Question about Larini Valvetronic


  1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

    Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!
     
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Question about Larini Valvetronic

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rule12b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    144

    Question about Larini Valvetronic

    I feel like this is probably a stupid question but what the heck. . .I have the Larini Valvetronic on my GT. It came with two remotes so it cane run in the open, or closed position. Candidly, I think the car is quicker out of the hole with the valves closed and much quicker as the revs climb with them open. Can I eliminate the manual control and simply have it vacuum actuated like a factory system? The exhaust would be PERFECT imo if it was closed to say 3500-4k and then open the rest of the way up and under heavy load.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Rule12b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    144

    Re: Question about Larini Valvetronic

    OK, I'll bump this. I'm considering making a change. I love the exhaust, but with the valves open, my GT is a tad laggy out of the hole. All in all, I'm looking for something with automatic valves, that would function well with FI when I add the VF kit in the future. I love the wail of the Larini at WOT, but want something that's a bit less resonant at 100+ mph over stationed periods. Thoughts? Fabspeed I've heard and it's not what I'm looking for. I'm curious about the Frequency Intelligence Exhaust because it is RPM governed or manual. If I could RPM govern the Larini I'd probably just keep it. Heads up if someone thinks they might want mine. . .8 k miles, perf condition, with the ceramic coating, two remotes. . .

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    196

    Re: Question about Larini Valvetronic

    I've got a capristo and I feel that the car needs the valves closed to get going and then open around 3500-4500 RPM. Acceleration from a dead stop is a bit soft when the valves are open. I'm not sure about the other exhausts out there but I love that you can adjust the pressure where the capristo opens. I set my default mode to sport and set the valves to open at 45 mbar (default is 80 or 85 mbar for sport, 150 mbar in cruise). Stays quiet on the freeway but lets out a real scream when I punch the gas. Left cruise alone just in case I want to hear my girlfriends voice that day

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Rule12b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    144

    Re: Question about Larini Valvetronic

    Exactly my feeling but the Larini is only manual with the remote (or so I was told). If I could figure out a workaround like pretty much EVERY other valvetronic has (throttle position and/or RPM), the exhaust would be stellar. Seems pretty lame in my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by vpatel3473 View Post
    I've got a capristo and I feel that the car needs the valves closed to get going and then open around 3500-4500 RPM. Acceleration from a dead stop is a bit soft when the valves are open. I'm not sure about the other exhausts out there but I love that you can adjust the pressure where the capristo opens. I set my default mode to sport and set the valves to open at 45 mbar (default is 80 or 85 mbar for sport, 150 mbar in cruise). Stays quiet on the freeway but lets out a real scream when I punch the gas. Left cruise alone just in case I want to hear my girlfriends voice that day

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    196

    Re: Question about Larini Valvetronic

    Quote Originally Posted by Rule12b View Post
    Exactly my feeling but the Larini is only manual with the remote (or so I was told). If I could figure out a workaround like pretty much EVERY other valvetronic has (throttle position and/or RPM), the exhaust would be stellar. Seems pretty lame in my opinion.
    How is the Larini opening and closing the valves? If it's just using the existing vacuum lines just order it without the optional controller and order a controller from capristo. Another option would be get a Larini and take it to someone who can remove the valves and get some valves from capristo so they can be controlled like what I said before.

  8. #6
    Senior Member Rule12b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    144

    Re: Question about Larini Valvetronic

    I'll see if this is an option. My larini is simply controlled by a remote, like a car alarm remote. However, I'm not sure whether the actuator is vacuum or electrical.

  9. #7
    Supporting Vendor VividRacing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    103

    Re: Question about Larini Valvetronic

    They should be vacuum operated. It sounds like you may have their kit that overrides the factory settings. Typically, this kit just opens the valves manually and when they are 'closed' it is using the Auto setting from the factory.. Unless, of course, there is some custom work that occurred.
    Ryan 'Michael'
    Audi Performance Specialist

    Vivid Racing | Gilbert, AZ | Hidden Content
    480.966.3040 x270 | Email: Hidden Content
    KW | Vorsteiner | Brembo | BBS Wheels | Airlift | Bilstein | Armytrix | Tubi Style | Liberty Walk |Quicksilver | H&R | 1016

  10. #8
    Senior Member Rule12b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    144

    Re: Question about Larini Valvetronic

    Quote Originally Posted by VividRacing View Post
    They should be vacuum operated. It sounds like you may have their kit that overrides the factory settings. Typically, this kit just opens the valves manually and when they are 'closed' it is using the Auto setting from the factory.. Unless, of course, there is some custom work that occurred.
    No custom work that I know of. They are simply open or closed depending on the manual setting. IF closed, they do not open up at higher revs. Car always starts with them open. Maybe because I have the remotes, it supersedes the factory connection? I'm totally frustrated with the lack of information. I reached out to the shop I purchased it from and they simply don't respond.

  11. #9
    Supporting Vendor VividRacing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    103

    Re: Question about Larini Valvetronic

    Per Larini:

    "The valves in a Larini 'Valve Control' Exhaust System function exactly as per the factory valved exhaust – they open and shut at predetermined rev loads, and function via the vehicle's pneumatic feed pipes.
    One may purchase an OPTIONAL valve remote module kit which, once installed, will allow the driver to override the standard features by remote activating the valves so they either a) stay 'OPEN' always or b) return to original 'AUTO' functionality. (Please Note: We do not recommend driving at full throttle with the valves permanently shut, as this will provide a restriction to gas outflow)"

    I wonder if there is an issue with the system or if something was overridden during install.
    Ryan 'Michael'
    Audi Performance Specialist

    Vivid Racing | Gilbert, AZ | Hidden Content
    480.966.3040 x270 | Email: Hidden Content
    KW | Vorsteiner | Brembo | BBS Wheels | Airlift | Bilstein | Armytrix | Tubi Style | Liberty Walk |Quicksilver | H&R | 1016

  12. #10
    Senior Member Rule12b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    144

    Re: Question about Larini Valvetronic

    Quote Originally Posted by VividRacing View Post
    Per Larini:

    "The valves in a Larini 'Valve Control' Exhaust System function exactly as per the factory valved exhaust – they open and shut at predetermined rev loads, and function via the vehicle's pneumatic feed pipes.
    One may purchase an OPTIONAL valve remote module kit which, once installed, will allow the driver to override the standard features by remote activating the valves so they either a) stay 'OPEN' always or b) return to original 'AUTO' functionality. (Please Note: We do not recommend driving at full throttle with the valves permanently shut, as this will provide a restriction to gas outflow)"

    I wonder if there is an issue with the system or if something was overridden during install.
    Interesting question. When I start it up, the valves are definitely open and they stay that way. If I close them, then they stay that way too. I wonder if the GT-specific stock exhaust was valved? If not, then there is no "stock" actuation. I may go see the installer and ask some questions. . . .
    Last edited by Rule12b; 07-18-2019 at 11:45 AM.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements
     

Similar Threads

  1. FS: larini clubsport with valvetronic
    By ucf3 in forum For Sale - Parts
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-15-2019, 07:39 AM
  2. Larini Valvetronic Exhaust
    By kpg81 in forum For Sale - Parts
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-31-2018, 12:20 PM
  3. Larini Install Question - No heat Shield?
    By bctboston in forum Exhaust Systems
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-19-2015, 06:08 PM
  4. Larini Exhaust Gallardo w/ Larini Cats
    By losangelescar in forum For Sale - Parts
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2014, 02:02 PM
  5. Larini Clubsport Valvetronic V10, quick review (UK)
    By andrew186 in forum Exhaust Systems
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0