Windshield repair - Page 2

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windshield repair

Re: Windshield repair

that ClearPlex windshield film is looking like a good idea!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Msrp for R8 glass is $1,100.

Quote Originally Posted by ta70raiii View Post
    Wow! That is an expensive windshield! I'm surprised Safelite wouldn't do it.
    Yes WOW indeed, I'm equally surprised; I certainly would feel more comfortable having a national organization like Safelite that does this day in and day do the job.

As a side; the windshield replacement on my S600 was $3,600. The insurance told me that they would not pay for OEM glass and would only pay for generic replacement glass. After arguing with them, it turned out to be a moot point because no one made a generic windshield for my car and the insurance company had to pop for the OEM glass.

Jim

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

I'm assuming that the Aston dealer will have a local glass shop do the repair. Apparently they do all of the Aston replacements for them.
    $3600 for an S600 windshield makes me feel a little less pain

That's crazy expensive glass.

Then again, I just had to pay my CT state yearly excise tax on the R8 - $2,956... and that was for slightly less than a full year (bought in August and taxes run July 1 - June 30). Barf.
    2015 Audi R8 V10 | S-Tronic | Brilliant Red on Black | Carbon Blades | Carbon Trim | Sport Exhaust | Full Leather | Contrast Stitching | OEM 5-Piece R8 Luggage | Full XPEL Ultimate | Fully Stock | Original Owner

-- Other Vehicles --
    2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
    2012 Audi Q5

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
    That's crazy expensive glass.

Then again, I just had to pay my CT state yearly excise tax on the R8 - $2,956... and that was for slightly less than a full year (bought in August and taxes run July 1 - June 30). Barf.
    I surely do not miss the excise tax when I lived in MA!
    [GONE] 2012 Audi R8 5.2 | Ibis White | 6MT | CCB | Full Leather + Red Stitching | Custom Upholstery | CF Sideblades/Mirrors/Interior/Steering Wheel/Shift Knob/Shift Ring/Spoiler/Door Trim/Engine Vents/Inner Door Sills | Alcantara Headliner | Illuminated Sills | White Instruments | Titanium 5-Spoke | Capristo X-Pipe + Black Optics Tips | F1 Pinnacle Ceramic | XPEL Ultimate | Opti-Coat

In CT we actually pay a yearly city or town property tax. The mill rate determines the yearly fee.
    My town for example has a relatively low mill rate and therefore my property taxes on my home and cars are at least palatable.
    Ironically a town like Greenwich has a much lower mill rate than Hartford or New Haven.
    Go figure.

I will also go for ClearPlex windshield fim for sure because i am also looking to do https://www.safelite.com/windshield replacement[/URL]. So, it's a great idea !!
    Last edited by RS4Cab; 08-14-2019 at 10:16 AM.

I personally would go OEM I've had safelite replace a windshield before and the glass had a irregular angle made things look weird out of the right third of the windshield.

Recently replaced my windshield. Safelite would not touch it. There are no third party windshield replacements for R8 glass. They wanted to find an alternative to OEM but there were none.

Ultimately just bought the glass from the dealer ($1450 msrp paid $1100) and used the same installer the dealer uses. $400 for the install.

Two days later caught a rock behind a truck on the highway and you guessed it, small chip embedded into the glass. Glass tech came out and repaired 98% of it. If you didn't know where the knick was you wouldn't know there was one. Stay from behind semi trucks on the highway

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast