Audi R8 Forums banner

Carbon Fiber Shifter Ring problem

8K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Stealthmode4 
#1 · (Edited)
So my car has been in the shop for the last 5 weeks and I just got her back today. I had a Carbon Fiber shifter ring waiting to be installed so I got to it. Unfortunately I ran into some issues:

Auto part Wheel Technology Tire Automotive wheel system

One corner is too big and does not fit. Also, the way it is in the picture, the ring is pushing so tight against the side of the buttons, only the center button works. The other 4 buttons cannot move up or down.

Has anyone else who has gotten a CF shifter ring encountered similar issues? RS4Cab?

See less See more
#3 ·
#5 ·
Yeah I spent almost 30 minutes messing with it :mad: I even took the outter ring out (as seen in pic) so I can try different positions.

#7 ·
Where did you buy yours from? Which part did you grind off? What tool did you use?

#11 ·
That looks pretty good Bob. Where did you get that shift knob?

The vendor got back to me. I'm going to need to ship the thing back to Germany. I can't believe how expensive that is! Both FedEx and UPS don't have any options less than $80. I can go through USPS, which costs $35 and takes 6-10 business days. The parts are made to order, so the replacement has to be made from scratch, which takes 3-4 weeks :(

#13 ·
The shift knob is also from Neidfaktor but it won't come with red line i added the line with a red car decorative stripe very strong and looks good and the top logo not included, also i but the shift knob bottom thats extra, i have one extra carbon fibre shift knob for 6MT new but i think i want to keep it in case one day if i buy 6MT R8 its not the same 6MT and R-tronic ,i installed lots of carbon most of them from Neidfaktor, from Canada its even more expensive to ship.

#14 ·
Sigh, nearly 2 months later, I finally received my replacement CF shift ring. And guess what? Fitment issue again :mad: I specifically requested them to test fitment before sending it out and was told the fitment was perfect. I think the problem is that the tolerance is pretty tight, and the additional thickness of the CF overlay causes the ring to become too thick. It's pushing against the buttons and causing them to become stuck. I even did what Bestle suggested and dremeled off the part below the buttons that aren't visible when installed, that didn't help.

Looks like I will be requesting a refund :(

I wonder how other vendors like Neidfaktor or MACarbon got around this thickness problem? Do they grind it down a little before adding the CF overlay?

#17 ·
Weird that in Neidfaktor's pictures, some of them have the bottom covered, some of them don't:

http://neidfaktor.info/en/shop/audi-r8-inner-gear-shift-frame-carbon-fibre/

Everyone seems to be very happy with their product. So I'll probably go with them for my 3rd try :mad: Thank goodness I decided to hydrodip my stock ring for funsies, so at least that'll tie me over until I can get a proper replacement.

Gear shift Vehicle Car Family car Audi

#19 ·
#21 ·
So the vendor is sending me a THIRD ring to try. Should be here in 2 days. Maybe 3rd time is the charm?

Is it just me or is Neidfaktor kind of slow in responding to emails? Perhaps I'm just spoiled by Audi-OEM's quick response...

#23 ·
Still, would be nice when Audi-OEM starts selling for Neidfaktor.

#24 · (Edited)
Looks like 3rd time is the charm. When I got the new ring, I immediately noticed the different construction:

Eyewear Glasses Sunglasses Personal protective equipment Vision care

Any part that is not visible when installed do not have any CF overlay. Looks like those parts are just clear coated.

They went in smoothly and all buttons function without any problems.

Gear shift Vehicle Car Audi Family car

Thank goodness this saga is finally drawing to a close!

#26 ·
It only took two months :p I told them I'm not paying another $40 to ship the 2nd defective ring back; I've already done that once. If they want it, they will have to pay for return shipping.

#27 ·
Devious ...you've got the patience of a saint. Between this and the custom upholstery. Glad everything has worked out for you.

#29 ·
Alas, I have no patients, that's why I'm not a doctor ;)

Do you ever drive your car or is it always in bits for mods? :D
Sure feels that way sometimes! But I'm almost done with mods. A few more carbon fiber bits and I'll be DONE forever! :D

#31 ·
Same issue, I've had to pull it off, tape up the CF side and Dremel several times. I think its a few areas including the clip base themselves if they have been clear coates over making them thicker, and the backside by the buttons themselves below the flush line. You basically need to tape off the CF lined up to top of the buttons and Dremel it so it doesnt squeeze against the edge of the buttons. Need to be precise so it doesnt show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.