Finally picked up the 2011 R8 V10 Spyder this week. Made an 1100 mile, 2 day trip home in flawless fashion. Awesome car, even as we tried to mind the break-in protocols. Not a single issue with the car, although the cops stopped us twice, just to see the car and take pictures. Talk about exercising the heart!
Initial impressions, vs our former V8 coupe:
- Engine sound is definitely better at high revs in the V10, but lower revs and idle favor the V8. Typical difference for a V8 vs any V10 or V12. Although, Audi did do a pretty good job getting a V10 to sound good.
- While seeming quicker than the V8, it's not an overpowering difference. For most driving and drivers, either engine set-up should be fine and comparable. It's just not a huge difference.
- Ride in the (V10) spyder vs the (V8) coupe seemed mostly the same. Maybe a bit more harshness in the spyder, but possibly due to suspension stiffening for the chop-top and the different engine weights, etc.
- Steering, MT6 and other controls are the same. Overall handling feels equal.
- Upgraded Nav video is somewhat better, but not vast.
- Road noise is definitely more noticeable in the spyder, with top up. Not bad, just more.
- Some slight body flex in the spyder, as is normally expected, but not much. Very firm, overall composition.
- Sight lines for windshield and especially over the quarters is somewhat compromised in the spyder. I put stick-on fish-eyes on all of my exterior mirrors to help compensate the rear quarter views.
- Top down driving is heavenly and even the drop down rear window in the spyder is a hoot. The best of all worlds and oh what sounds the pipes make, at higher revs, with the top down. It's what the spyder is all about! Minimal wind buffeting and conversation is OK with top down. The rear window acts as a good wind block and I see no reason to ever wrestle the other hard wind block into place.
And the picture takers are out all over the roadways! We should charge for photo's!