R8 Spyder Red Rocket Comes Home

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R8 Spyder Red Rocket Comes Home

R8 Spyder Red Rocket Comes Home

Finally picked up the 2011 R8 V10 Spyder this week. Made an 1100 mile, 2 day trip home in flawless fashion. Awesome car, even as we tried to mind the break-in protocols. Not a single issue with the car, although the cops stopped us twice, just to see the car and take pictures. Talk about exercising the heart!

Initial impressions, vs our former V8 coupe:
    - Engine sound is definitely better at high revs in the V10, but lower revs and idle favor the V8. Typical difference for a V8 vs any V10 or V12. Although, Audi did do a pretty good job getting a V10 to sound good.
    - While seeming quicker than the V8, it's not an overpowering difference. For most driving and drivers, either engine set-up should be fine and comparable. It's just not a huge difference.
    - Ride in the (V10) spyder vs the (V8) coupe seemed mostly the same. Maybe a bit more harshness in the spyder, but possibly due to suspension stiffening for the chop-top and the different engine weights, etc.
    - Steering, MT6 and other controls are the same. Overall handling feels equal.
    - Upgraded Nav video is somewhat better, but not vast.
    - Road noise is definitely more noticeable in the spyder, with top up. Not bad, just more.
    - Some slight body flex in the spyder, as is normally expected, but not much. Very firm, overall composition.
    - Sight lines for windshield and especially over the quarters is somewhat compromised in the spyder. I put stick-on fish-eyes on all of my exterior mirrors to help compensate the rear quarter views.
    - Top down driving is heavenly and even the drop down rear window in the spyder is a hoot. The best of all worlds and oh what sounds the pipes make, at higher revs, with the top down. It's what the spyder is all about! Minimal wind buffeting and conversation is OK with top down. The rear window acts as a good wind block and I see no reason to ever wrestle the other hard wind block into place.
    And the picture takers are out all over the roadways! We should charge for photo's!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: R8 Spyder Red Rocket Comes Home

Spyder pictures attached.

Simply stunning car. It looks amazing in red.

Love it!
    Currently Driving: '14 991 Carrera 4S, '18 TT-S
    Gone and Missed: '11 R8 V10, '09 R8 V8, '09 C63 AMG, '06 B7 S4, '94 NSX, '92 NSX

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Congrats! Red R8 is rare and looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by StuM View Post
    Finally picked up the 2011 R8 V10 Spyder this week. Made an 1100 mile, 2 day trip home in flawless fashion. Awesome car, even as we tried to mind the break-in protocols. Not a single issue with the car, although the cops stopped us twice, just to see the car and take pictures. Talk about exercising the heart!

Initial impressions, vs our former V8 coupe:
    - Engine sound is definitely better at high revs in the V10, but lower revs and idle favor the V8. Typical difference for a V8 vs any V10 or V12. Although, Audi did do a pretty good job getting a V10 to sound good.
    - While seeming quicker than the V8, it's not an overpowering difference. For most driving and drivers, either engine set-up should be fine and comparable. It's just not a huge difference.
    - Ride in the (V10) spyder vs the (V8) coupe seemed mostly the same. Maybe a bit more harshness in the spyder, but possibly due to suspension stiffening for the chop-top and the different engine weights, etc.
    - Steering, MT6 and other controls are the same. Overall handling feels equal.
    - Upgraded Nav video is somewhat better, but not vast.
    - Road noise is definitely more noticeable in the spyder, with top up. Not bad, just more.
    - Some slight body flex in the spyder, as is normally expected, but not much. Very firm, overall composition.
    - Sight lines for windshield and especially over the quarters is somewhat compromised in the spyder. I put stick-on fish-eyes on all of my exterior mirrors to help compensate the rear quarter views.
    - Top down driving is heavenly and even the drop down rear window in the spyder is a hoot. The best of all worlds and oh what sounds the pipes make, at higher revs, with the top down. It's what the spyder is all about! Minimal wind buffeting and conversation is OK with top down. The rear window acts as a good wind block and I see no reason to ever wrestle the other hard wind block into place.
    And the picture takers are out all over the roadways! We should charge for photo's!
    Hi Rosemary & Stu, well, it looks fantastic indeed, Stu, your analysis is spot on other than you will find the stored wind deflector does work really well, particularly at buffeting & stopping unwanted objects entering the car, the car interior can very dusty quickly without the wind stop on.

I’ve just got back from a 4 day Scotland driving trip ( couple of pics below ), stayed with MikeB on the West coast, the car really comes to life on fast bendy roads, my mate in his XKR could not keep up!

The wait is over, I bet you are now making excuses to just pop out in it and get something you don’t urgently need! I still do, enjoy.

Thanks MB. Great Scotland pix. Land of my grandfathers.

We truly do love the car so far, but now I wish I'd kept the V8 coupe too, just to have a matching set! Hmmm...new V8 Spyder?!
    We'll try the wind blocker. I had one (still in the garage now) for a former 2007 997 C4S and it was such a PIA that we never used it. I do like the rear window idea on the R8 spyder, which seems to help. Agree with the "dust and dirt".

Does the R8 wind blocker also block rearward vision from the interior mirror? Also, can the top go up with the blocker in place? Guess I can just go out and try it and see for myself, rather than bug you! Lazy me!

I'll have the windows tinted dark next week and also talk to the same guy about partial/full front end 3M coverage.

Now, if I can just get my 1967 Corvette BB convertible back from the shops, I'll have two red/black/black 'vert's to play with! Pix of both together, to follow soon - "Beauty and the beast".

The motto's for us all to live by:
    - So many cars...so little time
    - If it doesn't go vroom, it ain't sh*t
    - Think with your dipstick
    - Happy motoring

"Does the R8 wind blocker also block rearward vision from the interior mirror? Also, can the top go up with the blocker in place? Guess I can just go out and try it and see for myself, rather than bug you! Lazy me!"

Well, slightly, & yes, the top go's up uk, but I think it works well.

I am seriously thinking about a C1 Corvette, from these guys; www.kentcarcollection.com

Do you know of them Stu?

When you are visiting relatives you should come stop with us, 45 mins from Scottish border.

Regards

I'm not a fan of the coupe in red but the spyder looks just right.

Congrats!
    '10 Audi R8 V10 (daytona gray pearl effect, CF sideblades, titanium finish wheels, STaSIS exhaust/ECU)
    '12 Tesla Model S Signature Performance
    '11 Cadillac Escalade ESV
    '06 Lexus RX 400h
    '03 Chevy Corvette 50th Anniversary
    '94 Dodge Viper
    '69 Chevy Camaro SS/RS

Beautiful, congratulations!

That looks great...... I had never seen a Spyder with the top up, I imagined the roof worked and looked similar to the BMW 6 convert( and that appears to be the case).

Sounds like the cops should pay you for pics...did you get a 'get out of jail free' card, at least....;-)
    2009 Suzuka Grey/Cognac, CF Sideblade, MT6

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast