Questions for the VF Supercharged V10 owners out there.......

1. Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums – General discussion forum for Audi R8

Welcome to Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums - a website dedicated to all things Audi R8.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Audi R8 Forum : Audi R8 forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for the VF Supercharged V10 owners out there.......

Questions for the VF Supercharged V10 owners out there.......

Has anyone had a state inspection completed yet on their Supercharged car? I had one my first and my car failed two Readiness codes. One was the EVAC and one was the Secondary Air. I did not lose battery power so there was no reason for them to reset. I tried many times to just drive the car but all were still passed except those two. I even cleared my codes, which I had none to clear and drove from scratch but those two would never pass. I have a Vag-Com and spoke with Ross-Tech who suggested I run a group 200 (Runs all the Readiness codes) in my Basic Settings under Engine other, which I did. (I first drove over 100 miles through many types of driving.) When the system completed, car makes a bunch of sounds, all 8 Readiness codes showed a Pass and I was able to get my car inspected. The only thing that has changed through all of this is that I have my cold start back. My cold start was removed when the SC was installed and the ECM flashed. It's now back.....? The car is running great, no issues, CEL lights or codes thrown but it is odd that it has come back.

VF assured me that Vag-Com cannot alter their tune as it does not have access to those data tables, but the cold start is back. My thought is that the cold start, which is part of the Readiness process, has allowed those two Readiness codes to pass. It only passed after group 200 was run and my cold start returned. But how did it reset and maybe it should not be removed as it may effect others who are about to go for inspection. Can anyone with Vag-Com run a readiness check to see if their EVAC and Secondary Air are complete and passed? Is your cold start active or removed, I would like to know as I'm sure others too. I'm all good now, but I can't be the only one to experience this.....or can I?

Anyone have any thoughts or had a similar experience?

Steve
    2015 R8 V10 Spyder, VF-750 Supercharger, Diamond Stitch, Full Leather w/Carbon Fiber package, Sports Exhaust, Illuminated Sills, S-Tronic gearbox, Ceramic Brakes, Phantom Black Pearl, XPEL Clear wrap, Artic Ceramic, VELOS Solo VII Forged 20x8.5 front (235/30ZR20), 20x12 rear (325/25ZR20) Michelin Pilot Super Sport, H&R lowering springs, Pedal Box +

2. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Questions for the VF Supercharged V10 owners out there.......

Quote Originally Posted by stevant View Post
    Has anyone had a state inspection completed yet on their Supercharged car? I had one my first and my car failed two Readiness codes. One was the EVAC and one was the Secondary Air. I did not lose battery power so there was no reason for them to reset. I tried many times to just drive the car but all were still passed except those two. I even cleared my codes, which I had none to clear and drove from scratch but those two would never pass. I have a Vag-Com and spoke with Ross-Tech who suggested I run a group 200 (Runs all the Readiness codes) in my Basic Settings under Engine other, which I did. (I first drove over 100 miles through many types of driving.) When the system completed, car makes a bunch of sounds, all 8 Readiness codes showed a Pass and I was able to get my car inspected. The only thing that has changed through all of this is that I have my cold start back. My cold start was removed when the SC was installed and the ECM flashed. It's now back.....? The car is running great, no issues, CEL lights or codes thrown but it is odd that it has come back.

VF assured me that Vag-Com cannot alter their tune as it does not have access to those data tables, but the cold start is back. My thought is that the cold start, which is part of the Readiness process, has allowed those two Readiness codes to pass. It only passed after group 200 was run and my cold start returned. But how did it reset and maybe it should not be removed as it may effect others who are about to go for inspection. Can anyone with Vag-Com run a readiness check to see if their EVAC and Secondary Air are complete and passed? Is your cold start active or removed, I would like to know as I'm sure others too. I'm all good now, but I can't be the only one to experience this.....or can I?

Anyone have any thoughts or had a similar experience?

Steve
    Coincidentally, I'm going in tomorrow for my first DMV inspection on my ESS SC kit, last August after the install it had no trouble passing, and after the shorted ECU gremlin was sorted last winter, the car has run flawlessly since, including two days on track at Watkins Glen. I'll update the thread tomorrow to see if we ran into a similar problem....
    2012 Audi R8 V10 coupe, 6M, silver/CF/black, ESS Tuning 760 SC, GMG valveless 3" sport exhaust/130R silver wheels 19X9F-19X12R, GR dive planes/CF rear wing, OEM-Motorsports RS grille, P3 boost gauge, Sprint Booster, KW V3 coilovers/mag ride delete, Michelin PSS 245/35-19F, 325/30-19R. "The Silver Bullet."

2007 Audi RS4 sedan, 6M, red/black, MTM Lysholm twin-screw SC/exhaust/clutch-LWFW/wheels 19X9, KW V3 coilovers, Hotchkis F/R sway bars, Michelin PSS 275/30-19. "The Cherry Bomb.

Got the R8 state inspected today without mishap.
    2012 Audi R8 V10 coupe, 6M, silver/CF/black, ESS Tuning 760 SC, GMG valveless 3" sport exhaust/130R silver wheels 19X9F-19X12R, GR dive planes/CF rear wing, OEM-Motorsports RS grille, P3 boost gauge, Sprint Booster, KW V3 coilovers/mag ride delete, Michelin PSS 245/35-19F, 325/30-19R. "The Silver Bullet."

2007 Audi RS4 sedan, 6M, red/black, MTM Lysholm twin-screw SC/exhaust/clutch-LWFW/wheels 19X9, KW V3 coilovers, Hotchkis F/R sway bars, Michelin PSS 275/30-19. "The Cherry Bomb.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Al,

Was your cold start active after the SC was installed? Mine was not as VF turns it off after the tune. Mine is now active again after I ran Vag-Com. I know my tune was not affected as it does not have access to that, and the car runs great. I'm thinking that's what the problem was as that is needed in order for the Readiness codes to pass from what I have read. Readiness codes also passed after it came back so looks like a logical conclusion, but who's logic?
    2015 R8 V10 Spyder, VF-750 Supercharger, Diamond Stitch, Full Leather w/Carbon Fiber package, Sports Exhaust, Illuminated Sills, S-Tronic gearbox, Ceramic Brakes, Phantom Black Pearl, XPEL Clear wrap, Artic Ceramic, VELOS Solo VII Forged 20x8.5 front (235/30ZR20), 20x12 rear (325/25ZR20) Michelin Pilot Super Sport, H&R lowering springs, Pedal Box +

Quote Originally Posted by stevant View Post
    Al,

Was your cold start active after the SC was installed? Mine was not as VF turns it off after the tune. Mine is now active again after I ran Vag-Com. I know my tune was not affected as it does not have access to that, and the car runs great. I'm thinking that's what the problem was as that is needed in order for the Readiness codes to pass from what I have read. Readiness codes also passed after it came back so looks like a logical conclusion, but who's logic?
    Yes, my cold start remains active with the ESS tune. Not sure why VF would code it out, since it obviously doesn't mitigate performance after warmup-and to my understanding it's only there to warm up the cats and to increase ignition to prevent stalling, but it is interesting that running all the readiness codes would bring it back. VF's SC package is obviously well designed and sorted (the only reason I didn't go for their SC kit was I preferred the Whipple twin screw over the Roots blower), so I am curious to know the reason for this phenomenon.
    Last edited by Al Pettee; 08-20-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: More info.

I just ran another Readiness check just to see and all are passed, and there were no fault codes of course. I started the car up and the cold start is there. Car is running great, so I am just as curious to know why. I spoke with VF about it on Friday and they were kind of curious why too, as Vag Com does not have the ability to change the file. I'm going to stick to my theory that the cold start is part of the Readiness process and when I ran a Group 200, Readiness check, it must have completed as that is exactly when it came back. Maybe my ECM was not 100% complete before it was sent back? Maybe there is a process after the tune to run Readiness to make sure all is working correctly? Not sure if you can do that without being hooked up to the car. VF questioned whether or not my car actually had the cold start delete which I know for sure it did. Hopefully another VF SC chimes in to see if this is something they experienced with a cold start delete at time of inspection. Glad to see you had no issues.

Just wanted to clarify that my cold start was never actually removed but it was deceased to about 2 seconds after the SC and tune were added. It has since now increased to it's original, approx. 30 seconds.

Maybe I should rephrase my questions as I only received one members response. My coldstart changed from 30 seconds to about 2 seconds after my SC install. I was told that was the norm and know others with the same after their install. After running VagCom to run my Readiness codes for my State inspection, even though my car was now prepped for inspection which it passed, the cold start has returned to the full 30 seconds. Any thoughts? Has my tune been compromised? I was told no, but why would this happen? There has to be a reason. Do my ECM's need to be flashed again? How can VagCom do that? Car seems to be running great with no fault codes, just an FYI .
    Last edited by stevant; 08-22-2017 at 04:39 AM.

I've got the VF750 and my cold start is approximately 30 seconds, so I believe that is normal with the SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

same as above- pre and post VF s/c 30 second cold start
    2011 v10, 6 speed, lava gray, 3m, VF750 supercharged, GR wing/splitter and vent covers, custom steering wheel, sprint booster, fabspeed exhaust, lowered on H+R springs, 10/12mm spacers, powder coated wheels, PS2, K+N....

13. Remove Advertisements
    Audi R8 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast