Auto Express R8 V10 Plus review

Evo R8 V10 Plus reviewl

The gated shifter is fantastic. The throws are a little longer than my 911 throws, but I always got the optional short shifter in my 911s so that is probably one reason why. The gated feel is exactly any other manual and it looks fantastic!

I have a 2014 spyder, but if I got the coupe, I would opt for the v10+ specifically for the tuned engine and the slightly harder edge. The ceramics (which I have on my spyder) are fantastic, plus it am not totally enamored with the magnetic adjustable suspension. As far as loudness, the R8 sounds great in stock, but is unleashed with an aftermarket exhaust. You'll find yourself loving the lighter weight and slight loss of sound dampening materials.

Plus, if you want a manual, I think it's probably best to get this model before the 2015 new model which is by rumor only S-tropic dual clutch.

Thanks for all your replies. The Auto Express review essentially confirmed what I suspected, which was that the standard V10 is better for the road, while the Plus is better for the track. From all the positive responses regarding the gated shifter, I'm a little more at ease about it.

Still hoping to find an owner in my area who'd be willing to let me check out his/her car. Can't offer much in return except a handshake and a chance to check out my Caddy. It's no R8, but it is a pretty rare car.

I agree 100% with all prior comments. I have owned my V-10 m/t for a year and love it. It has ruined me for my other cars. Like mentioned earlier I also find myself looking down as there is no boot and it has become a bit of a habit. Love the rifle bolt sound as I change gears. Interestingly, I bought a 2012 CTS-V Coupe 6 speed m/t last month. I wanted a comfortable car as a dd to compliment my R8. The V has a Lingenfelter package and other mods and just dyno'd at 618 rwhp. I can only go by seat of my pants but the R8 "feels" faster. My R8 is also moded with Fabspeed exhaust, APR 93 tune, Sprintbooster, pipercross filters...based on what I have read on this forum it's probably around 610 hp at the crank. It could be the sound and more rapid/higher revs that have me misjudging which is faster but it sure feels like my Audi is quicker. Either way they work well together. Good luck and I would strongly suggest the manual for this car.

I forgot to include a link to the June 2014 edition of Evo. I think someone else on this forum previously posted this magazine repository - it was a great find!

I have the hard copy - if you click through to Page 114, you can read about the Evo team placing a factory order for a V10 Plus; they deliberately chose the manual (it will be one of very few in the UK). It's a long termer, so if you keep an eye on the website, they will update the status in subsequent editions - July will be the next one.

Can't help you with a test unless you come to Ireland for a holiday this summer, which is normally about 3 days long.

Magnus - Evo June 2014 - turn to page 114

In all honest, I think you are overthinking this thing ~ going from a Caddy to this caliber car is night and day. My buddy has a CTS-V and it's not even comparable to my old m3. Yes I know it's fast but that's about where the similarity ends.

The R8 is far superior to even a GTR in many aspects so I think if the car is in your budget just get it and you won't look back. Everything about the R8 makes it quite civil around town except you are going to lack the obvious things:

a) Only 2 seater
    b) Tiny Truck
    c) Wide car thus hard to park in certain malls, parking lots, etc
    d) Lots of staring and questions depending on where you go

(none of the above are issues with the Caddy so it's really asking yourself if you can live with such a small car) All the other things you are asking about is really non-factors. The car drives super smooth and thought the shifter will never be like the one in my s2000, it's definitely one of the better ones around. Shifts nicer than my NSX for sure.

P.S. Please get a manual, it's the only tranny that does this car justice.

As for a test drive I'm sure there are tons of local R8 owners near your area if you attend a local event. Gluck!

12. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements